Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 06:05 AM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times

Advertisements

Don't forget the teachers union. The minute they try to reign in any kind of costs or teacher benefit extra curricular activities get chopped because teachers salaries and benefits are untouchable. I dated a teacher and she got $300/day some days in the summer to come in and play with her laptop for a few hours and go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 06:55 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Perhaps this guy could be a legitimate challenger: NY Sen. John DeFrancisco confirms he's running for governor | syracuse.com

Old 01-31-2018, 07:38 AM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I stand corrected, NY is gaining population slower than other states. Its 33rd out of 51 including D.C.
Well, yes and no - you're partially correct.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-counties/ny/

Old 01-31-2018, 10:06 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
Well, yes and no - you're partially correct.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-counties/ny/
Most of the growth is in the highly populated counties, while the losses are in less populated counties. So, the net is still slower growth on a state level. This is for a state that is 30th in land size and is essentially about to have 20 million people.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:40 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
I find nothing that Cuomo has done deserving of him being called successful. There Buffalo Billions was tainted with corruption and fraud. The Federal gov't is now withholding money because Cuomo put up tourism signs on the thruway even though he was told that they were not approved by the Federal gov't. He has until Sept 2018 to get these removed or we lose Federal funding. Come to find out that Cuomo had his hands in the company that won this contract.

His Excelsior scholarship program does not benefit the people it was marketed too.

The guy wants to run for President and will pander and say anything for votes. My son already moved out of state - we plan on leaving in a few years as taxes are outrageous. Schools closing and yet my school taxes doubled due to the teacher's union and the retirement benefits. I applaud teacher's but unions with their demands are bleeding the middle class dry.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:05 AM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I find nothing that Cuomo has done deserving of him being called successful. There Buffalo Billions was tainted with corruption and fraud. The Federal gov't is now withholding money because Cuomo put up tourism signs on the thruway even though he was told that they were not approved by the Federal gov't. He has until Sept 2018 to get these removed or we lose Federal funding. Come to find out that Cuomo had his hands in the company that won this contract.

His Excelsior scholarship program does not benefit the people it was marketed too.

The guy wants to run for President and will pander and say anything for votes. My son already moved out of state - we plan on leaving in a few years as taxes are outrageous. Schools closing and yet my school taxes doubled due to the teacher's union and the retirement benefits. I applaud teacher's but unions with their demands are bleeding the middle class dry.
I meant successful in terms of getting elected not accomplishing anything.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:13 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be fair, FL has a different governmental structure in terms of schools and a good portion of the population has no need for schools(i.e.-retirees).

NY has always been a “gateway” state for immigrants. So, that isn’t anything new either.

NY’s density likely plays a part in regards to infrastructure and development.

There are other aspects that are just different as well. With that said, the people of the state have never demanded anything in terms of a plan in order for change to occur. People mention forms of consolidation or other ideas, but there is push back, even from so called people that complain and want change. So, I actually wonder if people that actually want change, really are willing to do the things that need to be done for that to be a reality. We’ll see...

That is true, but the schools here are different. An example , is that each county has its own school,district in Florida. So for example, Lee County in Florida has the Lee County School District, 1 county , one school district

Now take Orange County, NY, off the top of my head we have Monroe-Woodbury, Chester, Warwick Valley, Pine Bush, Cornwall, Washingtonville, Minisink, Middletown, Port Jervis, Wallkill, Newburgh and some others . This is for one county !!!!! Each of these school district has a superintendent who makes close to $200,000, each school,district has their own administrative personnel, assistant superintendents, etc.

That is a lot of money.

So when people tell me why did you move to Florida the schools stink I say the only difference between my current school district and the one I had in NY is that here the teachers make about $40,000 annually, not six figures like in NY. Now many of the schools in Florida aren't that good but you have to do your research ( like on City-data.com) and find some counties in a Florida that have highly rated schools. Or any state for that matter to search for highly desirable schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York