Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 01:23 PM

486 posts, read 980,209 times

Advertisements

I apologize ahead of time for the long post.
We are starting our home search and need some pointers...
When I purchased my first home 10 years ago I got great insight. I hope for the same the second time around so here I am again!

We have considered many towns in Putnam County. However, diversity seems to be next to none in the county. We have family in Northern Westchester and it seems to be pretty similar minus the higher taxes for Westchester. Any recommendations are deeply appreciated:

Must haves:
3+ bedrooms, 1500SQFT or more
Yard big enough to run around, not acres upon acres...too much maintenance and higher taxes...
Budget of $350-450K.
Hopefully a diverse community... and/or down to earth inclusive mentality.
We are a Hispanic and Italian-American Family. It would be nice to not be the only family with this composition around...
We are both reserved and very quiet people and don't need to be social butterflies. However, our favorite neighbors now is an older couple who we love to talk to about all sorts of topics. We hope to have neighbors like them.
Restaurants and activities for children.
If there is a possibility for Bilingual instruction (Spanish), even better, though I have not seen ANY school districts in Putnam that offer this.
Decent schools (elementary level, we'll have a little one starting Kinder in 2021 and another one on the way...
I am a teacher and I can help our children at home but I also would like for them to attend a school that prepares them to be well rounded individuals).
Reasonable commute to the Bronx by car or even the Hudson or Harlem lines (though I know this one is slower, it would leave me within walking distance of my job).

I'll need to commute to the Bronx for work. My spouse may or may not need to commute to Harrison (pre-pandemic he was commuting daily. During the pandemic his employer moved everyone to remote work and they have said this could be the case for the foreseeable future...). I can switch jobs and be much closer to where we move but with all the budget freezes in education, who knows when!

What really interested me about many of the towns in Putnam is their close proximity to lakes, some homes with lake rights, etc. I would love to be able to have that as a possibility for us during the summer for us as a family.

We currently own a house in the city and will be keeping it. It has appreciated in value greatly and that's not something we want to let go. Although we will be renting our home, we don't want to be in a position where we depend on it. Therefore, that limits our budget. We considered getting a second home in the city but they won't have the yard and/or space and size we want and prices are super high. The home next to us is selling for almost twice as much as what I paid for my home back in 2010 and people are coming over to see it like it's the best bargain ever.

We have a little one turning 4 this summer and another one on the way so schools are important. However, diversity is important for us too and we know that sometimes skews rankings for schools (I know good schools can have less than ideal rankings and vice-versa, I am a teacher....)
We want our children to speak Spanish. Originally that meant I only wanted to stick to towns with bilingual programs like Ossining, Tarrytown, Mount Kisco and White Plains. However, considering our limited budget since we are keeping our first home it doesn't look like we could afford any of the towns mentioned.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 01:43 PM

91,951 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Putnam County may not be out of the running given that almost 24% of the students in public schools in the county are Hispanic, with a few of other groups: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?county=48

So, it may come down to the school district in the county. Here's Brewster: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000039691

Putnam Valley: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000039712

Carmel: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000039758

Mahopac: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000039764

If you are open to going a little bit further north, you could also look into nicer parts of Beacon: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000053483

or Wappingers: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000053180

Old 07-02-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Putnam County may not be out of the running given that almost 24% of the students in public schools in the county are Hispanic, with a few of other groups: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?county=48

So, it may come down to the school district in the county. Here's Brewster: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000039691

Putnam Valley: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000039712

Carmel: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000039758

Mahopac: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000039764

If you are open to going a little bit further north, you could also look into nicer parts of Beacon: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000053483

or Wappingers: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000053180
Thanks so much for this info. Any information on the vibes for different towns in Putnam?

Old 07-02-2020, 08:23 PM

91,951 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
Thanks so much for this info. Any information on the vibes for different towns in Putnam?
Hopefully others will chime in with more specific information.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:19 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,419,953 times
Didn't get that thing about diversity....

Old 07-06-2020, 08:03 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Didn't get that thing about diversity....
Some people like diversity. Many are indifferent. Some don't like it at all. It is a matter of opinion.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:47 PM

265 posts, read 485,409 times
We lived in Mahopac temporarily before closing on our house in Lewisboro. We found Mahopac to be diverse economically, but not so much racially/ethnically. We also found the general area to be far more conservative than we expected. I can't speak to the school systems in either place, but overall, we find N. Westchester to be a better fit for us. You don't get the diversity you're looking for, but we are finding people are far more welcoming and open in Lewisboro than we did in Mahopac.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:02 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,374,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
I apologize ahead of time for the long post.
We are starting our home search and need some pointers...
When I purchased my first home 10 years ago I got great insight. I hope for the same the second time around so here I am again!

