Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times

Advertisements

My impression of this district was that it was a very loyal pro-Trump area even though not always Republican. In 2016, I saw a lot of Trump-Pence signs all over Columbia County, as well as the general feeling one gets when attending the Columbia County fair. Democrats tried to field progressive candidates in the past couple of elections but they were defeated.

What happened in that allowed Delgado to win? Was there a sudden change in the electorate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 07:23 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
He won big in Ulster, Dutchess and Columbia Counties, while losing the more rural portions of the district.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:29 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
Ulster for some reason always votes Democratic...I never understood why during my time living in the HV...

Old 11-09-2018, 03:14 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
^ It probably didn’t hurt that his wife is from Ulster County and he lives in Dutchess County, which are the 2 most populated counties in that district.

More information: https://m.timesunion.com/local/artic...t-12909994.php

Old 11-09-2018, 04:26 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Woodstock, Saugerties, New Paltz could have been more left leaning.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:04 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
What happened in that allowed Delgado to win? Was there a sudden change in the electorate?

I'm blown away that Delgado could win. Then again, I'm more familiar with the more rural parts of the district.

I'm not sure the electorate changed, although there has been a big influx of hipsters in recent years. Maybe that NYC hipster mentality has been re-awakening the hippies that inhabit the area?

Delgado ran a hard campaign. I was at an event up there a few weeks back. Some ladies from the local election board were there registering voters. While supposedly impartial, they reminded everyone that it was an important election because we had to "get rid of Faso."

I spoke with them a while. Their reasoning was that Faso is a racist (somehow due to the ad pointing out Delgado's previous attempts at being a rap artist and being a NYC transplant).

Their big policy issue was Obamacare. Faso is against it. (I reminded them I wanted to know a reason to vote against Faso, not for him). They believe that without Obamacare, local farmers would not have health insurance.

True/False, good/bad... doesn't matter. The point is that Delgado got his message out there into the sticks and recruited loyal supporters to sell his message.

In a state where the Republicans are all RINOs, it isn't surprising that the R "base" gets fed up and either doesn't bother to vote or flips to D. Little difference between the two sides. I feel that is what happened across much of the state this past election - a backlash. With the heavy progressive agenda the democrats are proposing, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:35 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
My impression of this district was that it was a very loyal pro-Trump area even though not always Republican. In 2016, I saw a lot of Trump-Pence signs all over Columbia County, as well as the general feeling one gets when attending the Columbia County fair. Democrats tried to field progressive candidates in the past couple of elections but they were defeated.

Upstate is changing, just like what remains of certain areas of Staten Island, Brooklyn and so forth.

Old timers are leaving (the area and or this earth) and you have plenty of democrat/liberal/hipster or whatever moving in changing things.

As such you saw in Columbia County same program democrats/liberals ran with in NYC that pushed plenty of "democrats in name only" and or what remains of republicans (Dan Donovan) out of office.

Face it; New York is fast (if not already) becoming one bleeding heart liberal state from tip to toe. Anyone who wishes to avoid fall out from that needs to make plans, otherwise beatings will continue until morale improves.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Ulster for some reason always votes Democratic...I never understood why during my time living in the HV...
A lot of hippies live there. Even Jimi Hendrix and The Band stayed there at one point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York