Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM

28 posts, read 237,178 times

Advertisements

I went to see some houses in the city of Beacon. I was so dissapointed with some parts of the city, overall. Some parts are very ghetto, and it reminded me of Brooklyn, some other areas are average. I have two girls under the age of 4, I am not quite sure if I want to move them there, while working in the city. What about Fishkill or East Fishkill? The commute from there to Grand Central or the city of Wappingers. I would love for someone to guide me step by step. I am planning to leave Queens, and I leave in a decent area in Forest Hills. Any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 AM

472 posts, read 872,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lij2kids View Post
I went to see some houses in the city of Beacon. I was so dissapointed with some parts of the city, overall. Some parts are very ghetto, and it reminded me of Brooklyn, some other areas are average. I have two girls under the age of 4, I am not quite sure if I want to move them there, while working in the city. What about Fishkill or East Fishkill? The commute from there to Grand Central or the city of Wappingers. I would love for someone to guide me step by step. I am planning to leave Queens, and I leave in a decent area in Forest Hills. Any advice

Yes, for many years areas of Beacon were depressed and had issues with crime. For the last 7-8 years however the city has seen some dramtic improvements and there has been a more gentrified comunity moving in. The important thing to realize with Beacon are the good schools and the fact the community overall is on the rise.

Fishkill is a mix of old and new. The western side of Fishkill is more Dutchess county natives. In and around the village you can find some nice older homes in the $300K-$400K. East of Rt 9 there are newer condo communities and a large new housing development with brand new townhouses. It seems many NYC transplants are moving there. Fiskill is 12-20 miute drive to the Beacon train... another 90 to 100 minute train ride to NYC

Wappingers Falls is also a nice area, albeit a little lower in income and housing values depending on where you look. Keep in mind it's another train stop which adds another 15 minutes to an already long train commute. I used to live in Wappingers and I took the train from New Hamburg. I worked just 5 minutes from Grand Central and it took me 2 hrs 10 mins door to door. For downtown you it could be closer to 2 1/2 hrs.

Not sure of an African American community to speak of... more NYC transplants vs DC natives is what I see. Dutchess County is predominantly white except for areas of Poughkeepsie, Beacon and Wappingers. My advice is to take a weekend and drive up here. Do you own a car? You will most certainly need one if you live here. Drive through the areas you are looking for and calculate commuting routes from there. There are many Day care centers (Tudor Time, Crayola Box) I would set appointments and visit these places. To make a move this far away from NYC I would really suggest you visit first. I've seen many move here, and quickly realize that life isn't the same they left behind in Queens or Yonkers.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Default need to relocate

Thank you for your advice. They have some new constructions in Beacon. But I don't see myself living there. I can't really spend 2hrs 1/2 back and forth on a daily basis. I will be able to commute 1 1/2 hr the most. What other cities can you refer me. I need something affordable, with good day cares, and extra curricular activities for my two girls.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:32 PM

I went to East Fishkill, I saw a lot raised ranch and the old houses that were built in the early 1900's seemed to be haunted. But I do have a car. My main concern right now its' to relocate to a city that's near grand central and a good day care with extended hours for my kids. Please provide me with the name of the day cares and their phone numbers.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:19 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
Just seeing this post.

And I have to say as a resident here of 10 years. The criteria that you are looking for is limiting.

1. 300-400 doesnt buy you too much. True real estate is affordable in comparison to westchester..but idea that dutchess is inexpensive.....not so.

2. The most direct way that I know to the City is via the beacon line (hudson line). Another poster mentioned pawling..but the poster was accurate in that the commute is longer, the school are just "okay" and its a VERY small town with small town shops. You have to love a more rural lifestye. Its very quiet as well. The closet mall and big box shopping would be toward danbury connecticut which would be about 40 minutes away.

3. The hudson line which runs across the river (beacon fishkill and northwards) is more of a direct route, and the benefit is that you are near the major big box and "mall" shopping areas that become very convenient in the winter when there is two feet on the ground.

4. You had mentioned prices of daycares....roughly 15o-200 PER week--for a center (tutortime, kindercare) type of center that would offer extended care, hot meals, snacks and milk and juice. Private family or group care might be less..but its not something that I personally prefer.

5. Schools: Historically the only school districts that are ranted and raved about are Arlington, Wappingers central (not the schools that are closer to beacon and fishkill...but towards the eastside), and spackenkill(but that is farther north and parts of pougkeepsie kids get dumped in their..so its a crapshoot).

6. As far as the african american community....historically speaking Beacon, Beacon city, the city of poughkeepsie, part of fishkill(again along the river side). That is a personal choice..but you can visit the areas and see what you think.

7. White/Asian Communities...historically speaking with regards to southern dutchess are in Arlington schools, Wappingers, some of spackenkill....pawling, dover.

8. If ethnic background isnt an issue for you..my first choice for a top notch education would be to get your kids into arlington schools. I have been pleased with the top notch education....its not cheap by anymeans to live with the school boundaries..but you know what..your resale is worth it, the community is nice....their isnt much diversity..but the school system is wonderful....

BTW, we are south Asian indian, live in the district and have NEVER felt any sort of racial issues...NONE NONE NONE.

Some names for the "better daycares/preschools" are Creative Kids (has both brewster and beekman locations), Tots-N-us, tutortime, kindercare, acorns to oaks, kids express. There are others..but these are "THE" places to send the kids.

9. Commute....Just check it 0ut on metro north...that will give you the most accurate commute times..and then add 10-15 minutes for commute to get there. Honestly, the Beacon line is the most convenient...and there are nice towns that surround it...just dont go to beacon school!!!! I would plan on at least a good 1.5 hours EACH way..honest.

10. The prison system: Yes there are a couple of prisons up here in south dutchess....One is in Beacon....its HUGE HUGE and its the scariest thing right off the 84 near the bridge..its a MAX penn...and its near fishkill as well.

Hope this helps

Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Thank you mom2gurls for all the information. I will definitely keep you posted. Please keep me inform if something else comes up.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:20 PM

What towns in Beacon or where in Becaon that I should start looking? I narrowed my search, and I think the city of Beacon will be more convenient for me. Remember that I have 2 girls under the age of 4. I will need a nice town with good day care, so that I can tell the real estate agent where to start line up few houses.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 12,719 times
beacon has a african american community, so dose pk. beacon is also the most diverse city north of nyc and south of albany

Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,879 times
i was browsing and i read your posts and i live in fishkill and commute to nyc everydayto the train station in the morning 12 mins i take the 5:32 from beacon to the city and arrives there at 6:50 am return back on the 2 :50pm and let me say mom2girls is correct its not cheaper and seriously try the commute for a week or two rent a room in a hotel and explore i came because of the house and the school reviews. and the small population and change scenery i use to live in the bronx because i got to be close to good jobs but i wanted to live a little nicer im african american and have been living here 5 years now 2 kids 1 yr and 3 y old r its true you are closer to a lot of lot of things shopping food healtcare name it big box mom and pop its here i visited pawling and i got friends there newburg i have friends almost everywhere up here and they say fishkill is the spot and rightly so houses aint cheap mine was up there but its what i wanted i got a live in sitter that leaves on the weekend my wife works up here now but not at first beacon is close to the train station but in fishkill if im running late i go to the cold spring stop 18 mins from fishkill vs 12 min to beacon but thats because i leave my house at 5:20 the train gets there at 5:40 i must say it nice up here but more people are discovering it so do your research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York