Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:47 AM

83 posts, read 954,012 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the reply! I have strongly considered moving South or even West but is the cost of living in Flordia really as bad as people say? This is a concern only becuase I was looking into the Tampa area a few weeks ago and my calculations put me barely above a poverty level. I figured that in-experienced teachers might make around 35K but living expenses are over 30% when compared to where I am from. Perhaps I am wrong but what would you suggest? Is this a serious issue and is this also the case in other grwoing southern areas such as the Carolinas? Please, let me know what you have found....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 06:41 AM

254 posts, read 1,057,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
If you are interested, look into North or South Carolina. They are in desperate needs of teachers and give amazing benefits and bonuses.

ummm...you are kidding right? North Carolina teachers are paid horribly (and yes I live in NC and have teacher friends..one who is from Rochester The schools here (at least in Charlotte) are way overcrowded and they are cutting aide positions left and right (and you would most likely be teaching in a trailer..or as they lovingly call it..a cottage LOL) They also have to follow VERY strict cirriculums (one of the most strict in the country) and yes if you don't follow it you will be fired...my friends son is on his 3rd teacher so far this year in 1st grade because of this.

I wouldn't come here James IMO...we want to get out of here! Have you thought about e-mailing one of the school districts to ask them some questions? I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you

Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 29,669 times
James, Please read my post where I gave you the link to the NY State Ed certification page. You should have no problem getting certified here, since Michigan is among the states who have interstate reciprocity.

If you're from Flint, Buffalo will be the place for you. The city schools will be a cake walk, compared to Flint, if you're interested in urban education.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:48 PM

Yes, I think that I have found all that I need as far as N.Y. certification on that site! I am going to try my best this spring to find a job in the area, I believe that it is worth a shot. Although the market seems tough there it is here also so I have nothing to lose!, Thanks again..

Old 01-11-2007, 09:44 PM

28 posts, read 156,500 times
Default Best Schools

The best School Districts in the Buffalo area are Williamsville School District and Clarence Central School District. I imagine it is tough to get into them, but you can find the links on my webpage. (broken link) hope this helps.
Mary

Last edited by Yac; 01-12-2007 at 04:31 AM..

Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 PM

Thanks, I have heard great things about these schools and also Amherst, Grand Island, Cheektowaga, are these all nearby surburbs? Do you know anything about subbing in these schools? Do you apply through each district individually or is there a regional approach? Please let me know if you if you do...

Old 01-12-2007, 05:05 PM

76 posts, read 400,014 times
I wld like to say dh and I are both in education. We went to the University of Buffalo, did our student teaching in Hamburg, Williamsville and Orchard Park respectively and have years of teaching experience in CA, where we moved because we could not land teaching jobs in the Buffalon area. This was with connections, I mean we know superintendents, assistant superintendents, principals, my dad was a teacher, & his uncle is a teacher and no go. It is extremely political in most of the good suburban districts and there is really no growth, maybe Lancaster and Clarence etc. Not to repeat but also there are so many schools in WNY that offer teaching credentials and being an area with little growth there is just an over abundance of qualified teachers.

I have heard estimates that suggest over 500 applicants apply for many good quality jobs. Teaching in the city of Buffalo is depressing; the district is a mess and going bankrupt. The new superintendent is from my understanding not very well liked at all.

Good Luck though it is a great place to raise a family and a nice quality of life. I was there for over 20 years and wld love to go back but gave up and found nice place in CA instead.

The subing is all individual districts and it is not great pay. Sub rate in CA is much higher. Subbing is a good way to get your foot in the door from what I hear though, if you can afford to do it.

Here is a link WNYRIC that has a few schools that do a combined application process you can apply on line etc;

http://staging.wnyric.wnyric.org/1055100121684322/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=52468 (broken link)

Here is another to help your search;

http://www.wnyschooljobs.org/

Old 01-12-2007, 05:23 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,455 times
500 applicants for 2 positions in rural Western NY--just outside of Rochester/Buffalo. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:03 AM

12 posts, read 56,158 times
Major violent crime issues? Please! Buffalo is calm compared to MANY cities in the US. I walk around DT at night alone with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
I am from the Buffalo area, and persuing a teaching job in the city. New York has (supposively) the best teacher preparation programs in the country- they are the strictist with requirements and such, so you might have a very hard time meeting those requirements.

The area is extremely competitive because we have LOADS of schools around here spitting out teacher candidates who all want to stay in the area, and are all highly qualified. My aunt moved here 10 years ago with a masters in elementary special education and is yet to find a secure teaching job. She has given up this year and now works at a job she hates at home depot.

You really have to have something special about you to even get an interview around here. I've heard of positions that received over 50 applications. Personally, I'm going to NYC for my student teaching so I will have that urban center education on my resume which should look good.

Unemployment here is high. I don't mean to be discouraging, but many people who want to stay here are forced to move south for a job unwillingly. Even if you managed to get a job here, that would just mean one more of us locals would have to look elsewhere

If you are interested, look into North or South Carolina. They are in desperate needs of teachers and give amazing benefits and bonuses.

Can I ask why you are interested in this area? I mean, I am in love with our beautiful city and the people (and our Bills and Sabres!) but to outsiders I didn't think it was that attractive. We have major violent crime issues, unemployment, and we are often viewed as a decaying city.. we have more abandoned houses than any other large city, and big budget issues too. New York also has super high taxes.

Hope this is helpful and not too depressing!!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:07 PM

54 posts, read 274,211 times
move to geneseo NY teach in rochester here's there website http://geneseony.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York