Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2006, 06:23 PM

12 posts, read 84,575 times

Advertisements

What a fantastic idea - I stumbled over this when i was searching for information on New York - I am not a chat room type of person I guess. Besides Adelaide is so small i probably know them!! They say that everyone in the world is 6 steps removed but here it is more like 2.

We are coming to NY at the end of June - this will be my first trip overseas so I reckon it is going to be a culture shock. Your taxes sound high on your houses but your income taxes must be lower. I worked out that our council rates are about .3% but that doesn't include utilities.

We are going to Rochester for a couple of weeks and I want to pop up to Niagara Falls.

Winter sounds pretty tough there with snow - we pay $$$ to go to the snow fields! My sons are going in July with their dad for the first time to go snow boarding etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2006, 06:38 PM

363 posts, read 2,016,714 times
I know! I know! I'm not the chat room type either and this site IS very awesome! There's so much to learn from the locals. So much you could never get from a book or a statistic. I can't be of help to you as I am not from NY, nor have I ever been. (We aspire to live there one day...) These New Yorkers are a spectacular bunch though. They are incredibly knowledgeable and generous. They make you want to "be a part of it"... (O.K., so that's "New York, New York" You know, the song, Frank Sinatra ... I was just kidding) Anyway, there's an expert on Rochester here. You'll be lucky to hear from him... He knows his stuff. Anyway, you're so lucky to get to visit! Have fun! Good Luck with your research!

Old 06-02-2006, 06:59 PM

12 posts, read 84,575 times
Thanks

I am beside my self with excitement especially as it has taken me so long to get the opportunity to travel outside of oz.

As far as local knowledge goes you can't go past it. My bus route goes past two caravan parks and if i see visitors i always try to talk to them (the visitors that is) - country kid at heart, just can't help it. My partner is the same, he makes friends everywhere! I think he likes the 'village' feel of our area, he has been living in the same house for 30 years - I am a breath of fresh air for him - i instigate CHANGE!! However, my boys love him and he watches Simpsons with them! I met someone on the bus who knew my mum and younger brother and sisters - she was from a town where my parents lived (they owned the hotel - pub) there. It is a place called Dark Peake population of about 20, 2 silos for the wheat and a railway siding. Not really thriving.

Last edited by melc; 06-02-2006 at 07:02 PM..

Old 06-02-2006, 07:08 PM

363 posts, read 2,016,714 times
That's great! You compliment eachother.- Change is good! By the way, Cracker Barrel is a restaraunt with southern food (comfort food, if you will), with a old time gift shop out front... Very "antiuey" old -time Americana. They are located mostly along the Interstates for travelers. And yes, funny enough... you will find them NY. Speaking of cheese... (on your other post)...you and your partner should read "Who moved My Cheese?"... It is a short story about braving change. Very clever. You would find some enjoyment from it I bet. Just a thought! Good luck to you!

Old 06-02-2006, 07:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,559,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melc
What a fantastic idea - I stumbled over this when i was searching for information on New York - I am not a chat room type of person I guess. Besides Adelaide is so small i probably know them!! They say that everyone in the world is 6 steps removed but here it is more like 2.

We are coming to NY at the end of June - this will be my first trip overseas so I reckon it is going to be a culture shock. Your taxes sound high on your houses but your income taxes must be lower. I worked out that our council rates are about .3% but that doesn't include utilities.

We are going to Rochester for a couple of weeks and I want to pop up to Niagara Falls.

Winter sounds pretty tough there with snow - we pay $$$ to go to the snow fields! My sons are going in July with their dad for the first time to go snow boarding etc.
Well I am origianlly from Rochester and I am probably moving back there soon. LOL it's so funny to hear snowboarding in July because here in the Northern Hemisphere, July is in the middle of summer and is the hottest month of the year! Niagara Falls is a little over an hour away from Rochester, while you are in that area, you might want to check out Buffalo too.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:53 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,676,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Well I am origianlly from Rochester and I am probably moving back there soon. LOL it's so funny to hear snowboarding in July because here in the Northern Hemisphere, July is in the middle of summer and is the hottest month of the year! Niagara Falls is a little over an hour away from Rochester, while you are in that area, you might want to check out Buffalo too.
Hi i'minformed,

I've read your posts in the NC forum.So you're probably moving back to NY?!? I thought it was a sure thing and you couldn't wait to get out of NC. Just curious...

Old 06-02-2006, 09:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,559,629 times
It is a sure thing, I say probably because as of right now, we haven't found a house in NY yet. There's no such thing as a sure thing. But yes, I am detirmeined to get out of NC. Not that it's a bad place, but NY is home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York