U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:50 AM

38 posts, read 14,575 times

Advertisements

The newly emboldened Democratic-led New York State Legislature waded into the battle over immigrants’ rights on Wednesday, approving a bill that for the first time offers undocumented students access to state financial aid and scholarships for higher education.

The New York bill will affect an estimated 146,000 young people who were educated in New York public schools but have been ineligible to receive financial aid under federal and state law, according to analysis by the New York State Youth Leadership Council and N.Y.U. Law School’s Immigrant Rights Clinic.

“These young undocumented immigrants will work, they will pay taxes, they will buy products, and the greater earning capacity they have the more taxes they will pay,” said Democratic State Sen. Luis Sepúlveda. “This is one piece of legislation where we must get beyond the anti-immigration fervor created by President Trump and see the benefits educating these young people has for our state.”

But many Republicans say that the measure diverts funds away from legal residents and comes at the expense of taxpayers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/23/n...?module=inline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 11:14 AM

1,121 posts, read 346,645 times
Oh boy. Yeah I just posted a duplicate topic about this hot button issue. Yeah, it is more benefits for criminals.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 AM

It should be noted that CUNY is not even a school. The classes and degree programs and buildings and students are just a front for their business. It sounds wild eyed but CUNY's business is racism and crime. They are not here to educate anybody.

CUNY should be shut down.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:53 PM

5,078 posts, read 1,297,734 times
Reposting:

State lawmakers on Wednesday passed the DREAM Act, a bill that allows undocumented immigrants to access state financial aid, including the Tuition Assistance Program, to pay for college tuition.

Dreamers contribute $115 million in state and local taxes every year. He noted that the cost of the bill would be $27 million annually, a fraction of what young immigrants contribute to the state's economy.

According to excerpts the original post:
158,000 Dreamers contribute $115,000,000 a year in taxes.
That averages out to $727.85 per person.
The bill would only cost $27 million a year. That is approximately $170.89 per person per year.
Invest $170.89 per person for a return of $727.85 or profit of $556.96 per person per year in tax dollars.
On average, a dreamer contributes $556.96 per person per year in tax dollars.

I contribute more than 10X that in property taxes which in sum of all New York City
property owners supplies almost 70% of all revenue towards education.
Don't even get me started on State and Tax................................Where is the fairness?
Oh....I know Bill Boy only raised my property taxes for year 2019 by another $500 dollars.
Thankyou Mr. DiBlasio for levying the property tax once again by just mere pennies..........Sarcasm.........
Whew..............am I lucky.....Sarcasm.
Why aren't you working at reducing rates to keep the tax levy flat or obtain approval for any tax increase?
Why not hold public hearings like other States before adopting the annual budget?

In the last 5 years,mind you 5 years only the levy increase has been over 38%
in New York City compared 4% for Long Island and 5% for areas upstate New York.

How much are you paying in taxes on each of your houses in New York City Mr.DiBlasio ?
I bet your house is worth 5 times more than mine and you are
paying less than half in property taxes than me.
Where's the fairness?

So you kind of know how I feel now about approving financial aid to undocumented immigrants to access
state financial aid for a college education to which I must say................I paid my way thru college also with special aid.
Except my financial aid was called Working nights to pay for my education.
Thanks for burdening the New York City property owner once agian Mr.DiBlasio.
Thanks.................for nothing........

Old 01-27-2019, 09:00 AM

Are undocumented people commiting any crimes being in NYC illegally? If so, why do law abiding citizens have to pay for criminals to be here commiting their Trespassing crimes 24/7/365+?

And that really what it is: they are blatantly trespassing here and they know it without a doubt.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:24 AM

6,065 posts, read 3,190,975 times
I wonder how much even liberal NY can take of this Far Left before people say enough is enough.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I wonder how much even liberal NY can take of this Far Left before people say enough is enough.
I will be the first man in NYC to put my balls out here on the line.

Enough is enough. It is war.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:14 AM

84 posts, read 34,280 times
I've personally been responsible for getting dozens of illegals deported over the last 2 years.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMan View Post
I've personally been responsible for getting dozens of illegals deported over the last 2 years.
How do you do that? How do you think that helps any?

Have you heard they are now regularly sneaking over the border in very-large groups of 200, 300, 400+. It is a regular occurrence now. Every day the border patrol is catching very large groups sneaking over the border.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:10 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,424,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

There’s nothing to take.. just leave the state and vote with your feet. That’s the biggest F U you can give Cuomo and his cronies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or