Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,018 times

Advertisements

OK.

I read the "Trashing of Plattsburgh" and I do understand where the author is coming from if you are looking for a totally amazing singles, club-hopping scene, then no, don't come to Plattsburgh. If the young woman is looking for great schools, attempting to finish her Human Services degree, wants to connect with other people through her child or work or school or all of that, then the Burgh would be a great place for her. I doubt if she could afford to live in Burlington where the average home price was recently quoted as being 350,000 and rents are equally as expensive. The college here is very underrated and as Nunoco stated there are tons of events that never get any press at all. We just went through play season for all the local high schools and colleges and if someone wants to do something with their child, there are skating clubs, community plays, the YMCA has tons of activities for families (singles, too).........There are drinking clubs downtown, yes, but I think much of the drinking centers around the lack of seeking other things to do. There are usually the Friday night coffeehouses which feature a lot of family entertainment on weekends and a new movie theatre is being built and we have the usual indoor recreation play places, bowling, team sports such as hockey and great kids soccer teams where she would meet lots of other parents (some of them single).........I think if the child is starting kindergarten soon, she would be as busy as she wanted to be. The schools absolutely love parents and welcome them. The city library is great for kids and the lake bike path and hiking trails can be great for kids as well. There is a great outdoor columnist who writes about all the places he took his kids up here when they were young..........fishing, hiking, sledding, skiing, and there is a lot to be said about learning history here and heading to Montreal for some of the museums. I was up there this weekend and it is always amazing.........and just riding the Metro and seeing the gardens and Biodome is a treat for kids..........More ideas, just ask...............I don't think my kids could have had a better childhood, school, neighbors, or life than here. Just my opinion, but there must be a reason that the area is growing and people are still moving here...........There are no glamour jobs, but people are honest and real and I have found that they are very welcoming............It might be just the place for the mom to finish school, have a part-time job, get a great start for her child's education and not have to pinch every penny for gas and housing.......and worry that her car will be jacked or she will be mugged if she is out after dark coming home from work...........Depends on what you are looking for..........?????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 AM

10 posts, read 53,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
OK.

I read the "Trashing of Plattsburgh" and I do understand where the author is coming from if you are looking for a totally amazing singles, club-hopping scene, then no, don't come to Plattsburgh. If the young woman is looking for great schools, attempting to finish her Human Services degree, wants to connect with other people through her child or work or school or all of that, then the Burgh would be a great place for her. I doubt if she could afford to live in Burlington where the average home price was recently quoted as being 350,000 and rents are equally as expensive. The college here is very underrated and as Nunoco stated there are tons of events that never get any press at all. We just went through play season for all the local high schools and colleges and if someone wants to do something with their child, there are skating clubs, community plays, the YMCA has tons of activities for families (singles, too).........There are drinking clubs downtown, yes, but I think much of the drinking centers around the lack of seeking other things to do. There are usually the Friday night coffeehouses which feature a lot of family entertainment on weekends and a new movie theatre is being built and we have the usual indoor recreation play places, bowling, team sports such as hockey and great kids soccer teams where she would meet lots of other parents (some of them single).........I think if the child is starting kindergarten soon, she would be as busy as she wanted to be. The schools absolutely love parents and welcome them. The city library is great for kids and the lake bike path and hiking trails can be great for kids as well. There is a great outdoor columnist who writes about all the places he took his kids up here when they were young..........fishing, hiking, sledding, skiing, and there is a lot to be said about learning history here and heading to Montreal for some of the museums. I was up there this weekend and it is always amazing.........and just riding the Metro and seeing the gardens and Biodome is a treat for kids..........More ideas, just ask...............I don't think my kids could have had a better childhood, school, neighbors, or life than here. Just my opinion, but there must be a reason that the area is growing and people are still moving here...........There are no glamour jobs, but people are honest and real and I have found that they are very welcoming............It might be just the place for the mom to finish school, have a part-time job, get a great start for her child's education and not have to pinch every penny for gas and housing.......and worry that her car will be jacked or she will be mugged if she is out after dark coming home from work...........Depends on what you are looking for..........?????????
No one is trashing Plattsburgh. I am just telling the girl how it is living up here. Ok, maybe a was a little harsh but Plattsburgh is detached from the rest of NY state. Milliezeta, come up a see it for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
and worry that her car will be jacked or she will be mugged if she is out after dark coming home from work
Oh yeah, all other places outside of Plattsburgh you won't get mugged or car jacked either. If anything, Milliezeta should be the one to come up here and make a decision, not listen to others who might not have a clue. Forums like this is to get an idea, but then again, you don't know who everybody is!!! Plus, Milliezeta should be looking for people in her age group and learn from those.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,018 times
Post Definitely.........

