Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

So my cousins moved to FL over a decade ago, but don't like it and are thinking of moving back. They are from Utica, but don't want to go back there so they are looking at Syracuse, Rochester, and Albany. However, after living in FL for so long, they don't enjoy the cold too much and snow too much. Do you think this would be a problem or would they just get used to it? Their kids were born in FL, so would it be a lot more difficult for them to transition?

Now, they are Jewish, as am I, so which city generally has more Jews? Is one more lively with a fun downtown and lots of varied eateries? Which has the best schools? Which is safest? These cities have changed so much.

They are looking for a home under 500k with 3bed/2bath or more on a 2/3 acre or less so that there is not too much land to manicure. An urban suburb would be ideal-a dense suburb quite close to the urban areas. Schools are important since they have two children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Brighton, an educated and progressive suburb of Rochester, is the town you just described and it would be their best bet. It has one of if not the largest jewish populations in upstate NY. It is an older dense suburb with EXCELLENT (top rated) schools. Winter will still be cold and snowy there like it is in the rest of upstate NY, but if they can deal with that, I think Brighton would be the perfect place for them. $500k will get you any house you want in most of Brighton and really most of the Rochester area in general. Taxes will be high that's for sure, but they will be able to get more house for their money than in FL and from what I've heard about Florida schools they will be MUCH happier with Brighton Schools.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 PM

96 posts, read 394,530 times
Hi Jess,
I can't comment on Syracuse but I am familiar with Albany and Rochester. Rochester by far has a bigger core city with more intact city neighborhoods. And the town of Brighton abuts the city and has outstanding schools which generally make national lists of best high schools. There is a very high Jewish population-- all major Jewish holidays are public school holidays because so many of the kids are absent. Their budget will go very far in Brighton and the style here is small well-gardened lots with historic homes of widely varying size. They can walk to the town center here-- a real small-town feel but also walk/bike into Rochester itself where there are many ethnic restaurants, bike the Erie Canal and any number of parks. We are about to start our jazz festival and just completed our film festival. Anyway, check out homesteadnet.com for MLS listings. If they are considering Rochester, Brighton is the best fit according to your description. I would be glad to answer any questions. I am possibly relocating to Albany and am very frustrated because there is no "Brighton" there.

P.S. I just realized how provincial my last statement sounded-- I don't expect the world to be like Brighton. But while I am raising my kids and my husband and I are both working, the profile of our "ideal" town narrows down quite a bit and Brighton fits the bill.
P.P.S. Snow is fine-- it's the winter grays that are the bigger concern!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 PM

Wow, thanks so much. I was planning on having to narrow it down to two cities and then compare neighborhoods. You guys went straight for it! http://smileyjungle.com/smilies/celebrate2.gif (broken link)http://smileyjungle.com/smilies/celebrate0.gif (broken link)

Brighton it is. Thanks guys. That has to be one of the easiest solved questions on this whole board. LOL.

What is the zip code?

I guess I'll also ask, how are the areas directly east of downtown in zip code 14607 or south, 14620, or I guess any direction? What are the bad areas that I should definitely stay away from or even the so-so areas?

Last edited by jessemh431; 06-04-2008 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 11:03 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
If you find you're interested in Syracuse the most heavily populated jewish area is going to be Manlius - Fayetteville. It's just to the south of the city proper and extends as suburbs into cute and previously smaller villages overlooking the hills. Great schools, great houses. I can give you the name of an excellent realtor who will know just what you want if you message me.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:18 AM

96 posts, read 394,530 times
Hi Jess,
The main zip code for Brighton is 14618. Use homesteadnet.com and go to the advanced search and click on "brighton schools"-- not all of Brighton falls in the Brighton school district and some of the city does! In fact, I live in the city with a piece of yard in Brighton and we use Brighton schools and essentially feel like total Brightonians.
The 14620 and 14607 zips are fine neighborhoods. In fact, some of Brighton has the 14620 zip.
14620 is kind of West Brighton and the Southwedge part of the city- the Southwedge is mixed income lower to middle and fun with little restaurants and kind of a hippy enclave--and is separated from Brighton by Highland Park and Highland Hospital. 14607 is a very desirable part of the city known as the "Park Ave neighborhood,"-- also mixed income including some gorgeous older homes as well as many students and tons of restaurants. Its definitely a hong-out area. Also has "Neighborhood of the Arts" and all of our museums. There are pockets that run-down and sleazy too- but not a big deal. The SW and NE sections of the city have a lot of poverty and inner-city problems-- crime, drugs etc. But I drive through there without a thought. 14621 is a famous zip code for that -- hope this helps!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 PM

So to help my cousin, I went on realtor.com and I am looking in zip codes 14618, 14604, 14606, 14607, 14609, 14613, 14617, 14620, and 14622. We're hoping to narrow it down a little bit more. I realize Brighton was suggested, but I was curious as to what else is out there so that he can make the best decision. Out of those zip codes, which are the best and which are the worst? How do they compare (shopping, schools, variety of eateries, safety)?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Well...
14618: is Brighton which I'm sure you've already heard plenty about.

14604: I don't think you'll find any single family homes in 14604 because that is the zipcode for downtown Rochester and is mostly taken up by the CBD.

14607 is the trendy and beautiful Park Avenue area of the city. A lot of great old houses with tons of charecter in the type of neighborhood you are looking for...but the schools in the city aren't very good vs. excellent schools in most of the suburbs (especially brighton).

14606 is half in the city (not a very nice part of the city) and half straddling the suburbs of Greece and Gates. Greece is my hometown and I think its great, but more "big yard" sububan than it sounds like you are looking for. Gates has never really appealed to me too much and just seems (get ready to hear pretentiousness) "lower class".

14609 is mostly in the city with a little bit of it being southeast Irondequoit. East of Culver Road 14609 is nice (again, nice family friendly city neighborhood...but not so great public schools)...west of Culver Road in 14609 I would avoid.

14613 is kind of sketchy and close to the pollution from Kodak Park...if your relatives can afford to spend $500k they wouldn't be interested.

14617: This is West Irondequoit, good schools and a family friendly town. They'd probably want to stay in the northern 2/3 of this zipcode.

14620: South Wedge, Highland Park, Swillburg, Ellwanger-Berry and University of Rochester area neighborhoods. Again, all nice city neighborhoods with some great houses on lots your relatives would like..the only issue would be the city schools (unless they'd be interested in private schools).

14622: East Irondequoit. Not as good of schools as West Irondequoit, but has some beautiful homes and neighborhoods on Irondequoit Bay.

I hope this helps with your considerations. All in all, my recommendation would still be Brighton. It isn't the town I live in and I have no particular interest in living there as I am happy here in Greece...but it is a very nice town and sounds like it is exactly what your relatives would be looking for.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 AM

Wow!!! Thank you so much!!! That helps A LOT!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:52 AM

944 posts, read 3,847,592 times
Tell them to not worry about their children, they'll love the snow, cold and change of seasons. I've seen this repeatedly in Florida (kids that miss the winters up north - it's really only older people that don't miss it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York