Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,534,656 times

Advertisements

yes...but is it the best city between Buffalo and Rochester; that's what the thread is asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 06:40 PM

103 posts, read 652,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1 View Post
im thinking of moveing from orlando fl to amherst. can anyone tell me whats there to do up there? and hows the crime?
Amherst is the largest suburb of Buffalo. If it were a city, it would be the 4th largest in NYS. Amherst is always rated in the top 3 safest communities over 50,000 people in the US, and it is the safest at the 100,000+ mark.

As far as what is to do - like any community there is dining, outdoor activities (freshwater boating and fishing, skiing is an hour away, hiking, a plethora of golf courses (last year the golfers were out 10 months - talk about hardcore!) etc., etc, professional sports (football and hockey), shopping, outdoor amusementt parks (just not at the Florida scope!). The Buffalo area features great architecture, history - you can visit several President's graves at Forest Lawn in Buffalo. They actually do tours because of all the famous (and infamous) persons buried there. A world class art museum, many colleges and universities. There's a little attraction called Niagara Falls that is 30 minutes up the road. That is of course a must-see.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 33,104 times
Albion is a wonderful place to live if one person in the family commutes to Rochester and the other to Buffalo. The school district is great, youth sport programs are great, dancing schools, theatre program at the school are all great. Very few kids are cut and so are able to experience many great things. My husband is a professor in Rochester and I work in Brockport. My brother is an attorney in Albion and his wife commutes to Buffalo to her law firm.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 AM

131 posts, read 739,692 times
I agree that Albion is a great family town with affordable homes. Neighbouring Medina is just as nice and affordable, with an historic downtown recently revitalized. If you like rural small town living with city amenities reasonably close by, either Albion or Medina would be great choices.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 PM

103 posts, read 652,790 times
I love Medina! The downtown really is revitalized, especially compared to many small cities and towns in upstate NY. It amazes me how much better it looks than more affluent towns. They've really done a remarkable job.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:34 PM

10 posts, read 79,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I doubt Attica is the name that comes to mind when you are thinking of a place you want to live...unless you are a convict who likes prison riots.
Prison jokes aside, Attica could actually be a viable choice as a place to live between Buffalo & Rochester. Its about 12 miles south of Batavia and the I-90 Thruway. Nice, quiet country living with excellent housing stock at good prices, close to lots of recreation (Letchworth State Park (amazing waterfalls and hiking) and the Southern Tier hills with lots of good snowsports and outdoor activities if you're into those sorts of things. The public schools in Attica are excellent as well. If you can get over the name of the town which haunts many people because of the notorious prison riots in 1971, you just might find an ideal small town/village that fits the needs of your family.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 PM

17 posts, read 95,733 times
Medina actually is slowly getting better day by day. I live here and I must say that it is VERY NICE in the summer time. The people are pleasant also.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:57 PM

16 posts, read 79,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
There aren't any cities between the 2 but small/medium towns. Batavia is probably closest to half way I think.
Batavia is a city(I should know I have lived here since the day I was born).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrow View Post
Take a look at the village of LeRoy. It's a small village with lovely Victorian era buildings and homes, AND it's home to the Jello Museum. Also close to the amazing Genesee Country Museum.

Genesee County has many small villages that are worth consideration. Good luck with your search.
IA! LeRoy is nice and has one of the best school districts. Batavia is nice too(this coming from me who wanted to move, but is now reconsidering and opening my eyes to what I would be giving up here), but I have issues with the school district here(they seem to like to discriminate against disabled students/adults who wanna teach in the district here, and I know first-hand b/c I am legally blind). Other than that issue I think living here is not that bad and it's right smack dab in between both Buffalo and Rochester. It may only take about a half hour to get to both to 45 min(depending on how fast of a driver you are that is)to get to both cities. That is no matter which way you take(i. e. Route 5 or the Thruway, among other ways you will get to know if you move here lol). Anyways, now that I opened my eyes to what I would be giving up if I were to leave; I must say I like it here even though there isn't much for younger people to do here(especially during the winter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I lived in Medina for a little more than a year. I was from Connecticut and bought a home there with the intent to start up a small business. While I found in general that the people of Medina was fairly nice and pleasant I did find the Village Hall to be a rather corrupt entity that was not interested in adhering to state and federal laws or regulations that pertained to my particular business. They do a fantastic job of driving out existing business and preventing new business from coming into town.

I have been told that I should have moved to Albion. A different mentality from Medina they say. If I move back to that region I will put Albion on the list especially if it is more small business friendly than Medina.

