U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 PM

2,313 posts, read 1,991,848 times
I find it interesting that this thread has gone on for 18 pages. Basically it shows that there is no clear definition of upstate vs downstate, it really is only a matter of opinion. No one is right and no one is wrong. No need for some people to get so hostile towards each other saying their opinion is fact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 PM

199 posts, read 167,434 times
There is no absolute demarcation, it's relative and has adjusted with time. For some 'Upstate' is anything north of the city. In the 1800s the Bronx was 'Upstate', as it wasn't incorporated into Manhattan, and the state was historically split between the City and Upstate. I don't consider the lower Hudson Valley to be 'Upstate' but instead Downstate, but again then I denote the North Country, Central NY, Finger Lakes, Western New York, Hudson Valley, Southern Tier, and the Catskills often but sometimes reference all of NYS north of the city and immediate Westchester suburbs as 'Upstate'. So Upstate could (and does) incorporate all of these. You're really harkening to something that is somewhat cultural if not entirely geographic with terms like Upstate/Downstate, and if the influence of NYC is the determining factor, how do you draw the line? Everyone can draw it, and you'll have 19 million different lines (and 19 pages of this thread). Upstate, Downstate, it's all New York to me.

Couldn't agree more with a previous poster from the Bronx/Rockland that everyone should see the whole state. The most provincial simple-minded people never leave home and bicker the most about the opposite side of the state, many having never lived or worked elsewhere or visited beyond a fleeting time or two.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM

120 posts, read 135,747 times
I haven't read through all the posts but will give my 2 cents.

I live in Rochester. I always figured upstate depends on where you live. If you live in NYC or LI everything is upstate. I used to think of it as west and north of Albany.

I've heard it described as everyting North of the 42nd parellel. It obviously means different things to different people. I used to love "Law and Order" but was alway amused when they used the term, "oh yeah they found the fugitive on a farm "upstate"". Well that narrows it down.

Our state is so diverse geographically, politically, economically etc. Every region WNY, CNY, NNY, Southern Tier, etc has areas within the Region. While Watertown and Saranac Lake may both be in NNY both are very different.

Each area has something unique about it and each has its own treasures and its own problems.

So I guess upstate means whatever the person talking about it thinks it means.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 AM

27,017 posts, read 13,411,049 times
Growing up in Long Island my image of upstate was a land of hills and snowy winters. Bear Mountain marks the start of taller hills and past there snowfall is almost double Long Island.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 AM

209 posts, read 160,564 times
[quote=NYisontop;22967676]Upstate, Downstate, it's all New York to me.quote]

This.

Last edited by montydean; 02-15-2012 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 PM

47 posts, read 47,236 times
Thanks for informing us about what you don't think others know about - but that you do know about.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:05 PM

8 posts, read 5,976 times
Quote:
So I guess upstate means whatever the person talking about it thinks it means.
And that's basically what being a New Yorker, not from NYC, is all about! I'm amazed that this argument/debate remains ongoing over the years. Haven't lived in NYS (Mid-Hudson) for quite a few years but still consider NY to be "home" and IMO the most beautiful state in the country. I love the diversity: beaches, mountains, beautiful rivers, lakes, and creeks, gorgeous rock formations and waterfalls and caverns. As a few others have noted, it's sad when folks who have never visited outside Manhattan hear you're from NY and all they think about is concrete...they can't believe NYS has dairy farms, apple orchards, vineyards, forests. I think it's fun to hear about the different terms we New Yorkers use for things based on where in NYS we grew up (e.g., pop vs soda).

Old 08-04-2013, 10:12 AM

70 posts, read 66,595 times
Upstate is too broad, I usually only go by region such as Southern Tier, Mohawk Valley, Central New York, Western New York etc.

Which, a lot of those are really hard to define, too.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 PM

270 posts, read 183,506 times
Upstate NY is usually consider to be economically depressed with hash winters!

Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM

136 posts, read 114,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
Upstate NY is usually consider to be economically depressed with hash winters!
Is there any value in this comment whatsoever besides the intent to stir it up and be a troll?

The thread is over 7 years old. Depending on where you are, upstate takes on different meanings as noted by many on this forum. Upstate to me has always been anything north of the NYC area which then can be further broken down.

Having moved back to the Rochester area after being in California for 20 years, I have new appreciation for the state overall and the Northeast in general. I think it's great to be able to enjoy what the upstate region offers (ease of getting around, no real traffic, scenic beauty, lakes, fall, relatively mild summers) and yet its only a 45 minute flight to NY when I want to get down there. Perfect for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York