Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 07:52 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,409 times

Advertisements

Yikes, another town entering into the debate. 8 to 14, 400ft wind turbine development being tested for Enfield by a private developer! Start doing your research now, this might be a bumpy ride.

http://www.windaction.org/news/7240
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,852 times
Yeah, I saw this in the Ithaca Journal. The developer is investing his own money now, but is looking to sell the project to the county or state (or NYSEG, I guess). I'm all for alternative nergy uses, but I can see a battle brewing over the size of these masts/turbines. Stand by.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,409 times
Yup, it is all about the appropriate siting of these massive metal structures. And remember, the energy goes into the general grid, not to the local area. So basically it is "local suffering for the greater good."

The size, setbacks, and everything else in the regulatory plan regarding this industrial development is the key to success, or to dividing a town, and turning friends into enemies fast. This has become like a virus thanks to the politicians who will never be impacted by the beasts.

Stand By is right, and buckle up for the bumpy ride!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,140 times
It puzzles me that they are looking to put these on flat farmland near residences. Here in CA, we have them, but they are almost always in remote, unpopulated areas like the desert (on the way to Palm Springs) and here in Nothern CA there are hundreds in the Altamont Pass going to the Bay Area. But there aren't house right nearby, or anything.

Also, what about frequency of wind and having adequate wind velocity? I read on this forum from someone that they are most successful in areas that have a lot of wind. I don't think the places they are looking to put them in upstate NY are particularly windy. The places they have them here are in areas of high wind, like the desert and a mountain pass. I know they also have them off-shore where they would get frequent windy conditions. So why would they put them on rural farmland? What justification could they use? And what do the "newbie" homeowners who have bought property up there think of this? They have a lot of money, but I don't know about clout if they are part-time residents.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Thank you for this warning, you may have saved a life. Will be sure to get a turbine detector for my magic carpet next time I am up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: