Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:58 PM

112 posts, read 381,231 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the Rochester forum. What are Buffalonians opinion of Rochester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,208 times
Oh dear, don't get me started again... though Rochester is a WNY city, I don't like it very much at all and would never move there for a multitue of reasons. Buffalo is MUCH better in this case. I don't understand why others oppose this. Major League teams in Buffalo, not in Rochacha, Better food here - it's also got more restaurants and festivals, 2nd largest festival in the Country in Buff, and it's got a better downtown, 10 times the amount of taller and nicer buildings than Rochester, more nightlife, great contemporary art and music scene here, and some great districts like Elmwood Village downtown ( rated the Third best neighborhood in America), Allentown, bustling nightife full Chippewa, and Main Street isn't short of a comeback soon (we already got the best theatre district that rivals New York City's Broadway films). Buffalo is larger, and has many more development projects underway. We do have a much better location being on then convergence of 6 bodies of water, etc. Buffalo is a better place to live and work as well as raise a family, IMO, and that's why I will never leave here (but that's also in part to our major league sports as well-can't beat the best sports scenes in the country right here with the Sabres and Bills)! Buffalo, NY has the most beautiful architecture in the nation, while Rochester can't compare. I don't mean to bash rochester, but IMHO, Buffalo is by far better and ahead of Rochacha, and it's on the rise.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:13 PM

Buffalo seems better for people that like the city life, but I kind of liked the suburban areas of Rochester over Buffalos suburbs. Parts of Rochester are booming like Victor for example. Companies are locating there also. I'm seriously considering Rochester for it's nice suburbs. I want to get the hec out of Chicago anyway.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedzone View Post
Buffalo seems better for people that like the city life, but I kind of liked the suburban areas of Rochester over Buffalos suburbs. Parts of Rochester are booming like Victor for example. Companies are locating there also. I'm seriously considering Rochester for it's nice suburbs. I want to get the hec out of Chicago anyway.
interesting - I love Buffalo's suburbs much more than Rochester's - i'm shocked you would pick Rochester's over Buffalo's!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 PM

Could you describe to me what things in Rochester's metro has over Buffalo? I'm very curious as to what the suburbs are doing better in Rochester. To me it's pretty equal - and if you're a shopping person, would'nt Buffalo's suburbs be the place to be for that as well as live?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 AM

I'm not trashing Buffalo mind you. One of the attractions of Rochester is it's proximity to Buffalo! Take Victor a suburb of Rochester for example. There is a building boom there. Property values are rising, the average income is well above par and businesses are locating there. Don't have to worry about being near a radioactive-toxic brownfield at least to my knowledge in Rochester. That's one attraction.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 AM

260 posts, read 977,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Oh dear, don't get me started again... though Rochester is a WNY city, I don't like it very much at all and would never move there for a multitue of reasons. Buffalo is MUCH better in this case. I don't understand why others oppose this. Major League teams in Buffalo, not in Rochacha, Better food here - it's also got more restaurants and festivals, 2nd largest festival in the Country in Buff, and it's got a better downtown, 10 times the amount of taller and nicer buildings than Rochester, more nightlife, great contemporary art and music scene here, and some great districts like Elmwood Village downtown ( rated the Third best neighborhood in America), Allentown, bustling nightife full Chippewa, and Main Street isn't short of a comeback soon (we already got the best theatre district that rivals New York City's Broadway films). Buffalo is larger, and has many more development projects underway. We do have a much better location being on then convergence of 6 bodies of water, etc. Buffalo is a better place to live and work as well as raise a family, IMO, and that's why I will never leave here (but that's also in part to our major league sports as well-can't beat the best sports scenes in the country right here with the Sabres and Bills)! Buffalo, NY has the most beautiful architecture in the nation, while Rochester can't compare. I don't mean to bash rochester, but IMHO, Buffalo is by far better and ahead of Rochacha, and it's on the rise.
You my friend are way to bias... And your knowledge is somewhat off. I love Buffalo and since I love Buffalo I will not bash Buffalo. It is WNY.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM

260 posts, read 977,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
You my friend are way to bias... And your knowledge is somewhat off. I love Buffalo and since I love Buffalo I will not bash Buffalo. It is WNY.
I will not put down Buffalo or Rochester just correct areas that need to be corrected. Anyways its us against the rest of NY.

Your comment about Buffalo having a larger Skyline. This is false.

Buffalo-
Buildings of Buffalo / Emporis.com
Rochester-
Buildings of Rochester / Emporis.com

Notice I put Buffalo in first. Buffalo's tallest building is HSBC Center. Rochester's tallest is Xerox Tower. HSBC is not much taller than Xerox.

So in the race to see who has the biggest tower, Buffalo in 1st but Rochester places 2,3,4s in that race. Rochester's skyline averages out taller than Buffalo. Now if you put into perspective that Arunas Chesonis is building Rochester's new tallest which will most likely be taller than HSBC. Once PaeTec Center is built Buffalo has nothing on Rochester.

I am informed.

Oh yeah this don't belittle Rochester, were WNY together. Were better bigger and better than the rest of Upstate and we are going to keep it that way.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:01 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
There was a time when Batavia was bigger then both Rochester and Buffalo...the true hub of Western NY....

Both are unique. I do like Rochester's suburbs better....Victor, Penfield, etc. Even Churchville, Chili, Gates, Brighton, etc. Rochester's south wedge is also nice....Park Ave, etc....

Rochester seems a bit easier to get around in , IMHO. It seems a bit cleaner to me also...a BIT more upscale and less "rust-belt" like.

Please don't bash.....there are great things about Buffalo also...(they have a better Apple store).....being in the middle of both, I tend to gravitate to Rochester more.

I do understand that we are ALL Western NY, and need to stick together against downstate.

Frank D.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
I will not put down Buffalo or Rochester just correct areas that need to be corrected. Anyways its us against the rest of NY.

Your comment about Buffalo having a larger Skyline. This is false.

Buffalo-
Buildings of Buffalo / Emporis.com
Rochester-
Buildings of Rochester / Emporis.com

Notice I put Buffalo in first. Buffalo's tallest building is HSBC Center. Rochester's tallest is Xerox Tower. HSBC is not much taller than Xerox.

So in the race to see who has the biggest tower, Buffalo in 1st but Rochester places 2,3,4s in that race. Rochester's skyline averages out taller than Buffalo. Now if you put into perspective that Arunas Chesonis is building Rochester's new tallest which will most likely be taller than HSBC. Once PaeTec Center is built Buffalo has nothing on Rochester.

I am informed.

Oh yeah this don't belittle Rochester, were WNY together. Were better bigger and better than the rest of Upstate and we are going to keep it that way.

Ah shucks this isn't good for BUFF. Ah well the city is dying what can I say. Now just to let you know - I meant Buffalo has more buildings than Rochester - and 3 clusters as Rochester has 1. I don't really want to bring Rochester down, But i want to bring Buffalo up so much that I would do anything to make it better on reputaion standpoint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York