Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 PM

28 posts, read 110,003 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...

I'd like some helpful information to anyone familiar with Owego, NY, located in Tioga County. I live on Seneca Lake, in the heart of the finger lakes, and my girlfriends and I do a weekly 'girls day out' each summer, as we are all schoolteachers.
Our goal is to visit neat towns within 2 hours of home to explore their restaurants, shopping (clothing, antiques, gifts, crafts, etc),farmers markets, art galleries, museums, and whatever else they have to offer.
We have had some great days in Corning, Skaneateles/Marcellus, East Aurora, Canandaigua, Pittsford, Ithaca, and Armory Square in Syracuse.

We have heard that Owego is a quaint little place and would be exactly in line with what we are looking for. Does anyone know anything about this village? Any information you can give me about this town (or any others in Central and Western NY!!!) would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 10:49 AM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times
So...what do you need to know?

Old 06-27-2007, 01:26 PM

I would love to know about any neat attractions, stores, restaurants, museums, galleries, markets, and scenery that this little village might have.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Owego info

Best way into Owego would be to come in on RT17 east. Take the Owego(1st) exit. Come Across the bridge into the village. Turn to the left. Park somewhere down along Front Street. Walk back down Front Street past the bridge to the shops. If you come in during the morning, stop at the Awakenings Coffee house /cafe for gourmet coffee, tea , etc..
There are a couple of nice shops in that strip of older buildings on the way to "Awakenings". Afterwards continue east up Front Street past numerous
large older homes. The river will be on your right. Continue your walk up to the next light...about a 1/4? mile. There will be a light at a "t" intersection. Don't continue straight. Take a left up this short street. At the end(and across) this street you will see a deli/bakery.." Everyone's Country Store". Might want to see if they've done any fresh bread etc..that morning(Closed Mon?).
Now you should be walking back west into village. Pass by the courthouse, the 2 drugstores, and the old school on your left. Just past the old school(has bathrooms..it's a county building...has paintings of the county on the front of it)take a left back up to Front street.
Hang another left...walk by more older/large homes, continue east back towards you car. The county museum on Front street may be open(very neat)..and if you're stiil hungry, the old "Parkview Hotel"(near the donut shop) has very good lunches.
This will give you a decent walk around Owego (basically a rectangular loop). Tue-Sat 9-1pm would be a optimum time.
Hope all this is of some help. Owego isin't spectacular by any means....but has it's good points. By the way, there's an annual jazz festival here, twicw monthly antique shows, and other things going on in our county.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:56 AM

ps....This walk I described is all on level ground(no hills) and w/sidewalks(in case one of your group has some limitations.)

Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,315,694 times
Nice tour layout Tioga. Makes me wish I was going along for the walk.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:20 AM

If there were only some way to get some $$ out of the free p.r. I do for my county......LOL!

Old 06-28-2007, 06:07 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,315,694 times
LOL, yeah, Ithaca owes me some funding too (and I don't even live there anymore ).

Old 06-29-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Best way into Owego would be to come in on RT17 east. Take the Owego(1st) exit. Come Across the bridge into the village. Turn to the left. Park somewhere down along Front Street. Walk back down Front Street past the bridge to the shops. If you come in during the morning, stop at the Awakenings Coffee house /cafe for gourmet coffee, tea , etc..
There are a couple of nice shops in that strip of older buildings on the way to "Awakenings". Afterwards continue east up Front Street past numerous
large older homes. The river will be on your right. Continue your walk up to the next light...about a 1/4? mile. There will be a light at a "t" intersection. Don't continue straight. Take a left up this short street. At the end(and across) this street you will see a deli/bakery.." Everyone's Country Store". Might want to see if they've done any fresh bread etc..that morning(Closed Mon?).
Now you should be walking back west into village. Pass by the courthouse, the 2 drugstores, and the old school on your left. Just past the old school(has bathrooms..it's a county building...has paintings of the county on the front of it)take a left back up to Front street.
Hang another left...walk by more older/large homes, continue east back towards you car. The county museum on Front street may be open(very neat)..and if you're stiil hungry, the old "Parkview Hotel"(near the donut shop) has very good lunches.
This will give you a decent walk around Owego (basically a rectangular loop). Tue-Sat 9-1pm would be a optimum time.
Hope all this is of some help. Owego isin't spectacular by any means....but has it's good points. By the way, there's an annual jazz festival here, twicw monthly antique shows, and other things going on in our county.

Thank you so much for all of your information!!! It is indeed helpful. Often when we have lived in an area for quite some time, we forget what a gem it is. I'm looking forward to spending time in Owego.

Have you heard of the River Rose Cafe? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about it.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:56 PM

49 posts, read 356,034 times
Default Owego Photos

This is an old thread, but I thought some photos might be nice.....

Hickories Park

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York