Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 77,319 times

Advertisements

I've been reading old threads about this, and I see a common theme in many of them -- to forget about the bus that runs from Warwick. The real estate agent we have has been touting this bus route, but it looks like it's not a great idea from the posts here. Can anyone shed some light on this? What is the best way to commute to Manhattan? I will be doing it about 40% of the time for work. I currently have a long commute (2 hours each way), so I'm used to that, but I want to figure out the best way and if I need to buy a parking pass for one of the train stations. I do not want to drive into the city -- public transit only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 06:38 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,533,991 times
where is Warwick, in Orange County? If so, you could drive to Suffern in Rockland County and take the Pascack Valley train to Hoboken, NJ and take one of the PATH trains across to manhattan

Old 07-12-2008, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 41,745 times
Talking Commuting from Warwick

I grew up in Warwick. Yes, it is in Orange County. I will be back in 2 weeks for my, hmmm, 35th high school reunion. (Live in New Mexico now.)
My friend's father commuted to NYC every day for many, many years from Warwick. He took the train. Not sure exactly where he picked it up, but I think in Chester -- Amtrack?
My own father commuted to Rocklin County everyday for years and years, but he drove. I didn't appreciate his long commute until years later when I lived in California and delt with bumper-to-bumper traffic for an hour and a half only to go 25 miles.
Anyway, good luck with your commute. I am sure you will find a way. Carpool???

Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 51,892 times
Hi Everyone, I have the same the same question except that my husband works from 3-11:30pm. We live in warwick as well and are stuck to find an alternate to him driving everyday...we have looked into public transportation but it seems with his hours he misses the schedules...any info or ideas or anything that we are missing? Thanks for any help!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 PM

382 posts, read 1,525,507 times
Type in "mta metro north" in the box of your search engine and then click on maps. You'll find a lot of useful info at this site including schedules.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 44,199 times
I moved to Warwick almost a year ago, and have been commuting to Downtown Manhattan everyday. I found that the easiest way for me is driving down to Tuxedo and taking the Metro North. I took the bus once and for me the ride was just too long. The express from tuxedo takes about 1hr to NY, I drive down to tuxedo and park my car in the lot.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:49 PM

253 posts, read 804,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner1308 View Post
Hi Everyone, I have the same the same question except that my husband works from 3-11:30pm. We live in warwick as well and are stuck to find an alternate to him driving everyday...we have looked into public transportation but it seems with his hours he misses the schedules...any info or ideas or anything that we are missing? Thanks for any help!
That's funny. I work those same hours in NY. But I'm used to Metro-North.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 AM

21 posts, read 82,782 times
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickBound? View Post
I've been reading old threads about this, and I see a common theme in many of them -- to forget about the bus that runs from Warwick. The real estate agent we have has been touting this bus route, but it looks like it's not a great idea from the posts here. Can anyone shed some light on this? What is the best way to commute to Manhattan? I will be doing it about 40% of the time for work. I currently have a long commute (2 hours each way), so I'm used to that, but I want to figure out the best way and if I need to buy a parking pass for one of the train stations. I do not want to drive into the city -- public transit only.
Don't rely on your agent to know how to travel into Manhattan. I've been commuting for a year since I moved to Warwick. But my job could place me in the Bronx or Queens so I have to drive sometimes.
I did A LOT of research here and on my own. The best commuting info that covers trains and buses I found on NYRides.com. It covers NY and NJ. My job hours: 7am -2 pm are perfect for the bus in Warwick-free parking in all of Orange County at lots. But if I didn't have those hours I'd resort to driving part way and train. There are 2 bus stops in Warwick so you're among the first to board-at times the (4:55) am bus has gotten so crowded some people had to stand the whole way. And with no traffic at those hours the bus arrives in an hour and 20-30 minutes.
The Tuxedo train schedule is limited. Buses from Monroe cost more. Driving to either will add 20 minutes minimum to commute. It's very tricky. I heard people drive and take buses or trains in Jersey.
Since you're used to a 2 hour commute anyway and want to take mass transit then parking for free at the park n ride which is the second stop for the bus and sitting back all the way into the port authority isn't bad. The lot is never full. It's NJ Transit Coach/Shortline-the bus goes thru Jersey. The express bus is #196 -the local 197 is loooong. From Oct to May there is a # to call and see if the bus is running late or not at all if it's snowing. They have a website that is difficult/time consuming to navigate.
I hope this helps-good luck. It's the only way I've traveled-this bus or driving in-so that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 7,601 times
Hi Everyone
Moving to Warwick in a couple of days. What's the best way to commit to Midtown Manhattan from Warwick

Old 02-18-2017, 06:31 PM

253 posts, read 804,866 times
Congratulations! I would take Route 17. Cross the Hudson at the Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York