Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 AM

68 posts, read 133,096 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks

*Sorry - Lower Hudson Valley.

We have just left three and a half years in rural Virginia behind and are staying with friends in Napanoch NY as husband starts a new job in Kingston. We're loving this rural life but I don't drive and have a three year old to consider. Can anyone suggest any towns/areas within about an hours drive max from Kingston?

Some things we're having to consider are:

Drivability to work
Ability to get around on foot/bus
Access to a library/park
Affordable rental accommodation
Friendly/safe community feel that welcomes newcomers (bad experience in VA left it's mark)
School reputations

We've gotten used to small town life but are keeping as open a mind as possible given budget constraints. A "smaller town/community friendly" type feel in a bigger town/city would be fine but not knowing anything at all about the area, it's hard to get a feel and am hoping some of you may have suggestions. Stay away from tips are also welcome - I am very happy to receive personal messages if members prefer to not post negatively in forums. I wish I'd heeded warnings about the last town we'd moved to and literally fled from! Having changed occupations it's unlikely we'd encounter such issues again but am feeling a little bruised and ready to settle our poor three year old for a while. Especially before she starts preschool/school.

Thank you so much to anyone who could offer some advice - your time and insight will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by wildinvirginia; 02-25-2014 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Sorry, I really can't help you, other than saying there is no reason why you can't find someplace within 30 minutes of Kingston. Relocating to this area and settling in a town that gives your husband a one-hour drive to work is a very bad idea.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Would it be roads and weather perhaps that makes an hours drive a bad idea? We'd certainly like the least amount of milagae given wear and tear and gas prices - the car has already taken a hit in this NY winter driving up to Albany for his interview so the shorter commute the better for both time and money. Just having been out in the sticks for over three years, all larger towns seem a bit daunting without that great inside knowledge of "stay away from there/this part". Thank you for taking the time to reply

Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Now that I think about it, you should check our Rosendale and Woodstock. They are both very charming towns, and within reasonable distances of Kingston. Woodstock, of course, is the town that the 1969 festival was named for (the festival actually took place far from Woodstock).

Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 AM

Oh thank you so much - will check out both. I was shocked to learn Woodstock didn't take place in Woodstock when I learned that lol. Still, the commemoration is nice and they've since held Festivals hey?
I have discovered a couple of towns that are no go places so I am whittling down at least. I just learner of an estuary town here in Ulster Co - Saugherties? Forgive the probably attrocious attempt at spelling a word I've yet to see! I lived in an estuary town back in England and loved it but it was back when I earned a great salary rather than staying home with a toddler. Finding a lovely town is only half the battle - affordable rent is Abigail decided too. Thank you for coming back - I appreciate it greatly.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
On the west side of the Hudson check out New Paltz and Saugerties. Stone Ridge is worth a look too, but I am not sure about the affordability or availability of housing near the town center.

On the east side, look at Red Hook and Rhinebeck, and possibly Tivoli, which is part of the town of Red Hook but has its own village center, library and park.

All of the above have walkable town centers, and reasonable (walkable) access to parks and libraries. Food shopping would be more easily done with a car, but you'd be able to walk to a coffee shop, restaurants, etc and with the exception of Tivoli each town has a drugstore and/or other convenience stores downtown. Farmers markets are everywhere in the warmer months.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 AM

Thank you so much for such great info - will absolutely check all of those too. So that's how to spell Saugerties We actually came through Stone Ridge which is where our friends go to Library Time. It looked lovely, they like it but were unable to afford to buy and build there. We're getting very spoiled here in Napanoch - living in a manner I could definitely become accustomed to. But no so much that I would give up staying home with my kiddos a bit longer. As an older Mum I like being home and financially it actually makes more sense right now. So compromise it is lol But a grotty, tiny but expensive apartment in a noisy, undesirable area? Oh please let there be something inbetween! Need to do a few car repairs already - our Ford Sled is protesting in the snow as as much as my joints are! But cannot wait to get back out and look around.

Thank You so much

Old 02-26-2014, 01:26 PM

93,186 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What about New Paltz?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 PM

Will absolutely look at New Paltz. Just had a trawlers thru Craigslist at rentals and saw a terrifyingly expensive array of not so great looking properties for way more than we could afford! This is going to be very tricky. So far all I kind find that MIGHT do, is a tiny holiday home in Olive/Samsonville .. which seems very small and pretty but maybe pretty isolated too. I think.my husband might have negotiated a too low income lol! I see cardboard and duct tape on the horizon .... Deep breath.
Thank You again for that suggestion - have NP on the list.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 AM

Default Sincere Thanks

I know it's been a while - I apologize if it seemed rude. We've been busy checking out everyone's suggestions, trawling property ads and viewing potential rentals.

Having decided Saugerties, Red Hook, New Palz, Rosendale, and wild card, Rhinecliffe (nothing there but nice people) were all great options for us, we decided on the smaller town of Catskill. In truth, the "choice" was largely determined by affordability of availanle rentals at this time. But it seems like a nice little town and a good compromise. And having just signed a lease, hope it's the right choice

Thank you to everyone who helped us with suggestions - and welcome warnings too - very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York