Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:34 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC96 View Post
I totally agree. I think it is just a fad and people are doing it because everyone else is. If you are talking about 'cheaper' in NC, it does not seem much less expensive than the NYC metro region AND since obviously there are so many 'transplants' from the NYC area in NC, you likely will encounter the same horrible NYC / Long Island attitude that many are trying to get away from (maybe that is why the native NC hate the transplants from the NE so much)

In 5 years NC will likely be no different than North or Central Jersey with obscene housing prices & taxes
NYC96-
lol- good thought- that is also happening in S. Florida. The best thing is to probably go against the trend!

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 08:55 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
NYC96-
lol- good thought- that is also happening in S. Florida. The best thing is to probably go against the trend!

sunny
Yes that is why I am moving to Austin TX. There are many apartments for less than $1,000 a month and less of that NY / LI / NJ / Westchester attitude that you can't get away from on the east coast.

Most of NC that NY'ers seem to be flocking to seems like a sterile wannabe uptight suburb like Westchester, Nassau & most of Suffolk county not to mention ALOT like North or Central Jersey. There is more to life than a cookie cutter home, mall chain stores, keeping up with the joneses & never talking to anyone (because you never leave your car or are on your phone )

Old 12-12-2006, 11:12 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
I've long wondered what exactly started the great migration to North Carolina as well. I can admire what North Carolina has to offer and certainly see the benefits New Yorkers see in life down there in terms of milder winters, cheaper housing, more space and such, but it just seems like such a random spot to serve as the nexus of this growth. Why not Alabama or Tennessee or South Carolina? Although I know that some are going to these places as well, it seems that NC has taken the brunt of it.

I too think North Carolina is beginning to become oversaturated and that some of the things that wound up drawing people to the area like the space and the cost of living, will wind up mirroring the New York that they left behind. Just like how many ex-New Yorkers are leaving the "original North Carolina" of South Florida because it's not what it once was.

Lastly, I also believe that many people get blinded by the image, by the low taxes and the big homes and such and don't realize what they're getting themselves into when they move down there, especially those who move to more rural areas. There are many many posts and threads started by dissatisfied New Yorkers (and others) living in North Carolina and oftentimes many of them complain about things that I'd have thought they would've known just doing basic research on their new towns, like the shopping options or the public schools and such. I think people need to look beyond the dollar signs to see what they're trading in for in other aspects as well because North Carolina doesn't seem to sit well with some people.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
And someone please describe all these 'amazing jobs' compared to the NYC area?

If you find you aren't finding employment in your native state, you may want to look at your resume & interviewing skills first (assuming that you offer more than unskilled labor) before spending serious money relocating to a place that you probably won't be happy in.
it has nothing to do with a lack of interviews skills or resume..the salaries have gotten terrible, and well most people are underpaid, my husband has been in IT management for 17 yrs, and If I tell you what they want to pay its disgusting and with times changing and things going up, where in NC my husband has been interviewing with alot more opportunities there and well the salary, he isnt taking a big pay cut so alot of people that he has worked with have left NYC because the jobs arent paying what they should and alot of competition for the same job...

Old 12-13-2006, 05:37 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
And someone please describe all these 'amazing jobs' compared to the NYC area?

If you find you aren't finding employment in your native state, you may want to look at your resume & interviewing skills first (assuming that you offer more than unskilled labor) before spending serious money relocating to a place that you probably won't be happy in.

I know in the RTP area - there is a lot of Bio research and Cisco maintains a large presence there too. As I have posted previously, pay is lower than the Northeast and it is not as cheap to live here as people think it is. And the climate is only 10 degrees warmer on average than CT. No big deal there.

Last edited by BigHouse9; 12-13-2006 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Add comments

Old 12-13-2006, 05:41 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I've long wondered what exactly started the great migration to North Carolina as well. I can admire what North Carolina has to offer and certainly see the benefits New Yorkers see in life down there in terms of milder winters, cheaper housing, more space and such, but it just seems like such a random spot to serve as the nexus of this growth. Why not Alabama or Tennessee or South Carolina? (snip)...
Aha, you put very succinctly what it was I was trying to get at... the "randomness" - why NC, not somewhere else equally warm, "desirable" etc. like SC, or VA, GA? It is the relative proximity?

Old 12-13-2006, 05:41 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
Most of NC that NY'ers seem to be flocking to seems like a sterile wannabe uptight suburb like Westchester, Nassau & most of Suffolk county not to mention ALOT like North or Central Jersey. There is more to life than a cookie cutter home, mall chain stores, keeping up with the joneses & never talking to anyone (because you never leave your car or are on your phone )
We did our research and moved to NC to help take care of a sick family member. After moving down here, nothing has been done to help the sick family member and all the research in the world does not allow one to realize that life is as you described it, "cookie cutter home, mall chain stores, keeping up with the joneses & never talking to anyone (because you never leave your car or are on your phone )". A perfect summarization.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:14 AM

31 posts, read 138,363 times
I think Virginia used to be the place where people were going, now people are looking to move a little further away...it's too close to Washington DC too close to cities that stretch out and starts being expensive. We are considering N.C. but we want to live in the foothills because we love the topography!! My son is in college, so we don't have to worry about him in the schools which I heard are overcrowded and not that great. We are not at retirement age, but we will have a much less stressed life by not having to make a fortune to survive, like we do on Long Island, NY. I think people like knowing they can come back to visit family and it's not a horrific drive, but it's far enough away to make a difference. I'm sure there are other beautiful places to live, and we have looked around, and who knows...we might wind up in Montana eventually???

Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
We did our research and moved to NC to help take care of a sick family member. After moving down here, nothing has been done to help the sick family member and all the research in the world does not allow one to realize that life is as you described it, "cookie cutter home, mall chain stores, keeping up with the joneses & never talking to anyone (because you never leave your car or are on your phone )". A perfect summarization.
Although you cannot tell anyone in NC that. I am in AZ now but would LOVE to live in NY. We did 2 years in NC. Totally over rated. But you cannot tell people on the NC forum that, they do not accept it. And I am sorry but everyone is not as nice as they say there either!!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
Aha, you put very succinctly what it was I was trying to get at... the "randomness" - why NC, not somewhere else equally warm, "desirable" etc. like SC, or VA, GA? It is the relative proximity?
It is not Random- it has to do with the RTP, and the bankin in Charlotte - a nexus for a certain sort of job...
You get the job you had in NY, make the same, or about the same $, slash the commute & property taxes.

Without the jobs in tech, pharma & banking you would not have as many coming to the same places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York