U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:03 AM

3,357 posts, read 5,309,066 times

Advertisements

I was looking online and there are quite a few condo's for sale at this price.

Seems kind of cheap, since thats a nice area and close to NYC.

Bon Air condos and Oakdale Manor were the places they were in.

Anything that I should know, or is that really what they cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 04:30 PM

9 posts, read 38,265 times
Yeah, you need to know that although they list them as condos, they are really co-ops. That means that you own a percentage of the entire property, not your apartment. Co-ops are difficult to get mortgages for, and are not good investments. The biggest deal breaker, thought, is the average $800.00 to $1000.00 monthly home owner association fees. Stay away, everyone else does.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:46 PM

3,357 posts, read 5,309,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7laura397 View Post
Yeah, you need to know that although they list them as condos, they are really co-ops. That means that you own a percentage of the entire property, not your apartment. Co-ops are difficult to get mortgages for, and are not good investments. The biggest deal breaker, thought, is the average $800.00 to $1000.00 monthly home owner association fees. Stay away, everyone else does.

i am shocked. The fees are really that high?

I figured it would cost whatever the mortgage is, plus maybe $250 for HOA fees, and then taxes. Which would be fine by me.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:21 PM

247 posts, read 440,899 times
I was there today looking at the development. I must say.....the area is beautiful and seems like a perfect place for a small family.

However, when I saw the monthly maintenance fees.......it was clearly not for me. I agree with 7laura397.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:32 AM

3,582 posts, read 6,054,157 times
Yeah..but dont forget you can write off anywhere from 40% to 70% of those monthly fees. And within those costs is your heating, water & sewer, taxes, ground maintenace, & pool/clubhouse if they have one. When you crunch the numbers & see how much you get back in taxes its not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7laura397 View Post

Old 08-24-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Yeah..but dont forget you can write off anywhere from 40% to 70% of those monthly fees. And within those costs is your heating, water & sewer, taxes, ground maintenace, & pool/clubhouse if they have one. When you crunch the numbers & see how much you get back in taxes its not that bad.
That's a good point. Is true that with condominiums, you cannot write of the HOA fees? But with co-ops......you can.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:13 AM

Yes. That is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
That's a good point. Is true that with condominiums, you cannot write of the HOA fees? But with co-ops......you can.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:33 AM

3,547 posts, read 3,774,006 times
Keep in mind that taxes and utility costs are very high up there. You might want to request a break down of what goes to each area from you monthly payment.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 AM

Thanks very much.

There is a new condominium development in Suffern. The taxes & HOA are approximately $8K .....but this is only an estimate from the builders. Since this a new development........there is not an existing HOA in place.

Do new condominiums come with a guarantee like new homes do from the builder? From what I heard......builders of condos transfer all the rights to the HOA and then the HOA is responsible thereon.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 AM

^^ I dont think they can give a "guarantted" number till closing. But the builder can be very, very close. Remember new contruction is taxed more! Atleast here on LI it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York