We have considered many towns in Putnam County. However, diversity seems to be next to none in the county.Oh? How so? there are plenty of hispanic families here in Put Valley. You have to put boots on the ground. There is a wonderful hispanic Restaurant in put valley called Panchos and Gringos. I have more than a feew hispanics living near me. They are all nice, and reserved. Seems they keep to themselves. We have family in Northern Westchester and it seems to be pretty similar minus the higher taxes for Westchester.Putnam county taxes will most likely be higher for similar sized lot/home. There is little business in Put co. to defer taxes, aside from the brewster carmel area. Any recommendations are deeply appreciated:

Must haves:
3+ bedrooms, 1500SQFT or more
Yard big enough to run around, not acres upon acres...too much maintenance and higher taxes...
Budget of $350-450K. This is a very doable budget, you will be fine
Hopefully a diverse community... and/or down to earth inclusive mentality.
We are a Hispanic and Italian-American Family. It would be nice to not be the only family with this composition around... Been here almost 20 years from the city, its a far cry from places like staten island where bigotry is rampant (in my opinion only) You will be fine
We are both reserved and very quiet people and don't need to be social butterflies. However, our favorite neighbors now is an older couple who we love to talk to about all sorts of topics. We hope to have neighbors like them. Most of our neighbors are live and let live types, not nosy nancy's
Restaurants and activities for children. This is the land of lakes / parks/ reservoirs. Get some canoe/ kayaks and have fun. there is martial arts, in my childrens class there were close to 25% hispanic looking children, libraries, sports, cross country skiing in Fahnstock state park, and a small downhill ski place called Thunder Ridge
If there is a possibility for Bilingual instruction (Spanish), even better, though I have not seen ANY school districts in Putnam that offer this.not sure on this one, but if you are a teacher, then start teaching english
Decent schools (elementary level, we'll have a little one starting Kinder in 2021 and another one on the way...As you know, being a teacher. All schools have special programs for smarter children. Dont let your child fall into the GP (general population). Schools around here are decent. Only not good school I can think of is George Washington in peekskill? I feel its more about the parents than the school regarding education
I am a teacher and I can help our children at home but I also would like for them to attend a school that prepares them to be well rounded individuals).
Reasonable commute to the Bronx by car or even the Hudson or Harlem lines (though I know this one is slower, it would leave me within walking distance of my job).Peekskill train station, or driving from putnam valley I can be at the bronx border in about 35-40 minutes traffic depending. The earlier you leave the less traffic there is. Just watch out for the deer in fall

I'll need to commute to the Bronx for work. My spouse may or may not need to commute to Harrison (pre-pandemic he was commuting daily. During the pandemic his employer moved everyone to remote work and they have said this could be the case for the foreseeable future...). I can switch jobs and be much closer to where we move but with all the budget freezes in education, who knows when!

What really interested me about many of the towns in Putnam is their close proximity to lakes, some homes with lake rights, etc. I would love to be able to have that as a possibility for us during the summer for us as a family. Yes its true, there are many lake communities. But you must do your homework. Some lake communities have issues with well water (Lake Peekskill). Many of these communities wer designed as summer bungalows, resulting in stress on the aquifers. BTW most of putnam county is well water. Read up on the challenges of well water regarding grit in your pipes, pipe rot, etc. I dont want to discourage you, but coming from the city, it is different.

We currently own a house in the city and will be keeping it. It has appreciated in value greatly and that's not something we want to let go. Although we will be renting our home, we don't want to be in a position where we depend on it. Therefore, that limits our budget. We considered getting a second home in the city but they won't have the yard and/or space and size we want and prices are super high. The home next to us is selling for almost twice as much as what I paid for my home back in 2010 and people are coming over to see it like it's the best bargain ever.

