Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 11,097 times

Advertisements

hi everyone! currently looking to buy my first home, and i am thinking about the aforementioned areas. Basically I want to spend about $350,000, tops, for at least .25 acres of land, and 1200 sq ft. So I think I can work with these areas (Somers, not as much).

My questions:

how is brewster? i have read/heard that it's sketchy, but when looking at realtor.com many of the houses seem to offer a lot of land, very peaceful looking.

Also, I'll be commuting to the Bronx. About how long can I expect my commute when leaving at 6:30 in the morning, and leaving the Bronx at 4? Should I pack language learning cd's for the trip?? lol

And finally, how is the nightlife in these areas? I don't mean clubs or a strip or anything, just some fun local dives that have good wings or burgers.

I'm really just looking for insight about how a young couple would fare living in these areas. I mean we appreciate having dinner parties, barbecues, biking, kayaking, or relaxing in the backyard more than anything else.

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:38 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
Do you have to be in NY State? You can easily go right across the border into CT for much lower property taxes and still have a similiar commute to the Bronx. There are a lot of shopping and restaurants in Danbury. Danbury has lead the state for money brought from sales taxes over the last few years. All of the business really help out with the taxes. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2008, 11:44 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,384 times
My grandmother lives in Somers. I don't spent too much time there outside of the development where she lives, but it seems very slow going and is a pretty small, quiet town from what I gather, and a good amount of senior citizens, which is also common for Westchester in general.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 AM

103 posts, read 448,522 times
You will do much better on your budget in Brewster, Carmel and Mahopac. There are some parts of Somers (lake areas) where you can find a small house for about $350,000; but you will not see many choices there.
Basically, any place of the above mentioned are nice, friendly and quiet. There is not much in terms of active nightlife around here, but you are never too far from good "wings and burgers".
The only "sketchy" place in Brewster is the village itself. But most people live outside of the village, in the wider Southeast area, where the neighborhoods are very nice.
Your commute should not be bad, I'd say about 40-50 min. depending on where you end up buying.
Good luck!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:24 PM

20 posts, read 54,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanscosm View Post
And finally, how is the nightlife in these areas? I don't mean clubs or a strip or anything, just some fun local dives that have good wings or burgers.

Red Rooster Drive In - Brewster, NY

Somers is ritzier than Brewster. Brewster features a massive influx of illegal immigrants.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 20,529 times
I know this is probably a post that is way too late to help you, but you can still find affordable homes in Brewster. Looking in Danbury will subject you to a traffic nightmare every rush hour and God forbid another car turns over on the I684 exit to I84 towards Danbury. Add 20-30 minutes on your commute compared to Brewster. FYI, Brewster also has great schools and the lowest taxes in Putnam County.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-11-2010 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: NO signatures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York