U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 01:17 PM

16,631 posts, read 11,758,020 times

Advertisements

What can you guys tell me about Indian Lake? Everything and anything is welcome. Still on my quest for a second home purchase in a few years and everywhere I go out of state has struck out so far for various reasons. Time to start checking out more of the Adirondacks for possible honey holes!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 11:20 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,364,763 times
Why the Adirondacks? You live downstate if I recall.

Don't get me wrong... it is beautiful up there and there are some great real estate deals. However, the winters can be brutal and the long drive from downstate gets old quick.

I went through the same process a few years back. Coming from LI, I decided 3.5hrs was the max I would travel. I found something right at the edge of that. I still don't mind the drive, so I picked right (for me). Much further and I might be regretting the decision.

I hear you about out-of-state. I gave PA a good hard look. Really wanted to find something there. All I did was come away thinking that the extra taxes I pay in New York might actually be worth it. (gasp!)

Sullivan, Ulster, and Delaware Counties have some very nice areas. Not much further away is the Mohawk Valley and Otsego County - absolutely beautiful. Last I looked there were some good deals in the areas around Cooperstown.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:38 PM

I'm one of those weirdos who loves the cold weather and snow AND road trips.

As for the Adirondacks, it's my favorite place in the country. I've lived in Colorado and Arizona and have spent significant time in about 8 other states, plus traveled to some extent to 42 of them. The mountains of Colorado come close for me, but the politics of the state turn me off now and it's clearly not easily drivable. When I make this move, I will need to be within a reasonable distance of home due to my children and other family members. I'm working hard to pay off my current home so I can keep it while owning the second one somewhere else.

There's just something about the Adirondacks that keeps drawing me back. I typically spend a few weekends every year up there, but always around Schroon Lake. When I purchase, I want to be more isolated than that area though if I am committing to staying in NY for what will likely be the rest of my life.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-22-2020, 06:14 AM

81,459 posts, read 109,285,735 times
If you want a possible happy medium between the Adirondacks, Lake Ontario and the 1000 Islands, while still having access to a bigger area for some shopping, I would consider Lewis County. Low property tax rates, with access to shopping in the Utica-Rome or Watertown areas depending on where you live in the county(a little bit in Lowville too) and you get the weather you want, while being close to outdoor amenities.

If you want to be closer to the mountains, I personally would look around Croghan/Beaver Falls(Beaver River SD) or say around Port Leyden/Lyons Falls(South Lewis SD). The latter has easier access to Old Forge and to Utica for shopping or events. If you want to be closer to say Fort Drum for access to things there, areas like the Copenhagen SD, rural parts of the Lowville SD NW of the village or parts of the Carthage SD within the county. Then, you have places like Harrisville near St. Lawrence County or the portion of the county near the Tug Hill Plateau, where it is sparely populated(think Montague or Barnes Corners, but you would have to love snow and consider a snowmobile).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-22-2020 at 06:47 AM..

Old 01-22-2020, 08:17 AM

Most of those areas though are too far from the City for my trips home and possibly even days where I drive down and back as I get older.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Most of those areas though are too far from the City for my trips home and possibly even days where I drive down and back as I get older.
What is your driving limit?

Old 01-22-2020, 08:42 AM

For these purposes I’d prefer to stay around 4.5 from Staten Island, 5 at the most. Indian Lake looks to be just over 4.5 on a good day.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
For these purposes I’d prefer to stay around 4.5 from Staten Island, 5 at the most. Indian Lake looks to be just over 4.5 on a good day.
Yeah, Port Leyden is about 4.75 from Staten Island. Would you consider some of the places in the Catskills mentioned by Joe461?

Old 01-22-2020, 10:33 AM

I’ve always felt like the Catskills feel too depressed for me. I owned land in Sullivan County years ago. Sold it due to insane taxes. I’m in the Catskills far more than the Adirondacks but only due to proximity. Day trips for hunting/fishing are much more accessible there obviously.

My uncle owns a place outside of Oneonta that I frequent as well. Beautiful area but I need more “big woods” when I retire. I’m big into backpacking camping trips, just got my wife into them last year. Otsego County isn’t exactly flush with places to do so and the Catskills would still limit me.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:09 PM

Maybe a place like Northville would be a better happy medium, as it is in the Adirondacks, but not as far away: https://www.adirondack.net/towns/northville/

Attractions | Village of Northville, New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York