Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 04:51 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

I recommend Ithaca! You can live in a small valley town nearby and be in the city within minutes. Ithaca's economy has been gaining steam and there is plenty to do there.

You won't have to sacrifice interesting topography and you'll gain access to a massive lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 01:56 PM

401 posts, read 551,553 times
Manhattan comes to mind. Although in recent years, I've been in contact with people who lived upstate for example: near Syracuse, Binghamton, Albany, Rochester, and Buffalo (and a few small towns that border Canada). I currently go to grad school in Long Island and a lot of my classmates from those regions would move back in a heartbeat. Long Island is crazy expensive at times, some towns feel very slow paced or a bit hectic for example (you have some neighborhoods that feels like Queens, NYC and then some others that are near the shores and have a beach-town vibe especially in the summers. Although going out east is great too, Suffolk County in Nassau is a hidden gem but often secluded).

People I know who live in Binghamton - they like the feel of the city although I know people who have gone to SUNY Binghamton (actually many people), they liked the school but said the area around wasn't so great.

Albany - the few people I know from there like it but say it's kind of boring. The huge perk is just empty roads and the scenery/space available is nice.

Rochester - one person I know always says it's home but admits she feels safer walking the streets of NYC than Rochester. Apparently a quite sketchy city.

Buffalo - so I know a handful of people who are from here. Most of them loved living there and actually miss it. I've heard the food is absolutely phenomenal. Not too far from Toronto. Very likable, friendly people. Oddly enough, I've seen them party harder than most people at my school ahah (clubbing in Manhattan or just hanging out in Long Island at restaurants/bars - a lot of these Buffalo people seem to have great time management skills so this of course can be an anomaly).

Syracuse - not really familiar with too many people who are from there but they're very friendly and give off that "small town" feel in a good way.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:58 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Williamsport, with gas wells and pipelines and associated things about, honestly is probably better for a blue collar person who likes some space between them and their neighbor, than anyplace in NYS - barring some very specific occupational classification.

If they just need to get some hours between them and Williamsport for relationship reasons, perhaps the area just north of Pittsburgh (Beaver/Butler counties) might be worth looking into, upside potential with the gas drilling and the cracker plant, plus better access to city culture than you will find in Billtown. There are interesting aspects to the hilly topography thereabouts, and big rivers and reservoirs such as Moraine State Park.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:18 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdefinitely View Post
Manhattan comes to mind. Although in recent years, I've been in contact with people who lived upstate for example: near Syracuse, Binghamton, Albany, Rochester, and Buffalo (and a few small towns that border Canada). I currently go to grad school in Long Island and a lot of my classmates from those regions would move back in a heartbeat. Long Island is crazy expensive at times, some towns feel very slow paced or a bit hectic for example (you have some neighborhoods that feels like Queens, NYC and then some others that are near the shores and have a beach-town vibe especially in the summers. Although going out east is great too, Suffolk County in Nassau is a hidden gem but often secluded).

People I know who live in Binghamton - they like the feel of the city although I know people who have gone to SUNY Binghamton (actually many people), they liked the school but said the area around wasn't so great.

Albany - the few people I know from there like it but say it's kind of boring. The huge perk is just empty roads and the scenery/space available is nice.

Rochester - one person I know always says it's home but admits she feels safer walking the streets of NYC than Rochester. Apparently a quite sketchy city.

Buffalo - so I know a handful of people who are from here. Most of them loved living there and actually miss it. I've heard the food is absolutely phenomenal. Not too far from Toronto. Very likable, friendly people. Oddly enough, I've seen them party harder than most people at my school ahah (clubbing in Manhattan or just hanging out in Long Island at restaurants/bars - a lot of these Buffalo people seem to have great time management skills so this of course can be an anomaly).

Syracuse - not really familiar with too many people who are from there but they're very friendly and give off that "small town" feel in a good way.
To be fair to Rochester, it is like most at least decent sized American cities that have a range of neighborhoods.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:27 AM

49 posts, read 45,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Where in PA are you coming from? This may help manage expectations.
Lycoming County.

As for size. Im thinking the outskirts of a "Pittsburgh-like" city.

My experience is in factory and truck driving.

NY is an option because of schooling in the future for my kids.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Williamsport, with gas wells and pipelines and associated things about, honestly is probably better for a blue collar person who likes some space between them and their neighbor, than anyplace in NYS - barring some very specific occupational classification.

If they just need to get some hours between them and Williamsport for relationship reasons, perhaps the area just north of Pittsburgh (Beaver/Butler counties) might be worth looking into, upside potential with the gas drilling and the cracker plant, plus better access to city culture than you will find in Billtown. There are interesting aspects to the hilly topography thereabouts, and big rivers and reservoirs such as Moraine State Park.
Williamsport, PA? Its become crime ridden tbh.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:31 AM

Lots of great info on this post. Thank you everyone

Old 03-25-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
Lycoming County.

As for size. Im thinking the outskirts of a "Pittsburgh-like" city.

My experience is in factory and truck driving.

NY is an option because of schooling in the future for my kids.
Yeah, I’d say Buffalo and Syracuse, if you don’t mind a smaller area. In terms of the latter area, there are a few companies that come to mind such as McLane, G&C Foods and Byrne Dairy.

In terms of a community, are there certain things that you are looking for?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I’d say Buffalo and Syracuse, if you don’t mind a smaller area. In terms of the latter area, there are a few companies that come to mind such as McLane, G&C Foods and Byrne Dairy.

In terms of a community, are there certain things that you are looking for?
Good Schools, safe, activities for kids (sports, cub/boy scouts, etc) an "involved" community per say.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
Good Schools, safe, activities for kids (sports, cub/boy scouts, etc) an "involved" community per say.
That would be most suburbs, but given the places of employment I mentioned in the Syracuse area, I’d say areas/SD’s like Baldwinsville, West Genesee and East Syracuse-Minoa are a few to look into or would/could fit. Those are a few districts within a close proximity/short commute to those facilities.

Is community size a factor? Walkability? Character of community(more blue collar, white collar, rural, a mix...)?

Hopefully others will chime in with other suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York