We have a little one turning 4 this summer and another one on the way so schools are important. However, diversity is important for us too and we know that sometimes skews rankings for schools (I know good schools can have less than ideal rankings and vice-versa, I am a teacher....)
We want our children to speak Spanish. Originally that meant I only wanted to stick to towns with bilingual programs like Ossining, Tarrytown, Mount Kisco and White Plains. However, considering our limited budget since we are keeping our first home it doesn't look like we could afford any of the towns mentioned.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
All that said, I like putnam co. Putnam valley is beautiful, Patterson is rural-ish, Mahopac is historically an Irish area. (lots of civil servants there) Brewster has nice areas, also has a large hispanic population. however.....Dont take this the wrong way, its only how I see it. Brewster has alot of day laborer hispanics.
Westchester towns? Yorktown, and yorktown heights are nice, great schools. 10-15 minutes closer to the bronx. Right near FDR park. Alot of city civil servants, and mahattan commuters living there. Cortlandt Manor is a nice option too, Peekskill? fun to go out to eat there, or catch a show at the paramount, but alot of low income homes there, day laborers. It is what it is.
More activities? The bike trail that runs from puitnam county almost if not to the bronx? converted rail bed, travelling through towns and forests.
Wherever you choose to live up here, its way better than the 5 boroughs.
Just make sure you either have AWD, or a set of snow tires in winter. Taconic can get slick at times.
Best wishes

Old 07-08-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy-bound View Post
We lived in Mahopac temporarily before closing on our house in Lewisboro. We found Mahopac to be diverse economically, but not so much racially/ethnically. We also found the general area to be far more conservative than we expected. I can't speak to the school systems in either place, but overall, we find N. Westchester to be a better fit for us. You don't get the diversity you're looking for, but we are finding people are far more welcoming and open in Lewisboro than we did in Mahopac.
Thanks so much for this response. I'm glad someone in Mahopac responded. =)
How is Lewisboro more welcoming and less conservative than Mahopac? That also leaves me wondering, where exactly is Lewisboro??

We took a trip to Putnam/N. Westchester and Parts of Danbury, CT this past weekend. They all look similar with different vibes when it comes to shopping and downtown areas, for sure!

Last edited by gf1025; 07-08-2020 at 11:22 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
All that said, I like putnam co. Putnam valley is beautiful, Patterson is rural-ish, Mahopac is historically an Irish area. (lots of civil servants there) Brewster has nice areas, also has a large hispanic population. however.....Dont take this the wrong way, its only how I see it. Brewster has alot of day laborer hispanics.
Westchester towns? Yorktown, and yorktown heights are nice, great schools. 10-15 minutes closer to the bronx. Right near FDR park. Alot of city civil servants, and mahattan commuters living there. Cortlandt Manor is a nice option too, Peekskill? fun to go out to eat there, or catch a show at the paramount, but alot of low income homes there, day laborers. It is what it is.
More activities? The bike trail that runs from puitnam county almost if not to the bronx? converted rail bed, travelling through towns and forests.
Wherever you choose to live up here, its way better than the 5 boroughs.
Just make sure you either have AWD, or a set of snow tires in winter. Taconic can get slick at times.
Best wishes
THANKS SO MUCH! That was a really detailed response. I really appreciate it. Being a teacher I don't get hung up on a "specific school district" because I know I will help my children at home also. Of course I want to make sure they get a good education, but I know what you mean about classes/schools, etc. That does open up a lot of possibilities for us.

We drove up this past weekend and I don't know if maybe we couldn't find the nicer part of "town" for Brewster, but the Village was really small with just the Brewster train station, a church and few shops. Seem pretty minimal and did not really scream WE WANT TO MOVE HERE. We saw TONS of restaurants, and other eateries but none in a cohesive part of town they seem to just be everywhere on the side of the main road.
We also drove in from Danbury into Southeast (I'm guessing that's also Brewster?) That part was much more rural. Not many shops other than the ones on the Danbury side but gas stations we saw plenty... We did not make it to Carmel since we opted to head south and west instead...

Mahopac, Mohegan Lake and Putnam Valley left a nice impression in terms of shopping, lots and lots of shops, restaurants, etc. Lake Peekskill seem steep, lots of hills and smaller streets, that scared hubby, thinking about driving on tiny hilly streets in the winter with snow, ice, etc. However, away from the hilly side it was really nice, although most homes looked like converted bungalows. Maybe too small for what we are looking for our family of 4.

My husband actually has family in Yorktown Heights, Amawalk, Baldwin Place and Somers: Cousins and an uncle. The uncle is the coolest, super down to earth nice guy, and some of his cousins are really laid back, mellow and down to earth. His other cousins are a mix. I don't want to sound mean, but some are super snobby, every conversation is about status, keeping up with the Jones's, who has the nicest car, home, kids, vacations, comments like: "OMG, the Bronx is so urban! How can people teach there?", and "don't worry, with more experience you can get a job in a district up here" etc.... and others are really nice and not like that at all. I'm sure I will encounter snobby people everywhere. I just don't want to be surrounded by them... I'm glad to hear more about Putnam. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and taking your time to answer so many of my questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York