Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 05:13 PM

77 posts, read 89,937 times

Advertisements

What's it like? It seems to be very pretty area. What are the jobs and shopping like is it a family area or middle of nowhere? Was looking at the land for sale and home prices seemed low. I know Sidney NY had some environmental issues from what I remember reading. It's also seems pretty close to Cooperstown NY which has a good vibe for things to do. Anyone in the area jump on in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 05:48 PM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcm1232 View Post
What's it like? It seems to be very pretty area. What are the jobs and shopping like is it a family area or middle of nowhere? Was looking at the land for sale and home prices seemed low. I know Sidney NY had some environmental issues from what I remember reading. It's also seems pretty close to Cooperstown NY which has a good vibe for things to do. Anyone in the area jump on in.
What environmental issues in Sidney are you referring to? Flooding has been an issue that I can think of in the area.

What made you consider Franklin?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 PM

I am browsing looking for land not really set on an area. But has to be able to accommodate animals I am trying to find a happy medium to be close enough to my mother in LI but I feel that wont't be doable. I tend to gravitate all the way up north more so still browsing until I find an interesting area. I would love to know if the gateway to the Adirondacks project is going to take off or not. But the Sidney thing I believe it was the tie factory issue know I found something a while ago because I was researching and the town seemed close and some of the old homes were in great shape for their age. I am a sucker for the old woodwork. This is what I found https://semspub.epa.gov/work/02/363455.pdf Eventually I am just going to have to bite the bullet and decide if I want up north or close to NYC. I am torn and waiting for something to jump out at me hahaha..

Old 02-02-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcm1232 View Post
I am browsing looking for land not really set on an area. But has to be able to accommodate animals I am trying to find a happy medium to be close enough to my mother in LI but I feel that wont't be doable. I tend to gravitate all the way up north more so still browsing until I find an interesting area. I would love to know if the gateway to the Adirondacks project is going to take off or not. But the Sidney thing I believe it was the tie factory issue know I found something a while ago because I was researching and the town seemed close and some of the old homes were in great shape for their age. I am a sucker for the old woodwork. This is what I found https://semspub.epa.gov/work/02/363455.pdf Eventually I am just going to have to bite the bullet and decide if I want up north or close to NYC. I am torn and waiting for something to jump out at me hahaha..
Franklin is quite some distance from the village of Sidney. So, that environmental issue likely doesn't have any bearing on Franklin. I could be wrong and maybe someone with more insight could clear things up in that regard. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sidn...9!2d42.3406373

What about parts of say Orange, Sullivan or even Dutchess counties?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:39 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,616 times
I will never understand the appeal of the towns off of 88 between Bing and Schenectady. If you've ever driven this highway, it feels very remote and almost forgotten about.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I will never understand the appeal of the towns off of 88 between Bing and Schenectady. If you've ever driven this highway, it feels very remote and almost forgotten about.
Yeah, that is the impression I get and outside of Oneonta and maybe a couple of other towns, I don’t know if I could do it.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, that is the impression I get and outside of Oneonta and maybe a couple of other towns, I don’t know if I could do it.
It's actually a very creepy drive in the early morning hours and evenings lol. I remember I was driving south once from Albany and stopped at a rest stop somewhere off of 88 and it was the most eerie, creepy place ever.

I don't even think I could do Oneonta. Although I hear SUNY Oneonta is a great party school.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:15 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Funny, but the "remote" factor is exactly what attracted me to the area. I'm a little SW of Oneonta, but still very remote. If I could have dealt with the extra drive time from downstate, I would have probably ended up in one of those forgetten areas north of 88. Beautiful country up there.

To the OP...

Franklin area is not that bad a drive from LI - depends on what you consider a long drive. Places like Sullivan County do cut down drive time quite a bit, but it is also more populated and more expensive.

There are other options. There are many areas along the Delaware County/Ulster County and Greene County lines that can cut up to an hour off the trip (compared to Franklin). Think exits 19-23 off the Thruway and head west a little bit (Or Rt 17 and head north a little).

Old 02-02-2018, 10:41 AM

Something else I just thought of that may be worth some consideration in terms of Delaware County is this Electric Coop, which has lower rates: Delaware County Electric Cooperative, Inc. | Powering Our Rural Communities

Service Area | Delaware County Electric Cooperative, Inc.

Some of the towns listed not in the county, but in the service area could be worth looking into as well.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:20 PM

Default Franklin NY

Thank you all for your comments. I will look into all of that. I spoke with my mother she will eventually come to wherever I go so the commute from Long Island to where I decide to be is not as important as it was. My concern was for her drive time and convenience to come see us. I don't mind remote to live but want to be within a hour to shop at a mall or big stores and things to do. I may go back to looking at the Cooperstown/Saratoga Springs area. Like Brodabin. I didn't see a thread for that on here so I guess I will start one. Either way I am heading up from NC in May sometime to start checking the areas out. I think once I actually settle down on a place city data will throw me a party hahaha... Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York