U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:59 AM

250 posts, read 601,412 times
I do hope that if they do offer your husband the job you get a chance to come up here and see the area for yourself. Besides the spouses-following-spouses thing, there is a reason that a lot of people stay in the area. I was here as an undergrad at Ithaca College and jumped at the opportunity to come back after grad school. I love it, and I'm so glad that living here has worked out for us.

I can understand being ready for a "real job"; my husband finished library school two years ago and just finally ended up with something that uses his skills.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM

18 posts, read 23,819 times
Thanks. We're still waiting to hear how his phone interview went and if they invite him up in person. I'm just concerned about the NY bar--passing it and then finding a legal job, if I decide to go that route. I know there is a glut of attorneys in the city, but I am having trouble finding info about how that affects upstate NY. In other words, are the NYC attorneys giving up and using their license in places like Ithaca, or are they hanging onto the hope of making it big in the city no matter what?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 AM

863 posts, read 162,725 times
Ithaca has a STRONG appeal to many of the lawyers that graduate upstate much less the city.Your chances of getting any kind of legal job without "connections" are nil.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:42 AM

421 posts, read 705,239 times
Quote:
Your chances of getting any kind of legal job without "connections" are nil.
I wouldn't say that.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the encouragement after the nay-sayer, Ellie. I know it is hard to get any job without connections these days, true. But I'm the first of my family to even go to college, let alone law school. My family is blue collar. So I don't have connections down here either. Gets discouraging when you see jobs handed to people just because they know someone or are married to somebody, especially when you know you could do the job just as well if not better. But hey, I don't think my chances are worse up there than they are here, except for the fact I don't have a NY license and would have to pass a 3rd bar exam. I'm really not looking forward to that. But, if it gets my husband a job he would really love that pays well, and brings us stability, we'll see...

Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM

I'm sure you'll do fine on the bar exam. You passed two of them already! I don't blame you for the apprehension; I hate taking tests.

You just never know where life will lead you. I don't think anyone can say that your path will go one way or the other, and if they insist they do know, then I'd like to speak to them about the lottery numbers for the next drawing, please!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 PM

863 posts, read 162,725 times
Nay-sayer? Facts are facts ! Chances are porobaly even worse up here than faster growinfg south,no connections no good/any lawyer job.People fight over 25K public defender jobs. Probaly do better at any job Cornell might round up.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 PM

I know it has been forever and a day since I posted on here and probably no one will be back to read it, but just in case you do, I thought I'd offer an update. The Cornell job fell through. I had mixed emotions about it. But overall, I think I am relieved. I dreaded the cold and dreaded being so far from where I grew up. I'd still like to visit there if I ever get the chance, but I'm really a small town southern girl at heart.

My hubby ended up getting an even better paying job just outside of Augusta, GA. This will keep me where I am licensed, though I may need to take the SC bar to be more marketable. Right now, legal jobs in Augusta are pretty much non-existent. I'm praying for a job at Fort Gordon, but not holding my breath. If it comes through, we'll pretty much be set until we each retire. I wouldn't want to leave a civilian army job and Paul would stay with his as long as he could. If it doesn't come through, I could face a very lengthy, discouraging job search, even in my home state. Still, my hubby's new job buys me some time. My unemployment will just delay buying a house. My only fear now is staying 'employable' and doing something worthwhile with my time so that when the economy does turn around I will still look like a good job candidate.

Thanks for all the advice here,

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-13-2008 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM

701 posts, read 1,949,317 times
thanks for the update.. I was curious about your saga. For what it's worth, except for the cold, you probably would have loved Cornell and Ithaca. But speaking as a NY attorney, your job situation would have been difficult. Outside of the major cities, it is all very small firms and solo practitioners. Your best bet would have been to latch on to a solo practitioner earning peanuts, while getting help building your own little practice.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:17 PM

Good luck in GA. If you ever get the chance, Ithaca is a beautiful place to visit, especially in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York