U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 05:23 PM

12,301 posts, read 14,134,320 times
NY city and it’s burbs run this state.
That’s where all the uppity wealthy and elites live, as well as all your artsy hippie bleeding heart liberals. They have the numbers, a gajillion people all in a concentrated area.
Meanwhile NY as a whole is pretty red, geographically. Look at the voting maps.
NY is all red aside from a few scattered pockets upstate and of course the city metro area.
It sucks that a few square miles have all the power.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 AM

1,538 posts, read 388,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
NY city and it’s burbs run this state.
That’s where all the uppity wealthy and elites live, as well as all your artsy hippie bleeding heart liberals. They have the numbers, a gajillion people all in a concentrated area.
Meanwhile NY as a whole is pretty red, geographically. Look at the voting maps.
NY is all red aside from a few scattered pockets upstate and of course the city metro area.
It sucks that a few square miles have all the power.
Indeed!! And it appears to be a similar situation in California, as well as 2-3 other states.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:54 AM

25,280 posts, read 38,783,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I'm not exactly anti-Cuomo and basically support the CoVID restrictions as necessary. But, it should be acknowledged that they have massive economic and social costs. Family incomes are suffering, small businesses are being destroyed. Children's education and social development are being impaired in ways that will likely have lasting impacts. Even the seemingly trivial limits on socializing are deviating. Humans are naturally social creatures, social isolation has large negative psychological impacts. Life with out family, friends and group activity, isn't really living.

So even though, I still basically support strict efforts as a necessary evil, I don't dismiss those who raise valid concerns about the trade-offs. Particularly when we have seen so much, frankly, hypocrisy about social distancing/"staying home to stop the spread" when it came to racial justice protests and spontaneous Biden victory parties.
Can you expand on the bolded?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-17-2020, 09:06 PM

96 posts, read 36,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Put on CNN for a few minutes. They lose their minds on a nightly basis over masks at trump rallys but the masks make no matter for the crowds of rioters burning down cities.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:18 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,359,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

"De Blasio: Black Lives Matter Protests Exempt from Large-Event Ban"
https://news.yahoo.com/blasio-black-...9NEgiYy0XASo0I

Mayor Bill de Blasio breaks social distancing to snap selfies with revelers celebrating Joe Biden's victory as thousands gathered across New York to dance and embrace in the streets
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-win-NYC.html

This article makes a reasonable case against the double standard we see among the chattering class on covid and social distancing:
The ‘highly educated elites’ are stuck in a nightmare of their own making
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...80a_story.html

I'm a hard core never-Trumper, and gladly voted for Biden. But, this was not exactly an "essential gathering"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVjobkovGsQ

Old 11-18-2020, 01:54 PM

43 posts, read 17,693 times
"NY is all red aside from a few scattered pockets upstate " - LOL, a "few scattered pockets" consisting of the MAJORITY of people who live upstate. Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Utica, Binghamton, Ithaca...all blue cities...

It amazes me how red voters in upstate NY are legends in their own minds and literally there are more cows in red Livingston County than there are people. I suggest you start breeding your wimmenfolk harder if you want to have an actual numerical advantage someday. (If you have any wimmenfolk left, that is, since they've all gone off to college in Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Utica, Binghamton, Ithaca...)

Old 11-18-2020, 03:58 PM

25,280 posts, read 38,783,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBandit5433 View Post
Put on CNN for a few minutes. They lose their minds on a nightly basis over masks at trump rallys but the masks make no matter for the crowds of rioters burning down cities.
You really expect someone who has the propensity to destroy property not belonging to them to think to wear a mask? Nobody is excusing rioters for not wearing masks, that's absurd.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-18-2020, 04:05 PM

4,583 posts, read 2,461,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Living under Cuomo and his band of crooks is like living in a communist state. I envy those that have fled, unfortunately many seniors upstate can't afford to move financially or dependency on family for physical conditions.
Best move we ever made and it was well before Cuomo became governor.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:23 PM

4,583 posts, read 2,461,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Bingo!

And even if I/we wanted to move, the question always comes up, "where would we move to"? I'm not a native of western NY, but have been here most of my life. I arrived here as a result of a job transfer by my father. Sure, I've visited other areas, even been back to my home town, a few times. But a visit of several days, doesn't give you a true idea of what it's like, to actually "drop anchor", and live somewhere for the rest of your life. Most every place has it's plusses and minuses.

So, although many of us are indeed "free to go", deciding exactly where to go, is the issue....
Fortunately for us this was never an issue. The Great American Southwest is where I've always wanted to be. The hardest part was leaving our family and life long friends behind. But I just got so fed up with living in New York that I just hadda' roll the dice, sell our home, pack up and go. My wife wasn't too crazy about it at first but once we made several trips out here she was sold. Now you couldn't pay her enough money to go back to New York.

If you spend the time and do your research you'll get a good idea of what it's like before you "drop anchor". After living in Arizona for well over 10 years now it's almost as if we were born and raised here, it's where we truly belong. We have no regrets whatsoever, I still can't believe that we live here? Just about every day when I step outside I thank God that I live in Arizona.

I can't think of too many minuses? Of the one's that are you'll find them just about anywhere you go. At least for us the plusses far outweigh the minuses to the point where the minuses are irrelevant.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:29 PM

12,301 posts, read 14,134,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolettaDeValery View Post
"NY is all red aside from a few scattered pockets upstate " - LOL, a "few scattered pockets" consisting of the MAJORITY of people who live upstate. Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Utica, Binghamton, Ithaca...all blue cities...

It amazes me how red voters in upstate NY are legends in their own minds and literally there are more cows in red Livingston County than there are people. I suggest you start breeding your wimmenfolk harder if you want to have an actual numerical advantage someday. (If you have any wimmenfolk left, that is, since they've all gone off to college in Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Utica, Binghamton, Ithaca...)
Cool story bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York