U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:03 AM
 
1,315 posts, read 3,367,147 times
Reputation: 318

Advertisements

Is Rochester RE priced higher than its twin in Buffalo?


Cost of living comps suggest so...why so?

Higher standard of living? more jobs? perception?

Better real estate network?

Less bad press concerning local govt?

None of the above?

In five to ten years, which will be worth more, ya think?
Rochester or Buffalo?

SO where is everybody moving to around Rochester if one is a culture hound
not in need of schools or anything for sale in Target. Film background, writing editing, looking for an area where fellow creative types shsvr found some harmony in non crack neighborhoods or those in transition preferring to see some nature out my back than a drug deal or a neighbors neon swing set...etc...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,423,646 times
Reputation: 2674
Cost of living in Buffalo is lower, but not by that much. The perception is that Rochester has a better job market and higher standard of living. I haven't looked at numbers recently though. I've come across several Buffalo transplants here. they say things are much better here economically, but who knows.
The press rips apart local government too.
If you are into culture, move to the Park ave neighborhood or Neighborhood of the arts. Lots of people I know working in the arts field live in those neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 AM
 
166 posts, read 411,136 times
Reputation: 126
southwedge area between south ave and south clinton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 4,716,834 times
Reputation: 319
BUFFFFFFALO!!!!! THE All American City.

Buffalo will be ahead of Rochester by far in the future, and it is larger than Rochacha right now. With our great Historical past of being better than Chicago and more competion worldwide than any other city back in Buffalo's heyday, I'm sure after this decline that followed shortly thereafter will turn around and start climbing again. We have the Best commute times in the country - rated by Forbes, and great skyline that is looking to the future.

Though Rochester is a WNY city, I don't like it very much at all and would never move there for a multitue of reasons. Buffalo is MUCH better in this case. I don't understand why others oppose this. Major League teams in Buffalo, not in Rochacha, Better food here - it's also got more restaurants and festivals, 2nd largest festival in the Country in Buff, and it's got a better downtown, 10 times the amount of taller and nicer buildings than Rochester, more nightlife, great contemporary art and music scene here, and some great districts like Elmwood Village downtown ( rated the Third best neighborhood in America), Allentown, bustling nightife full Chippewa, and Main Street isn't short of a comeback soon (we already got the best theatre district that rivals New York City's Broadway films). Buffalo is larger, and has many more development projects underway. We do have a much better location being on then convergence of 6 bodies of water, etc. Buffalo is a better place to live and work as well as raise a family, IMO, and that's why I will never leave here (but that's also in part to our major league sports as well-can't beat the best sports scenes in the country right here with the Sabres and Bills)! Buffalo, NY has the most beautiful architecture in the nation, while Rochester can't compare. I don't mean to bash rochester, but IMHO, Buffalo is by far better and ahead of Rochacha, and it's on the rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 PM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,423,646 times
Reputation: 2674
So basically your argument is "buffalo is better for no other reason than because I say so".
Buffalo has sports teams and thats great. Other than that, both cities are similar. They both have much to offer in every category you mentioned. Its extremely stupid to make these comparisons when they are so close together and so similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Central Fl
2,902 posts, read 10,588,634 times
Reputation: 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
So basically your argument is "buffalo is better for no other reason than because I say so".
Buffalo has sports teams and thats great. Other than that, both cities are similar. They both have much to offer in every category you mentioned. Its extremely stupid to make these comparisons when they are so close together and so similar.
Warning here......one can debate here, but not attack. The use of words such as "extremely stupid" is uncalled for.

I live halfway between both. I have one son living in Buffalo and one son living in Rochester. I prefer Rochester, but Buffalo4life makes some good points, and he has a right to his opinion.

Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 4,716,834 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
So basically your argument is "buffalo is better for no other reason than because I say so".
Buffalo has sports teams and thats great. Other than that, both cities are similar. They both have much to offer in every category you mentioned. Its extremely stupid to make these comparisons when they are so close together and so similar.
true, but tell me some things that are better in Rochester than Buffalo???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 PM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 4,716,834 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Warning here......one can debate here, but not attack. The use of words such as "extremely stupid" is uncalled for.

I live halfway between both. I have one son living in Buffalo and one son living in Rochester. I prefer Rochester, but Buffalo4life makes some good points, and he has a right to his opinion.

Frank D.
I'm sorry if I was too exagerated on Buffalo being better than Rochester. I love both even still! But I prefer Buffalo - as do many of my friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 PM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 4,716,834 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
So basically your argument is "buffalo is better for no other reason than because I say so".
Buffalo has sports teams and thats great. Other than that, both cities are similar. They both have much to offer in every category you mentioned. Its extremely stupid to make these comparisons when they are so close together and so similar.
just my opinion buddy, sorry if my comparisons didnt make sense. It was a long day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 PM
 
1,315 posts, read 3,367,147 times
Reputation: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Cost of living in Buffalo is lower, but not by that much. The perception is that Rochester has a better job market and higher standard of living. I haven't looked at numbers recently though. I've come across several Buffalo transplants here. they say things are much better here economically, but who knows.
The press rips apart local government too.
If you are into culture, move to the Park ave neighborhood or Neighborhood of the arts. Lots of people I know working in the arts field live in those neighborhoods.
I remember the area - thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top