Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 39,698 times

Advertisements

I am considering Cornell University for grad school, and everything I have seen about Ithaca so far (stats, pictures, etc) looks amazing. Is it really as gorgeous as all that? Is it surrounded by suburbs or any other kind of ugliness?

Aesthetic considerations are not my only reason for choosing Cornell, and I would go there even if it was in a dumpy town. But it would be nice to live somewhere beautiful with plenty of outdoor activities and a lively little downtown.

We are a young, down-to-earth family (ahem, hippies) with one son (he would be starting kindergarten right after we move there).

BTW, we live in Chicagoland right now, so we are well prepared for high costs of living, property taxes, etc. All that in Ithaca would be well worth it for someplace more peaceful than suburban hell.

Last edited by mrsgreeniemama; 05-06-2008 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:34 PM

142 posts, read 808,979 times
It is that gorgeous. Really. It is one of my favorite places. Good luck with your plans.
Joanne

Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM

365 posts, read 1,249,117 times
Sounds like you'll fit right in. No, there's little if any suburban ugliness. There's a nifty downtown, lots to do, especially outdoor stuff, beautiful state parks, a national forest nearby, boating, kayaking, hiking...A fantastic farmer's market, huge used book sales, a food co-op, lots of ethnic restaurants, and a liberal and progressive attitude. (It was the only area in NY state to go for Obama in the primary election.)

Our DD and SIL have lived in Ithaca for the past three years while at Cornell. DH and I have fallen in love with the area and now plan to retire there, or at least, nearby. One caveat: Property taxes are very high in Ithaca, so check that out.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:33 PM

286 posts, read 1,114,662 times
Well, *I* think it's great. Ithaca isn't really "urb" enough for suburbs, which I would say should be the only thing to be prepared for if you're used to the area around Chicago--if there's something you want that isn't here, you'll probably be going to Syracuse (1 hr drive), Rochester (90 minutes), Buffalo (3 hours) or NYC (4 hours) to get it. It does have an amazing number of amenities for a town of its size, there's natural beauty all over the place, and it's a very hippie-friendly environment.

The cost of living is high relative to other areas in upstate NY, but it won't be too bad at ALL compared to what you're used to.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,223,819 times
It's very nice. But let's not get carried away. The residential areas near the downtown are mostly developed with rundown 100-year-old houses. I wouldn't normally mention this, but the other posters have described some sort of nirvana. It's not.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:30 AM

29 posts, read 106,665 times
I have been living in Ithaca for over 10 years and here is my opinion - it is just an opinion not meant to offend anyone:

GOOD:
Beautiful in the summer
Lots of outdoor activities
People are friendly (especially coming from a big city – I came from NYC)
Very cultural for such a small town

BAD:
Long cold winters (with terrible wind chills).
Sun doesn't shine much in the winter.
Roads are in horrible shape.
Gas prices are high.
Cost to heat a home is high.
Electricity is high.
Services are high (phone, cable). I pay the same price for these services as my friends who live near NYC.
Taxes are very high. I am a single person who makes OK money, but once my paycheck comes and it has taxes taken out, I am living on a MUCH smaller salary. Last year I had to move and have been struggling. I am not a person who lives above their means or own anything that anyone would consider nice, my furniture was cheap, my TV has a problem speaker, I shop for clothes at Walmart and second hand stores, and I bring my lunch to work everyday. I do not drive around unnecessarily, I live fairly close to work because I do not want to drive far in bad weather. Maybe I am paying a bit more for my rent, but heat is included and I like the security of the place I am living – which is the most important to me.

I have another year left before I can move out of here and am counting down the days. I can’t wait to go somewhere warm and somewhere that I am not going to be taxed to death for nothing in return.

As I said it is just my opinion - the older I get the more I hate cold weather and Ithaca is just too cold and expensive for me. I need sun and warm weather all year round.

Good luck with your move and grad school, I hope that you enjoy Ithaca. People should be happy where they live.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 AM

544 posts, read 849,435 times
I grew up near Ithaca and went to college there. I visited a couple of years ago and was surprised at how much of the housing stock downtown had become "in need of attention"... perhaps a bit run down.

In the downtown residential area, most of the homes are of similar size, age and style. There's really no "grand old neighborhoods," with big houses on big lots.

All that being said. There *are* many homes that have been and are well cared for and are very nice.

Up in Cayuga Heights and outside of downtown-proper, you'll find some larger homes on larger lots.

There's not a lot of "suburbs," although, the shopping centers are the strip mall variety, if you consider that ugly.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:00 PM

79 posts, read 340,722 times
You are hippies?! Enough said...you will LOVE it!

I went to school there, married a townie and go back 3 times a year to visit family. We are not hippies, but I also love it (if you can handle to cold winters and no good suburaban shopping).

You will LOVE it!!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:05 PM

12 posts, read 65,525 times
Ithaca is the most fantastic place I have ever lived. My husband and I will be sad to move at the end of this month, but plan to return over and over again. Cornell is also an excellent school -- you seriously can't go wrong.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
I only visited Ithaca once from my native Scranton, PA to do my photo tour for City-Data, but I was completely blown away by its beauty. The downtown is very pedestrian-friendly with a few blocks even being closed as an inviting pedestrian plaza. The town is visibly liberal---a lot of hybrid vehicles have bumper stickers touting environmentalism, some front lawns were littered with "Plant a Bush Back in Texas" or "He's Not MY President", and there was plenty of tie-dye to be found. Ithaca is everything I hope Scranton, which is just starting its own cultural renaissance, can evolve into someday. It truly is a model for mid-sized Rust Belt cities. From what I've heard from others there are various waterfalls, gorges, and state parks littering the outskirts of town that most certainly should not be missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York