U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-06-2008, 11:27 AM

538 posts, read 1,205,513 times
Default Must be NYC's fault right? Wrong....

The Buffalo News: Home: New York's ‘public pension bomb’ ticking away (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,433 times
Nice article, but IMO the union contracts should be thoroughly scrutinized
by the public, then there would be less chance of someone "taking advantage" of the system. In reality, if its written into the union contract then I don't believe they are doing anything illegal or wrong.
BTW, I don't understand your subject line as the author doesn't mention anything about NYC in the article.

Unread 04-07-2008, 12:37 PM

538 posts, read 1,205,513 times
upstaters often blame their high taxes on LI and NYC. Ignoring that the local governments have a lot of control over that via industry (or lack of) and controlling costs of municipal employees. As a homeowner in northern NY....I have seen enough of it.

Unread 04-07-2008, 04:45 PM

2,900 posts, read 5,732,643 times
Hello,
I do understand both the article and the feelings of this post, and I will agree that there are some cases of abuse.
If you don't mind, let me just share another perspective, hopefully without getting flamed.

I am a union firefighter with 18 years on the job. I honestly try to work hard, and I am proud to serve the public. I work for one of the busiest fire depts in NY ,( calls per employee ).

Recent contracts have cut our dept staffing severely. We actually respond to calls not meeting the minimum OSHA and NFPA safety staffing levels. We have begged the city to hire more of us, but they refuse. Last month they actually cut new fire boots from the budget, deciding instead to give that $1000 to "Go Art".....a local artists group. Oh well.

Anyway, I work overtime when it comes around. I also teach EMT classes in addition to my regular working schedule at straight time. That does get included in my annual salary, which does factor into my retirement someday, (perhaps...it depends on other factors to complicated to get into now).

The point I'm making is that when I work overtime either teaching or on a rig, the city is making more money , a profit , then they are paying me. They bill for ambulance calls and for teaching and for many of the "Extra" stuff I do. So yes, I am making more money, but more so are they.

The other point is that THEY say overtime saves them money because they do not have to pay extra for benefits, for training, or for more bunker gear, helmets, boots, uniforms, etc.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not complaining. I love my job and try my best to do it well. We see things most people never see and have to do things most could not. Even with overtime factored into whatever my retirement pension ends up being, it will not be anywhere near the numbers in that article.

The only thing I'm saying is that the city has two options....hire more people (to maintain our already low minimum staffing, at a lower "new hire" wage), or pay overtime. THEY choose to pay the overtime. It is not always our choice.

I'm not asking for an argument.....just wanted to respectfully give another perspective.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York