U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2008, 12:53 AM

578 posts, read 1,385,653 times
Default Rural Living in Putnam/Duchess/Orange County

I was curious...if I wanted to live within the defined NY metro region...would I be able to do so yet enjoy rural beauty?

I know Ulster County is rural..but what about others
Putnam/Duchess/Orange?

1) Are they rural?
-If so, what parts, and where does rural NY begin?
-Is this area under development pressure?

I'd like to know if there is a nice rural area..not about to be paved...but not 100 miles from NYC.
I'd think Orange County and Duchess would be rural given how far away from NYC they are, along with the hilly terrain.
I went on wikipedia...the population and density seemed to be more suburban..but again both counties have rather large sq mileage.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:54 PM

Goshen/Warwich??

Old 08-07-2008, 06:25 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,682,757 times
Default Rural areas in O.C.

Hi Blue,

Not exactly sure what you mean by rural, but there are working farms scattered throughout Orange County. There are some in Goshen, Montgomery, Warwick, Pine Island, Chester (black dirt region), Pine Bush, Circleville, Bullville, Marlboro, Cornwall, to name a few. These large tracks of land give the immediate surrounding areas a rural feel. Most towns in Orange County have their share of strip malls, subdivisions, or a town center, with shopping, banks, etc. Best advice would be to come up and drive around, and take a look. If you have the $, you can still find a decent sized piece of property, to give you the rural feel.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:46 PM

I mean rural...not being developed for strip malls...mcmansions...but country...like Northern Duchess county/Ulster County...not suburbia as in Rockland.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,682,757 times
Default OC rural land

Hey Blue,

There are shrinking pockets of rural land scattered throughout Orange County. It seems that with the economy now slowing, the growth of housing development in Orange County is slowing as well. Near where I live, there is the Stewart Airport Buffer zone, which is a few thousand acres of undeveloped land in New Windsor. There is an organization called SPARC that has fought legal battles to keep this land vacant. So far, they have been fairly successful. There is seasonal hunting in the buffer land property, and it also has roads, bike trails, horseback riding trails, hiking trails and snowmobile trails. Stewart Airport is being developed as an alternative to the overcrowded city airports. It has a long runway, and the C5 cargo planes fly in and out of there. They are quite impressive!

In Cornwall there is Blackrock Forest, and the Shunnemunk Mountain area which I believe are not going to ever be developed. Maybe others in Orange County can speak of green space in their towns. You could probably get a rural feel, but would need to protect that feel by buying a large tract of land and not developing it. I would surmise that part of the problem is that farmers can make a whole lot of money selling their land to developers, whereas farming the land may not be as lucrative.

Hope this helps. Are you able to come up and drive around the area to take a look? That would probably be the best way to decide if it is rural enough for your liking.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,517 times
I live in queens ny and is planning to buy a townhouse in middletown . Can someone please let me know if the area is still bad and also the school system. I also neet to know how long does it take to sell a property in middletown

Old 04-30-2011, 07:51 AM

263 posts, read 432,646 times
Orange County is rural west of Middletown and north/northwest of Warwick. Dutchess County is rural east of the Taconic State Parkway.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:04 AM

6,415 posts, read 6,624,738 times
Rural = farming presence: pastures, animals, fences, feed stores

Rural =/= Forests, hills, streams, rocks

Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 PM

1,901 posts, read 2,237,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
I was curious...if I wanted to live within the defined NY metro region...would I be able to do so yet enjoy rural beauty?

I know Ulster County is rural..but what about others
Putnam/Duchess/Orange?

1) Are they rural?
-If so, what parts, and where does rural NY begin?
-Is this area under development pressure?

I'd like to know if there is a nice rural area..not about to be paved...but not 100 miles from NYC.
I'd think Orange County and Duchess would be rural given how far away from NYC they are, along with the hilly terrain.
I went on wikipedia...the population and density seemed to be more suburban..but again both counties have rather large sq mileage.

Thanks.
putnam yes but with good train service and a weekday bus to danbury meeting trains all day. Rural ny is basically the entire southern tier from orange to broome then all over. If u see coach usa u in the sticks!!!!! columbia is back of nowhere. southern albany county as well. throughout central NY is rural u can tell since there is nothing but if you want absolute desolation madison county is so rural it makes dutchess look like a city!!!!! lewis only started running bus service months ago I didnt expect them to get into public transit!!! funny thing about orange if done right u will still need a car but not as much as u do.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 PM

263 posts, read 432,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
putnam yes but with good train service and a weekday bus to danbury meeting trains all day. Rural ny is basically the entire southern tier from orange to broome then all over. If u see coach usa u in the sticks!!!!! columbia is back of nowhere. southern albany county as well. throughout central NY is rural u can tell since there is nothing but if you want absolute desolation madison county is so rural it makes dutchess look like a city!!!!! lewis only started running bus service months ago I didnt expect them to get into public transit!!! funny thing about orange if done right u will still need a car but not as much as u do.
What are you talking about? Orange is not the middle of no-where and they have Coach USA/Short Line. Syracuse is Central NY and its sure not rural. There is a great deal of rural in New York, but you cannot call an whole area rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York