Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 10:19 AM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from WNY, the Lockport area specifically. I left in '94, but am considering swinging through my old stomping grounds this summer. I'll be on a 2-week motorcycle trip and carry a handgun when I travel. A great many states have concealed carry permit laws that recognize my Idaho permit, and I tend to focus on those states. Some others don't, but respect your right to own a gun, so long as the gun and ammo are locked up in separate compartments (I have 2 lockable saddlebags so all is good). And the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 protects those simply traveling through a "non-2nd amendment" state, so long as you don't stop/stay in the state (fuel stops excepted).

Now, I would like to come and spend 2-3 days visiting friends and seeing the sites, and visit my parents graves. Is there any way a NYS non-resident can legally possess (even locked up and unloaded) a handgun in the state for a temporary stay? IIRC NYS doesn't recognize any concealed carry permits issued by the rest of the country-is that correct? I have really lost track of NYS laws since leaving. From what little I have heard it sounds as if they have gotten far worse and more restrictive.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 10:23 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
NO!!!! No handguns! In fact, I wouldn't bring a rifle, nor shotgun either, but technically, depending on model, some MAY be legal.

Go here:

Handgunlaw.us

Old 02-10-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
NO!!!! No handguns! In fact, I wouldn't bring a rifle, nor shotgun either, but technically, depending on model, some MAY be legal.

Go here:

Handgunlaw.us
Thanks, I was thinking that was the case, but hoping not. Once you get out of the state and see what a free state is like, NYS seems even more backwards. Especially at a time when most of the rest of the country has enacted concealed carry laws, reciprocity and in some places constitutional carry. I was hoping they had maybe turned things around since I left.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:07 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Looking at the laws online it seems NYC and NY State gets intermixed in the explanations with the city being much stricter than the state. One article even stated that most NY State permits are not acceptable in New York City but they have how many illegal guns committing crimes....

I would contact the state police and have them tell you what steps/procedures should be adhered to while traveling, at least you will have the information from a valid source.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:17 AM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm originally from WNY, the Lockport area specifically. I left in '94, but am considering swinging through my old stomping grounds this summer. I'll be on a 2-week motorcycle trip and carry a handgun when I travel. A great many states have concealed carry permit laws that recognize my Idaho permit, and I tend to focus on those states. Some others don't, but respect your right to own a gun, so long as the gun and ammo are locked up in separate compartments (I have 2 lockable saddlebags so all is good). And the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 protects those simply traveling through a "non-2nd amendment" state, so long as you don't stop/stay in the state (fuel stops excepted).

Now, I would like to come and spend 2-3 days visiting friends and seeing the sites, and visit my parents graves. Is there any way a NYS non-resident can legally possess (even locked up and unloaded) a handgun in the state for a temporary stay? IIRC NYS doesn't recognize any concealed carry permits issued by the rest of the country-is that correct? I have really lost track of NYS laws since leaving. From what little I have heard it sounds as if they have gotten far worse and more restrictive.

Thanks.
Yeah, especially with the passage of the "Safe Act". Il Duce boasted after it's passage that those that do not think like him are not welcome in New York.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Yeah, especially with the passage of the "Safe Act". Il Duce boasted after it's passage that those that do not think like him are not welcome in New York.
Is that Cuomo Jr? I left right after daddy had been defeated. That particular D-bag was the reason NYS didn't have capital punishment. Senate and assy had pass the bill, daddy vetoed it. IIRC Pataki did sign the bill the year after I left. I thought he brought the hope of some sense coming to the state.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Is that Cuomo Jr? I left right after daddy had been defeated. That particular D-bag was the reason NYS didn't have capital punishment. Senate and assy had pass the bill, daddy vetoed it. IIRC Pataki did sign the bill the year after I left. I thought he brought the hope of some sense coming to the state.
Indeed it is. But the rest of them are just as bad. Il Duce even had the balls to name the new Tappan Zee bridge after his father. Talk about condescension.

Overall Pataki wasn't much better. I've met him on several occasions while he was Mayor of Peekskill and knew his parents when they ran a little vegetable stand on Frost Lane off the Bear Mountain Parkway. George Pataki believed in and stood for the political career of George Pataki, that's about it. He swore to me that he'd never sign into law any gun control legislation.* Did an about face as soon as he became Governor. Did an about face again when he wanted to run for president.** Will the real George Pataki please stand up? He sure had me fooled. He's a typical New York RINO, a politician's politician. Hopefully his political career is over.

I left in 2010 for Arizona, one of the last bastions of freedom.

Quote:
*Pataki Signs Nation's Strictest Gun Controls - nytimes.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/.../nyre...-controls.html
Aug 09, 2000 · At a place best known as a scene of random, irrational violence, Gov. George E. Pataki today signed into law the strictest gun controls in the country.

**Gov. Pataki: Treat mentally ill, don't tighten gun laws ...
http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/.../georgepatakiHU20150626
Former New York Goernor and GOP presidential hopeful George Pataki stands near the stranded boat ... be dictating what states do to manage their gun laws, ...

Old 02-12-2018, 08:24 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
NYS is the last place you want to be caught with a gun, even if it's legal lol.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
NYS is the last place you want to be caught with a gun, even if it's legal lol.
Especially if it's legal. If you get my drift.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Looking at the laws online it seems NYC and NY State gets intermixed in the explanations with the city being much stricter than the state. One article even stated that most NY State permits are not acceptable in New York City but they have how many illegal guns committing crimes....

That is correct. NYS issues a statewide permit per penal code section 400. That permit is good statewide, except NYC. NYC exercises “homerule” and has their own process. A NYC permit is usually a “home” permit (unless you are rich and very well connected) which isn’t valid in the rest of the state.

Quote:
I would contact the state police and have them tell you what steps/procedures should be adhered to while traveling, at least you will have the information from a valid source.
With all due respect, that is not good advice. The SP cannot/will not provide legal advice. Anything they do tell you over the phone will not be “law” in any way shape or form. I know of a few people who called with questions about the safe act and received very different answers to the same question.

To the OP - as has been mentioned, NYS does not recognize a pistol permit from any other state. Basically, you are guilty of a felony if you bring your handgun into the state.

The federal safe passage laws will usually protect you, but since you are not “passing through” they are not applicable to your situation.

Oddly, there was a relatively recent court case that now allows a non-resident to own/posses a handgun in NYS. It’s known as the Osterweil case. Long story short, if you own property such as a vacation home in New York and also have a pistol permit in your home (domicile) state, you are able to apply for a NYS pistol license in the county where you have the home. Depending on the county, that NYS permit may or may not be easy to obtain. Legally, they must consider the application. Again, that doesn’t help the OP, but it does provide a path for a non-resident to legally possess in NYS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York