Batavia has about 15 to 16,000 people and is the only city of size between Buffalo and Rochester. My few visits there were fine and I found people to be pleasant. One transplant from Tennessee loved the area and she told me she never wanted to leave Batavia.
That is surprising that someone from out of the area likes Batavia that much to me. Although as I previously mentioned I was thinking of leaving this city, but trying to figure out a way to stay in WNYS if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnbdnn View Post
This is a copy of my post on another thread.

Don't do it!!! I HAD to move from NYC to Rochester, and it's horrible up here.

First, the weather. It's almost as hot in the summer as NYC. But worse, it's far, far colder in the winter (and I'm originally from Minnesota, so I know from where I speak). And the WORST (weather-wise) is it's always frickn' cloudy, grey, overcast. I'm not one to take pills, drugs or medication (I only do a once a day vitamin), but after my first 9 months here, I went to a doctor to see about anti-depressants.

Second, this is a cultural wasteland. They talk about the theater scene, the music, etc. It’s a joke. Stuff they show at the big “theater” (GEVA) is so outdated, and/or lowbrow, and/or embarrassingly middle class (in the worse possible sense of the phrase). Musically, one of the recent offerings was a Pops concert featuring—get this—theme songs from movies! One could go on and on, but it would just be too depressing.

Third, the food sucks (sorry for the language). The people here will try and tell you of “all” the good restaurants; DO NOT BELIVE ANYONE!!!!! Ask these people where they’ve spent their lives eating (and what), ask them to what are they comparing all these “good” Rochester restaurants? See what their base-line comparison is before trusting their evaluation.

The upstate economy is in the tank. Property taxes are through the roof (although housing prices are low—but no one is moving here, so what’s going to be the appreciation rate?) There are no real, good parks to get out and walk or bike around (including Highland Park—despite what people might say). The downtown is dead. The only shopping to be had is in suburban strip malls with a smaller-than-average assortment of boring chain stores (and even there, the inventory is often smaller than what is to be found at the same store in other cities). It is so bland, so boring, so mind-numbingly provincial; the best thing going is the airport; it’s easy to get to to get out (although I will admit that Strong Hospital does have a good reputation—but that sort of sums things up doesn’t it. That is, you have to be sick or dying to get anything out of this place). Moreover, all this hold for the general upstate New York area; indeed, some of the things I mentioned are much worse in other cities up here. About the only place up here that I would even consider moving to would be Ithaca.

Good luck, you’ll need it if you move here.
How can you compare NYC to Rochester? I am sorry, but you jsut can't when Rochester is TINY compared to NYC. I think you need to up the dose of tha tmedication you're on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaAnn67 View Post
That is correct...Batavia would be the "city" right in the middle of Buffalo and Rochester. I grew up there, and now live in Orlando. As a child I thought it was small and boring...but now as an adult I long to move back to the area. Batavia has grown alot over the last several years. They now have a Home Depot, BJ's wholesale and the Walmart is turning into a "super store". I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Do you want to live in a big city? The nice thing about Batavia is that it is right between 2 larger cities...you get the best of both places. Take a look at MYGenesee.com. Good luck to you.
ITA with you. Actually you are kinda making wish I could find a way to stay in Batavia(or surrounding areas), but I don't know now if I can unless something chaning drastically so I can get a teaching job in my own district.

Anyways, I agree that Batavia is the best place to move between both cities if you want an actual "city" that is between them. It may be small, but at least it has an identity all its own unlike some of the other places that have been mentioned that are more or less suburbs of Buffalo and Rochester.

Okay enough of me going on and on about this city lol.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:17 PM

259 posts, read 885,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1 View Post
im thinking of moveing from orlando fl to amherst. can anyone tell me whats there to do up there? and hows the crime?
Amherst NY has been listed at or near the top of the safest cities in the US list since it came out.

SAFEST 5: MOST DANGEROUS 5:

Brick Township, NJ 1 St. Louis, MO

Amherst, NY 2 Detroit, MI

Mission Viejo, CA 3 Flint, MI

Newton, MA 4 Compton, CA

Troy, MI 5 Camden, NJ

Old 07-19-2007, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 88,608 times
Thumbs down Buffalo looks scary!

I saw the video posted called "Buffalo's Ghetto" and it showed the city looking like New Orleans! Abandoned homes! plus it probably has bums in the streets! I was thinking about visiting Buffalo but now I'm thinking NO WAY. I think Buffalo looks a lot like Detroit also. Just terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York