U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM

29,051 posts, read 33,003,808 times
What do you mean by "steering" in terms of the school system? I think I know what you are getting at, but wanted to make sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,460,627 times
Rockland County is alright. I work in Suffen. It has both its pro's & cons. If you don't have any kids then don't worry about the school system. Rent a car and take a drive through the county.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 AM

1,737 posts, read 3,902,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What do you mean by "steering" in terms of the school system? I think I know what you are getting at, but wanted to make sure.
A couple I know bought a house in New City. They settled in NC in order to send their child to the very good Clarkstown South. The county told them that the child had to go to Ramapo.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:27 PM

701 posts, read 1,948,413 times
That's not "steering." School district boundaries are well defined. They can't steer 1 particular child to one district, and another child to another district.

Parts of New City fall within East Ramapo schools. Specfically, the area bordering West Clarkstown road. Years ago, this region was zoned as Spring Valley, but the post office changed to New City. Still, schools remained East Ramapo.

It's a matter of buyer beware. When buying a home, be sure you know that school district is zoned.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:52 PM

1,737 posts, read 3,902,743 times
I would love to look at the boundaries. Their home is much closer to Clarkstown South than Ramapo. And then I would love to know what schools the neighbors are going.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 PM

It's easy enough to look it up on a number of realtor websites.

For example, if you live on 1 side of West Clarkstown Schools, you go to Clarkstown schools. From the other side, it is East Ramapo schools. That hasn't changed in the last 40 years or more.

It is not a decision made by the county. It is a simple matter of the maps. You pay school taxes, based on the map. If you pay Clarkstown school taxes, then you go to Clarkstown schools. If you pay East Ramapo taxes, then you go to East Ramapo schools. If a family paying Clarkstown taxes was denied entry into Clarkstown schools, they would have a multi million dollar lawsuit on their favor, plus front page headlines, plus criminal convictions for town officials.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:46 PM

By the way, I grew up in the exact neighborhood you describe, about 20 years ago. The zoning hasn't changed since then.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,425 times
Does anyone know the name of the hospital in Ramapo county, spring valley in 1966. I am an adoptee born in this city/county and have no hospital or doctor on my birth certificate. I have been told it is now defunct as a hospital. I have a goal of finding any relatives and this has been a long and discouraging journey. Anyhow, any info would be appreciated.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 AM

3,291 posts, read 3,181,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra_who View Post
Does anyone know the name of the hospital in Ramapo county, spring valley in 1966. I am an adoptee born in this city/county and have no hospital or doctor on my birth certificate. I have been told it is now defunct as a hospital. I have a goal of finding any relatives and this has been a long and discouraging journey. Anyhow, any info would be appreciated.
The hospital you are refering to was know as Spring Valley Hospital, I was also born there in 1960. Although the hospital is long closed the building still exists. For years it was used as a goverment building for the community of New Square and appears now to be a medical center for the same community.

The building is located on Rt45 (North Main St) approx 2-3 miles south of the intersection of New Hempstead Road. Possibly records from this facility are on record in the Spring Valley town hall.

Good Luck.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,315 times
Hi,

I will like to know, how to get to Hillburn, NY from NYC? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York