Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 08:30 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,278,508 times

Advertisements

Buffalo is a little bigger than Rochester, but these seem to be two of the more comparable cities in the country.

How would you compare the two cities neighborhoods? I basically see Buffalo and Rochester neighborhoods stacking up as:

Elmwood Village/Park Ave- Affluent residential neighborhood with commercial strips.
Chippewa Street-Main Street/ Alexander Street-East Ave - downtown nightlife district
Allentown/ Monroe Ave- Dense residential area with lots of nightlife.
Larkville/South Wedge- revitalizing residential area. South Wedge seems to have more doing on.
West Village Historic District/ some combination of Grove Place and Corn Hill- dense, urban historic urban district.
University Heights/Collegetown- university commercial districts
Hertel Ave/North Winton Village- less central residential/commercial area.
Canalside/High Falls- tourism district. Probably the weakest comparison, as high falls is basically a failure at this point. Maybe Charlotte is a better comparison?
???/Neighborhood of the Arts-
Fruit Belt-??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 05:41 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Maybe the Theatre District in Buffalo for the second to last comparison and perhaps Genesee-Jefferson in Rochester for the last neighborhood comparison.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:53 PM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Buffalo is a little bigger than Rochester, but these seem to be two of the more comparable cities in the country.

How would you compare the two cities neighborhoods? I basically see Buffalo and Rochester neighborhoods stacking up as:

Elmwood Village/Park Ave- Affluent residential neighborhood with commercial strips.
Chippewa Street-Main Street/ Alexander Street-East Ave - downtown nightlife district
Allentown/ Monroe Ave- Dense residential area with lots of nightlife.
Larkville/South Wedge- revitalizing residential area. South Wedge seems to have more doing on.
West Village Historic District/ some combination of Grove Place and Corn Hill- dense, urban historic urban district.
University Heights/Collegetown- university commercial districts
Hertel Ave/North Winton Village- less central residential/commercial area.
Canalside/High Falls- tourism district. Probably the weakest comparison, as high falls is basically a failure at this point. Maybe Charlotte is a better comparison?
???/Neighborhood of the Arts-
Fruit Belt-??
Pretty fair assessment I would say.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:39 PM

Perhaps the 19th Ward and Kensington would be another similar comparison.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:40 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps the 19th Ward and Kensington would be another similar comparison.

Shaky comparison, the 19th doesn't have any viable retail to speak of, and has extremely high crime rates.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Shaky comparison, the 19th doesn't have any viable retail to speak of, and has extremely high crime rates.
Perhaps this is a matter of perspective, as both are predominantly black areas with a range of incomes from lower to straight middle class and have corridors with their share of black businesses(Thurston Road in Rochester and Bailey Avenue in Buffalo). Both also vary in terms of crime in terms of some parts being better than others. Both are also close to a major university(U of R and UB). So, those were the things I was thinking of in terms of that comparison.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Perhaps this is a matter of perspective, as both are predominantly black areas with a range of incomes from lower to straight middle class and have corridors with their share of black businesses(Thurston Road in Rochester and Bailey Avenue in Buffalo). Both also vary in terms of crime in terms of some parts being better than others. Both are also close to a major university(U of R and UB). So, those were the things I was thinking of in terms of that comparison.
I don't know the numbers, but I wouldn't say it's predominantly black. I remember 30 years ago parts of Thurston started to be developed almost like Park Ave. There was a restaurant called "Peaches". The whole block had other shops and was nice. Then there was a bank robbery and shooting, and all the good went away.

This is why we can't have nice things

Old 06-07-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I don't know the numbers, but I wouldn't say it's predominantly black. I remember 30 years ago parts of Thurston started to be developed almost like Park Ave. There was a restaurant called "Peaches". The whole block had other shops and was nice. Then there was a bank robbery and shooting, and all the good went away.

This is why we can't have nice things
This is information about the 14619 zip code, which covers the vast majority of the 19th Ward: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/86000US14619-14619/

Thurston seems like a street that has a mix. This is the area I’m thinking of in terms of businesses: https://rocwiki.org/Thurston_Village

I do know west of the road and the area around Brooks, as well as the Sibley Tract around Wilson Magnet are portions of the neighborhood that still have a middle class presence. Sibley Tract info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibley...toric_District
https://celebratecityliving.com/wp-c...k_03-30-16.pdf

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roc...dia=AMP%2bHTML

19th Ward info: https://19wca.org/

I’ve also heard that some college students have been moving into rented or even bought homes in the neighborhood.

With Kensington, the area around/east of Eggert Road(one neighborhood map guide calls it Kensington Heights: https://library.buffalo.edu/maps/buf...s/lrg-map.html click on for more info.) up to the Cheektowaga border and near the border with Amherst have a middle class presence. This also spills over into the Cleveland Hill area of Cheektowaga and the LeBrun Road area of the Eggertsville area of Amherst.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-07-2021 at 02:20 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:

I’ve also heard that some college students have been moving into rented or even bought homes in the neighborhood.

The whole area by Plymouth and Genesee St. is college apartments. UR even had a pedestrian bridge refurbished crossing the river. The students also rent houses in the neighborhood.

RIT is also just down Scottsville road, but not walking distance.

Disclosure. I own a rental in the 19th. It has proven to be a very good investment. I have no student tenants. Also, there is a black lady across the street, but not a single other minority in the direct neighborhood. hmm

Old 06-07-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The whole area by Plymouth and Genesee St. is college apartments. UR even had a pedestrian bridge refurbished crossing the river. The students also rent houses in the neighborhood.

RIT is also just down Scottsville road, but not walking distance.

Disclosure. I own a rental in the 19th. It has proven to be a very good investment. I have no student tenants. Also, there is a black lady across the street, but not a single other minority in the direct neighborhood. hmm
Not surprising, as some parts south of Brooks are predominantly white like these areas: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...p-3-monroe-ny/

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...p-2-monroe-ny/

Even those block groups have a decent black resident population and it likely depends on the street.

I was put on to the area to a sibling in law that is in real estate and I believe lived in the neighborhood at one time before their family moved to Gates. That is where I found out about parents literally buying homes in the area for their children going to college nearby, because of the affordability of the homes in the area and proximity to U of R and RIT(still a short drive). This has occurred in Syracuse near Syracuse University as well.

Again, many of the businesses listed for the Thurston Village article are black owned. There was a video on YouTube from a few years ago where some businesses owners were interviewed. I believe one was the owner of an ice cream shop and another a salon owner, if I’m not mistaken.

Plus, when the zip code that covers the neighborhood is 69% black, I would think that is tough to deny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York