Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 02:05 PM

109 posts, read 95,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
False & misleading title. Furthermore NYS allows kids to take college courses in HS. My nephews took college courses in high school on Long Island. My nieces in Buffalo just graduated HS with college credits. They graduated with college credits. Many of the colleges offer the opportunity to take college courses while in HS. Maybe there's some unusual circumstance with your child such as not meeting the requirement to take college courses.
Not misleading, my post is SPECIFIC to math classes, the Algebra 2 class, not just any college class or AP class. Your nieces and nephews took college courses at their HIGH SCHOOL. I'm asking about the opposite, taking a college level class not at HS but by driving to the local COLLEGE CAMPUS and getting both high school and college credit for it.

After I posted this, the next day 6/26 I spoke to the Dept. Chair and the issue seems to be that the class, Algebra 2, is a REGENTS class and according to NYS Regents rules, the instruction must be at the HS in order to sit for the regents exam (seat time)?? If the college course covers the same material, what is the difference??

This class, Algebra 2 is a prerequisite to both AP Physics and Intro to calc, that will be post-phoned to senior year instead of junior year unless the school would allow credit and "seat time" for Algebra 2 regents. Again he could have doubled up Alg 1/ Geo in 9th grade or Geo/Alg 2 in 10th grade and avoided the situation he's in now but guidance counselor did not do a good job of explaining the consequences or my son didn't understand the consequences.

Also local college admissions starts at 17 and my son is only 16 1/2, so can't just register, need a letter of recommendation from both guidance counselor and principal plus approval from dean.

Last edited by Paoluccm; 07-01-2018 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 07:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,642,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post
Not misleading, my post is SPECIFIC to math classes, the Algebra 2 class, not just any college class or AP class. Your nieces and nephews took college courses at their HIGH SCHOOL. I'm asking about the opposite, taking a college level class not at HS but by driving to the local COLLEGE CAMPUS and getting both high school and college credit for it.

After I posted this, the next day 6/26 I spoke to the Dept. Chair and the issue seems to be that the class, Algebra 2, is a REGENTS class and according to NYS Regents rules, the instruction must be at the HS in order to sit for the regents exam (seat time)?? If the college course covers the same material, what is the difference??

This class, Algebra 2 is a prerequisite to both AP Physics and Intro to calc, that will be post-phoned to senior year instead of junior year unless the school would allow credit and "seat time" for Algebra 2 regents. Again he could have doubled up Alg 1/ Geo in 9th grade or Geo/Alg 2 in 10th grade and avoided the situation he's in now but guidance counselor did not do a good job of explaining the consequences or my son didn't understand the consequences.

Also local college admissions starts at 17 and my son is only 16 1/2, so can't just register, need a letter of recommendation from both guidance counselor and principal plus approval from dean.
The Regents requirements drive me nuts. The problem with not taking the Regents for Algebra 2 is that your son (not anything to do with his academic prowess) *might* fall short in whatever the prescribed number of math classes a student requires to graduate with a NYS Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation. In short, the school is concerned about its own NYS report card.

The current Regents exams are Common Core Regents -- my youngest (class of 2017) was in the grade that had to take both the old format and new CC format. The CC format was a disaster. Mistakes in questions, questions which had outcomes which would allow for more than 1 correct answer, muddy questions, etc. I do NOT envy your son or any child who has to take the CC Regents. Something is telling me that is why they aren't allowing anyone to double up.

(What became of the ancient format: Algebra, Geometry, Trig, Pre-calc? Typical NYS -- mess with something that worked.)

FWIW the student can take an AP exam without taking the AP class in HS. I know several students who have done so and received 4s and 5s.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:54 AM

109 posts, read 95,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
FWIW the student can take an AP exam without taking the AP class in HS. I know several students who have done so and received 4s and 5s.
What is the process to just take the AP exam and can you take test anytime or when exams are usually taken at end of year?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,642,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post
What is the process to just take the AP exam and can you take test anytime or when exams are usually taken at end of year?
I haven't taken that route with my own children, however, there were some students who did. Here's the College Board page which is your best source for answers.

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/t...ring-for-exams

[QUOTEExam Taking Guidelines
You can take as many AP Exams as you want; in fact, with the exception of AP Capstone, the AP Program doesn’t require you to take an AP course before taking an AP Exam.] [/quote]

One thing I will note: if your child is leaning toward a certain field and schools, be aware that some schools will not accept the AP credit if the class is one within the student's major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: