Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 04:54 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times

Advertisements

I've been researching this topic for a few weeks for a school project and have found many things. The New York State Police Department is the strictest in the country. The background investigation is DEEEEEP, the physcial fitness test is harder, the exams are harder, etc. New York State has also been called the state with the strictest laws. My friend was given a ticket for going 5 over in broad daylight, perfect weather, and a nearly empty highway.

Do you believe New York is too strict? The strictest in the country? And if Hillary Clinton becomes president it will only become worse. She says she's going to outlaw guns in New York State. I don't own one or have one, but that'll destroy hunting for food in upstate NY.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 05:20 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post

And if Hillary Clinton becomes president it will only become worse. She says she's going to outlaw guns in New York State. I don't own one or have one, but that'll destroy hunting for food in upstate NY.
Oh no, no more killing of innocent wild animals for food? What ever shall we do? Hate Hillary but still.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:06 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Oh no, no more killing of innocent wild animals for food? What ever shall we do? Hate Hillary but still.
I realize it's not that big of a deal, but you know upstate New Yorkers. Their guns are their life.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:37 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,385 times
"You know Upstate New Yorkers, their guns are their life?!" lmao! You've never been outside Westchester have you? But of course you know this for a fact.

This is true for parts of Upstate New York (even then, so what? Just because people live in a trailer park instead of a Scarsdale mansion doesn't mean they're bad people.) But for other parts of Upstate New York, this gross generalization is not true at ALL. Newsflash: The world does not become one massive farm with people driving four-wheelers to Wal-Mart after you leave the NYC metro area.

But you know Westchester-ites. Without maids to cook and clean for them, they whine to death.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,043 times
Laws are no more strict than other states. People get pulled over for going 5 over the limit everywhere.
New York is far from a "police state" since its hard for a cop to do their job without interest groups such as the ACLU breathing down their necks.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:57 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,081 times
I see lots of people speeding, weaving, yammering on cell phones, and relatively few being pulled over. And frankly, if they are pulled over, I'd applaud it as there are too many reckless drivers out there.

What is your source for Hillary and guns? I think she has more important things to deal with than the Second Amendment- I am not a fan of guns but they are here to stay.

I went to college in upstate NY- I could have kept off that Freshman 15 if I'd joined the locals and killed my own food.

Seriously, though, upstate has Wegmans- the greatest supermarket known to mankind. I think hunting is more of a hobby (albeit a passionate one for some) than a means of staying alive.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I realize it's not that big of a deal, but you know upstate New Yorkers. Their guns are their life.
Wow...what an ignorant and stereotypical comment. I don't own a gun and never have. I'm not a strict anti-gun hippie nor would I stereotype a downstater as such..but I'm not a toothless hick with a gun rack on that back of a pickup truck either, and myself and other educated upstaters shouldn't be stereotyped as such by downstaters or anyone else.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
I see lots of people speeding, weaving, yammering on cell phones, and relatively few being pulled over. And frankly, if they are pulled over, I'd applaud it as there are too many reckless drivers out there.

What is your source for Hillary and guns? I think she has more important things to deal with than the Second Amendment- I am not a fan of guns but they are here to stay.

I went to college in upstate NY- I could have kept off that Freshman 15 if I'd joined the locals and killed my own food.

Seriously, though, upstate has Wegmans- the greatest supermarket known to mankind. I think hunting is more of a hobby (albeit a passionate one for some) than a means of staying alive.
All of upstate does not have Wegmans. It doesn't go any further north or east than Syracuse.

So obviously you were in one part of Upstate, and that cannot be applied to the entire state.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:41 AM

313 posts, read 1,053,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
All of upstate does not have Wegmans. It doesn't go any further north or east than Syracuse.

So obviously you were in one part of Upstate, and that cannot be applied to the entire state.
Actually, there are stores throughout the state- in the Buffalo area, the Rochester area, the Syracuse area, Binghamton. So maybe not the entire state, but many of its more urban areas.

To clarify my initial point, having attended college upstate with lots of people who were from all over NY, I don't think upstaters are gun nuts at all.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 05-06-2008 at 08:57 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 08:31 PM

as I said, *it doesn't go any further north or east than Syracuse*. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Binghamton are neither east nor north of Syracuse (Binghamton is slightly east if you want to get technical.) Therefore, the entire Albany, Catskill, Lower Hudson Valley (if you consider that upstate), and Adirondack areas *do not have Wegmans*. Upstate is huge geographically and cannot be fit into a single culture so easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York