Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:50 PM

110 posts, read 347,206 times

Advertisements

I heard, and read that Upstate and Downstate could possibly become entirely seperate entities.

There has been movements in the past calling for just this. Look it up in Wikipedia.

If this happens then the whole 2 new states are in deep trouble as this won't economically or culturally help New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:10 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
There is such deep hostility between many regions of NYS... this has been a constant discussion... It almost seems as though everything from Albany East and South to NYC should find themselves seperated from the rest of NYS... It is an US vs THEM mentality in NYS... sad but true.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
sad but true...yet also totally understandable. The current policies in place just work differently for different parts of the state. For the msot part, NYC, Downstate, and Albany are more adaptable to the way things are set up in Albany, but for the rest of us, it just doesn't work. I think everything from Syracuse west should be it's own state, with the Adirondacks/St. Lawrence valley thrown in. And everything from Albany/Saratoga Springs east/south should stay NY state. Give Upstate NY some nice Native American name like Seneca or Niagara.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
sad but true...yet also totally understandable. The current policies in place just work differently for different parts of the state. For the msot part, NYC, Downstate, and Albany are more adaptable to the way things are set up in Albany, but for the rest of us, it just doesn't work. I think everything from Syracuse west should be it's own state, with the Adirondacks/St. Lawrence valley thrown in. And everything from Albany/Saratoga Springs east/south should stay NY state. Give Upstate NY some nice Native American name like Seneca or Niagara.
Totally agree... Western and Central NY often get the short end of the stick... Let us be our own entity... have our own Govt... We aren't seen as equals in the states eyes anyway...

But I don't see it happening...

Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM

Right, i should have mentioned that too. I don't see it happening within my lifetime unfortunately. I do however see the possibility of Albany getting the message that we are being really screwed over by their policies and finding a way to make it work for us.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 AM

I don't agree that it should be a seperate state. We do need stronger representation in Albany though, so things here can get done.

I'm from The Bronx and when it came to decisions from Albany policy makers in regards to the Downstate area, they are much quicker to pass legislation and bills for NYC area benefit. Sad but true.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx-Rochester View Post
I I'm from The Bronx and when it came to decisions from Albany policy makers in regards to the Downstate area, they are much quicker to pass legislation and bills for NYC area benefit. Sad but true.
At least we have someone to back up all of our so called "WHINING" with personal experience...

Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
At least we have someone to back up all of our so called "WHINING" with personal experience...

Hey I live here too so I gotta deal with the s*** like you do so fall back, yo. But it is true and who said anyone was whining??? Things just don't get done in Upstate as quickly as you would like because of a lack of significant representation

Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 PM

Bronx...I believe that SKBS was saying she was thankful for your post and was agreeing with you...not insulting you.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Bronx...I believe that SKBS was saying she was thankful for your post and was agreeing with you...not insulting you.
Yes, Yo... that was what I was doin'... Yo LOL Back Up... LOL

it was in total agreement...

Yo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York