No other way than to check it out for herself, of course!!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:32 PM

36 posts, read 118,670 times
I truly want to thanks each and everyone of you guys, I think all the responses were great. I will continue to do further research.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:09 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,778,884 times
Hmm, I know more folks who have moved from upstate NY to the Harrisburg area than vice versa. But I would probably move back north if we could find work. (Huge if, that.) Upstate NY has much larger cities with less traffic than Harrisburg.

I'm wondering if you've thought of this for something to do in Central PA with your little one: Family Hiking in Southcentral Pennsylvania

I notice it's the OP who's renewed the old thread. I wonder if you've considered the Ithaca area. After one establishes NY residency then The College of Human Ecology, Cornell University-Home might not seem entirely out of reach. The Sciencenter, Ithaca NY is great, although not huge. Job situation is not good at all despite nominally low unemployment, think PhD's in secretarial jobs. But perhaps your experience might work with some social agency like The William George Agency for Children Services - although I'd bet https://www.ultirecruit.com/mil1004/.../ListJobs.aspx pay more.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Hmm, I know more folks who have moved from upstate NY to the Harrisburg area than vice versa. But I would probably move back north if we could find work. (Huge if, that.) Upstate NY has much larger cities with less traffic than Harrisburg.

I'm wondering if you've thought of this for something to do in Central PA with your little one: Family Hiking in Southcentral Pennsylvania

I notice it's the OP who's renewed the old thread. I wonder if you've considered the Ithaca area. After one establishes NY residency then The College of Human Ecology, Cornell University-Home might not seem entirely out of reach. The Sciencenter, Ithaca NY is great, although not huge. Job situation is not good at all despite nominally low unemployment, think PhD's in secretarial jobs. But perhaps your experience might work with some social agency like The William George Agency for Children Services - although I'd bet https://www.ultirecruit.com/mil1004/.../ListJobs.aspx pay more.
Thanks for the reply, I have update this posting and truly still undecided. I agree with you 100 % in your first paragraph, it seems like upstate has a huge job problem, and that makes me second guess. As you may know there is almost nothing to do around the Central part of PA, unless you willing to travel.. I will check the place for family hiking, sounds interesting. I havent thought about Ithaca, maybe I would do some research. Thanks....

Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliezeta View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have update this posting and truly still undecided. I agree with you 100 % in your first paragraph, it seems like upstate has a huge job problem, and that makes me second guess. As you may know there is almost nothing to do around the Central part of PA, unless you willing to travel.. I will check the place for family hiking, sounds interesting. I havent thought about Ithaca, maybe I would do some research. Thanks....
What is your skill set in terms of work? Upstate NY, in general, is a nice place to live and you would probably enjoy it. Here is some information on the area I live in: Central New York Jobs

City of Syracuse

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

Onondaga County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Museum Information - Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science &amp Technology

Downtown Syracuse

Open Hand Theater

Rosamond Gifford Zoo

The Great New York State Fair :: August 27 - September 7, 2009 :: Syracuse, NY

syracuse apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

and much, much more..... I hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is your skill set in terms of work? Upstate NY, in general, is a nice place to live and you would probably enjoy it. Here is some information on the area I live in: Central New York Jobs

City of Syracuse

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

Onondaga County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Museum Information - Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science &amp Technology

Downtown Syracuse

Open Hand Theater

Rosamond Gifford Zoo

The Great New York State Fair :: August 27 - September 7, 2009 :: Syracuse, NY

syracuse apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

and much, much more..... I hope this helps.
Thanks ckhtnakgod, this was good information, I am going to take my time and look into all of these... My skill set is in the Human Service field, I am still persuing my bachelors in the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York