U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-04-2016, 11:56 AM
 
65,504 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344

Advertisements

More about Rochester's Clarissa Street units Corn Hill neighborhood: Clarissa Street - Rochester Wiki
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2016, 02:02 PM
 
65,504 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
Articles about the former Washington Courts and Goldbas housing in Utica: Reunion planned for former Washington Courts residents - News - Uticaod - Utica, NY

'Brick City' Reunion Planned for July 6, 7, and 8 - The Utica Phoenix
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2016, 06:14 PM
 
65,504 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
Info on Rochester's oldest African American owned business: Millard E. Latimer & Son Funeral Directors, Inc. - Rochester Wiki

http://melatimerfuneralhome.com

I believe that this is the same family that owned a Tourist House at 179 Clarissa in the Corn Hill neighborhood, according to the 1947 edition of the Green Book mentioned earlier in the thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2016, 08:21 AM
 
65,504 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
These facilities in Syracuse may appeal to some with artistic proclivities: Wacheva Cultural Arts | Central New York's Premiere Multicultural Dance & Drum Organization


Community Folk Art Center


Here is a long time facility in Buffalo: The Colored Musicians Club Of Buffalo, New York - Historic Jazz Club (est. 1917-1918)


More Jazz information: JazzBuffalo


Jazz@Rochester


https://www.facebook.com/cnyjazz/


a l b a n y j a z z . c o m


This jazz musician grew up in Syracuse for a portion of his childhood(attended and graduated from Fowler High): JACKIEM JOYNER

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-07-2016 at 08:32 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 PM
 
65,504 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
Another sports reference: Canisius Golden Griffins hire Reggie Witherspoon as basketball coach (He is a graduate of Sweet Home High in Amherst and coached there in the 90's)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regg...on_(basketball)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2016, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Nesconset, NY
2,202 posts, read 3,791,383 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Traditionally, Jamestown's blacks have lived in the area immediately adjacent to the CBD, north of West Sixth Street and west of North Main Street. The neighborhood was referred to by locals as "Africa". (Catherine Harris, Africa, and some history of Jamestown, NY) into the 20th century but not in recent times. Most of Jamestown's black residents still live on the North Side but many have moved further east to better neighborhoods or moved to other areas of the city. Jamestown hasn't been a particularly racially or ethnically segregated city for many decades, so it's more about economics than color or ethnic group here.
True. When the Jamestown City dump was where the Chadaquoin Park is now the black community was as Linda described, as well as, along E.2nd St. between Main St. and the Jamestown High School. I never heard the term "Africa". We just said, "Chadaquoin".

The dump was shut-down, Urban "Renewal" occurred, and most of the Chadaquoin area was torn down and turned into the Chadaquoin Park. This prompted fairly wide-spread desegregation (relative to what it was).

BTW, it wasn't until around 1978 when I heard anyone speak Spanish in Jamestown but, by the time I left (for the last time) in 1998, I think the Hispanic population had became the predominant minority group.

[Edit: yes, I know it's "Chadakoin" but I prefer the original French spelling of the native American pronunciation; which fell out of favour when the English settled Jamestown, lol]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2016, 03:36 PM
 
65,504 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
True. When the Jamestown City dump was where the Chadaquoin Park is now the black community was as Linda described, as well as, along E.2nd St. between Main St. and the Jamestown High School. I never heard the term "Africa". We just said, "Chadaquoin".

The dump was shut-down, Urban "Renewal" occurred, and most of the Chadaquoin area was torn down and turned into the Chadaquoin Park. This prompted fairly wide-spread desegregation (relative to what it was).

BTW, it wasn't until around 1978 when I heard anyone speak Spanish in Jamestown but, by the time I left (for the last time) in 1998, I think the Hispanic population had became the predominant minority group.

[Edit: yes, I know it's "Chadakoin" but I prefer the original French spelling of the native American pronunciation; which fell out of favour when the English settled Jamestown, lol]
Good information and sounds about right in terms of black neighborhoods and urban renewal. I did notice while looking at the Green Book listings, it showed that a couple of the Tourist Homes listed for Jamestown were in the West 10th and 11th Street area in between Main and Washington, with another one on Jefferson at Isabella. So, it appears that Jamestown's Black community was/is concentrated just NW of Downtown. Here is the page listing those Tourist Homes in the 1941 Green book: http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/i...b-58d385a7bbd0


I also believe that the Chadakoin Ward, had or has a Black representative in the City Council.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-08-2016 at 03:48 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2016, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Nesconset, NY
2,202 posts, read 3,791,383 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good information and sounds about right in terms of black neighborhoods and urban renewal. I did notice while looking at the Green Book listings, it showed that a couple of the Tourist Homes listed for Jamestown were in the West 10th and 11th Street area in between Main and Washington, with another one on Jefferson at Isabella. So, it appears that Jamestown's Black community was/is concentrated just NW of Downtown. Here is the page listing those Tourist Homes in the 1941 Green book: NYPL Digital Collections


I also believe that the Chadakoin Ward, had or has a Black representative in the City Council.
Yes, Vivian Taylor was a popular City Councilman and his wife, Lula Taylor. was a Chautauqua County Legislator. Two of the nicest people I've ever met (both as their paperboy and, later, when I was working on a piece for the Underground RR in Jamestown and, again, when I needed advice about getting into politics).


City of Jamestown, New York - News and Media
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2016, 06:24 PM
 
65,504 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Yes, Vivian Taylor was a popular City Councilman and his wife, Lula Taylor. was a Chautauqua County Legislator. Two of the nicest people I've ever met (both as their paperboy and, later, when I was working on a piece for the Underground RR in Jamestown and, again, when I needed advice about getting into politics).


City of Jamestown, New York - News and Media
Nice! Didn't they also have a son that also served on the council in recent years as well?

Go figure that Jamestown is where Washington DC's first Black mayor grew up. I bet a lot of people do not even know that. Walter Washington graduated from Jamestown High in 1933 and according to the yearbook(on classmates.com), next to his Senior year picture is says,"Track star, smooth clothes, hot-cha, an orchestra of his own, Duke II".

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-08-2016 at 06:37 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2016, 09:20 PM
 
65,504 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Reputation: 14344
More sports references: Kolb, Williams Named Graf Award Recipients at Watertown High School

Mohawk Valley Compass – Amsterdam NY News and Opinions

SV High senior knows all about clearing hurdles (Susquehanna Valley is a small school district just south/SE of Binghamton)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-08-2016 at 09:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top