U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 04:07 PM

16 posts, read 14,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Rockland is generally much less expensive than Westchester. Too many people fall for the "its on the other side of the river" line when considering housing for a commute. Yes, being on the other side of the river is a problem when compared to Pelham, Hastings, Rye, etc., but for someone looking at the Poughkeepsie area, it will be a better commute and the housing costs may not be that much different. Worth a look at least.
no metro north makes rockland a complete dealbreaker. the faux-metro north on that side of the river (which is really njt) is an absolute joke and doo doo. cuomo completely missed the boat by not advocating and allocating funding for a metro north extension over the tappan zee.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 04:10 PM

4,329 posts, read 1,488,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarcommuter View Post
no metro north makes rockland a complete dealbreaker. the faux-metro north on that side of the river (which is really njt) is an absolute joke and doo doo. cuomo completely missed the boat by not advocating and allocating funding for a metro north extension over the tappan zee.
I might actually call it The Mario Cuomo bridge if he did that. But it's still the Tappan Zee Bridge ;p

There 'are' buses to port authority but,..yeah.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I might actually call it The Mario Cuomo bridge if he did that.
good one!

Old 04-07-2021, 12:06 PM

934 posts, read 1,135,862 times
Quote:
In comparison to Poughkeepsie? Albany? Montreal? At some point you are so far north being on the west side is better.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
In comparison to Poughkeepsie? Albany? Montreal? At some point you are so far north being on the west side is better.
you can get to grand central terminal faster by metro north from poughkeepsie, duchess county than you can from taking "metro-north" from nanuet, rockland county.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:28 AM

934 posts, read 1,135,862 times
Quote:
you can get to grand central terminal faster by metro north from poughkeepsie, duchess county than you can from taking "metro-north" from nanuet, rockland county.
Metro north from Rockland doesn’t take you to Grand Central Terminal; it takes you to Penn Station. In any event, Nanuet to Penn Station is much quicker via the express than Poughkeepsie to GCT. These are simple facts. People rely on posts on this forum. Please do better next time.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:20 PM

41 posts, read 93,956 times
Hey thefarcommuter. I can answer a lot of your questions from first hand knowledge. I used to live in Rockland County and commuted to midtown via the Coach USA bus from Nanuet and I now live in town of Poughkeepsie (Spackenkill SD) and commute via Metro North from the New Hamburg station. My door-to-door commute from Poughkeepsie is a bit longer than my commute from Nanuet, but it it's far more consistent taking a bus over a train since there is no traffic.

I moved to Dutchess county for many of the same reasons that you did. I couldn't afford Westchester and my wife and I wanted a 3k+ sqft house. My wife's job is fully remote and before COVID I used to go into the city 3 days a week. The commute definitely isn't for everyone and I highly suggest you take a dry run to see if it's something that you are willing to do. It's definitely something that you have to decide whether it's for you. Metro North's time tables are quite accurate. I haven't commuted into the city for quite some time thanks to COVID, but I imagine this still holds true.

We specifically chose Spackenkill SD for the schools (they're the top rated in Dutchess) and the proximity to the train (my office is a 5 minute walk from GCT). If you are looking at a commute from Metro North, I suggest looking at the river towns although Beacon has gotten really expensive. If you are looking at taking the Taconic, I would look at East Fishkill/Hopewell Junction or Lagrangeville area of town of Poughkeepsie.

Since you have children, I would not consider city of Poughkeepsie. There is no amount of money that you could pay me to put my child through that school district.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Metro north from Rockland doesn’t take you to Grand Central Terminal; it takes you to Penn Station. In any event, Nanuet to Penn Station is much quicker via the express than Poughkeepsie to GCT. These are simple facts. People rely on posts on this forum. Please do better next time.
I never said that the "Metro North from Rockland takes you to Grand Central"

I clearly said that you can get to Grand Central faster from Poughkeepsie via Metro North, than you can from Nanuet (you will get there directly from Poughkeepsie, while "Metro North" from Rockland requires transfers, taking multiple subways, etc). That is a fact.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdezz View Post
Hey thefarcommuter. I can answer a lot of your questions from first hand knowledge. I used to live in Rockland County and commuted to midtown via the Coach USA bus from Nanuet and I now live in town of Poughkeepsie (Spackenkill SD) and commute via Metro North from the New Hamburg station. My door-to-door commute from Poughkeepsie is a bit longer than my commute from Nanuet, but it it's far more consistent taking a bus over a train since there is no traffic.

