Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,171 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the CT forum but wanted to get some NY opinions too!
Sorry to add another one of these threads, but a lot of the ones I saw were for more the Stamford/White Plains area and I wanted some info for the comparison outside of Westchester County.

My husband and I just moved to the Hartford area after growing up in Fairfield County and New Fairfield respectively.

As luck would have it, my husband got a job offer we can't pass up. And it's in Dover Plains. So not only am I looking at packing up our entire 2bed/2bath apartment that we JUST finished unpacking, and trying to wiggle our way out of this lease, we are now faced with the NY vs CT discourse. We are not sure if we will be buying or renting - if we end up renting it will be for a year and then we will want to buy.

My husband works 12+ hour shifts on a rotating Days/Nights schedule, so a 30/40min commute is a hard maximum. I have a part-time retail gig, and I'm not super worried about finding something immediately after we move.

I know taxes in NY and CT are high and fairly comparable, but I'm just not sure if it makes more sense to look in Dover Plains/surrounding Dutchess County areas, or if we should stick to CT border towns (Kent, New Milford, Sherman, etc)

We are trying to get pregnant after a miscarriage this fall, so schools are definitely a concern in the near future, as well as the fact that we have a dog and a cat and so many apartments don't allow pets. For rent our budget is approx 1450 and we prefer 2bd/2br, and for houses we'd be looking at under 250k. Yes I realize this would probably be a small/starter home and/or a fixer upper in any of these areas. Any insight would be great!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 04:17 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Houses on the CT side of the border are expensive both to buy and rent. With your house and rent budget, you'll also have difficulty finding a decent rental within 20 miles of Dover Plains in NYS. Linked below are Craig's List rentals within 20 miles of Dover Plains. There are also lots of apartment communities in the Poughkeepsie- Wappinger's Falls area that don't advertise on Craig's List.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...date=all+dates

Old 12-26-2018, 10:12 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
I already commented on the CT board, but will point out over here as well that eastern Dutchess is more closely aligned with CT than with, say, Poughkeepsie - people in Dover often work, shop, and get medical care in New Milford and Danbury. New Milford is also really not all that expensive relative to NYS - plenty of Dutchess/Putnam/Westchester transplants there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York