I moved to Dutchess county for many of the same reasons that you did. I couldn't afford Westchester and my wife and I wanted a 3k+ sqft house. My wife's job is fully remote and before COVID I used to go into the city 3 days a week. The commute definitely isn't for everyone and I highly suggest you take a dry run to see if it's something that you are willing to do. It's definitely something that you have to decide whether it's for you. Metro North's time tables are quite accurate. I haven't commuted into the city for quite some time thanks to COVID, but I imagine this still holds true.

We specifically chose Spackenkill SD for the schools (they're the top rated in Dutchess) and the proximity to the train (my office is a 5 minute walk from GCT). If you are looking at a commute from Metro North, I suggest looking at the river towns although Beacon has gotten really expensive. If you are looking at taking the Taconic, I would look at East Fishkill/Hopewell Junction or Lagrangeville area of town of Poughkeepsie.

Since you have children, I would not consider city of Poughkeepsie. There is no amount of money that you could pay me to put my child through that school district.
Thank you! You say "a bit faster". Would you say Metro North is more comfortable than taking the bus as you did from Nanuet? If your job moved elsewhere in Manhattan or to another borough, do you think you could still handle your commute? Do you enjoy Spackenkill? Is shopping close by? Neighbors friendly? Thanks for answering!

Old 04-30-2021, 07:43 AM

41 posts, read 93,956 times
Quote:
Thank you! You say "a bit faster". Would you say Metro North is more comfortable than taking the bus as you did from Nanuet? If your job moved elsewhere in Manhattan or to another borough, do you think you could still handle your commute? Do you enjoy Spackenkill? Is shopping close by? Neighbors friendly? Thanks for answering!
When I lived in Airmont, my commute was anywhere from an hour and 15 minutes to 2 hours plus door to door. I had to drive one exit on 87 to get to the bus stop, and sometimes there would be traffic in the mornings and cause me to catch a later bus. This would compound because then the bus would hit more traffic on 495 because it left later. Catching a bus that departs 10 minutes later would usually translate to getting into the city 20+ minutes later. Afternoons were similarly a crap shoot. The commute on Friday afternoon was always close to two hours because of the rush of people trying to leave the city for the weekend. There was always traffic in the Lincoln tunnel. There were also days where the there was no traffic at all and the commute was a breeze.

Commuting via Metro North is always predictable. It will always be on time 99% of the time, but it will never run early. My commute right now is very predictable. 10 minute drive to the station (no traffic because it's all local roads) > 1 hour and 15 minute train ride into GCT > 10 minute walk to my office. The afternoon train ride is a bit longer due to making more stops.

My average door to door taking the Coach USA bus was about an hour and a half door to door whereas my door to door taking Metro North is always an hour and forty-five minutes in the afternoon.

Metro North is definitely a more comfortable ride than the Coach USA bus. You rarely have to share your seat whereas it was pretty common to have to do this on the bus.

My job has been in their building for over 100 years, so I'm not worried about having to move. If I did have to take the subway after getting to the city, I would probably find another job.

The western side of Dutchess county has route 9 which has all kinds of shopping. Shop Rite, Stop and Shop, Lowe's, Target etc. There's a Wal-Mart down in Fishkill. The catch 22 is middle and eastern Dutchess are a lot more rural and IMO look nicer, but that would mean living further from the train stations.

Spackenkill is a small school district. My son isn't in the school system yet, but we've met quite a few parents through his daycare. A lot of people tend to know each other. Everyone that we've met so far have been friendly. There seem to be a lot of people that I've met that seem to have grown up in the area, either didn't go to college or went to Dutchess Community College, and then just never left. Personally, my wife and I prefer Rockland, but Spackenkill is a nice place to raise kids.

You hear the term "citiot" thrown around quite a bit, especially since there was a exodus of people from the city to upstate due to COVID. Locals aren't happy about the property values going up and getting priced out of buying in the area that they grew up in. This is more prevalent in hotter markets like Beacon, but it is something to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York