U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 PM

23 posts, read 62,128 times
Default Help us decide where in NY is the safest, nicest, least expensive, best place to live from this list or any other place

I am from S.C. and my boyfriend and I are looking to move up to NY. We are 24 and 27 and will be getting married in the next couple years and a couple years after probably start a family. We are looking for our next home to be in a safe, nice area that we can afford. I am a home child care provider as well so a family oriented area would be great. But we also are young, and enjoy going out on the town and shopping and such. I pulled some listings for NY and have found these citys to be in our price range but I want to make sure that they are places where I will feel safe as a young female and when I have a family I don't have to worry too much about something bad happening. Below is the list of towns I found, I'd love to get your input on each and any other places that would be nice for us. I also want to make a smart investment with the property and area I buy in.
Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say.

-ST.WALDEN
-HIGHLAND
-GRAHAMSVILLE
-MONTICELLO
-LIBERTY
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 22 days ago)

30,328 posts, read 35,043,311 times
This might help:http://www.city-data.com/city/Monticello-New-York.html

http://www.city-data.com/zips/12740.html (Grahamsville)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Highland-New-York.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Liberty-New-York.html

Not sure about St. Walden, as I couldn't find a community of that name. I hope the other information helps.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:24 AM

8 posts, read 37,131 times
I currently live near Monticello. If you're looking for nightlife, it's not here. There are a few bars in the area, but they aren't anything to brag about. The only time the bars are crowded is during the summer and when us college kids are on break. Liberty doesn't have a nightlife either. As for shopping, the closest mall is 30-40 minutes away (depending on how you drive.) There is also an outlet center about 55 minutes away.
Grahamsville is nice, but it is in the middle of nowhere, and even farther from nightlife and shopping. Plus Grahamsville is a "DRY" town. No bars, and alcohol is not sold in the gas stations. It is very beautiful, but it is remote.
I believe you mean 'Walden' not St. Walden. Walden is nice, it is closer to Middletown where there is shopping, nightlife, lots of places to eat. Same goes for Highland.
As for feeling safe, I KNOW Monticello, Liberty, and Grahamsville are. As for Highland and Walden, I am not too sure how 'safe' they are, but I don't recall ever hearing anything terrible happening.
Hope I helped, if you have any other questions, let me know!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:14 AM

151 posts, read 439,128 times
You can also start by following the local news in Sullivan and Orange Counties. Although I have not read it in awhile I remember the Record covering crime pretty well in those counties. recordonline.com - The Times Herald-Record, serving New York’s Hudson Valley and the Catskills

Old 10-03-2008, 07:54 AM

45 posts, read 94,047 times
WE have had a vacation home in the Monticello area for over 20 years. For young single people, there is nothing to do as far as I am concerned. Your best bet would be in the Middletown area - but even then I wouldn't want to live there full time. You didn't mention your price range - let us know and then you would get better feedback.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:13 AM

151 posts, read 439,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1 View Post
WE have had a vacation home in the Monticello area for over 20 years. For young single people, there is nothing to do as far as I am concerned. Your best bet would be in the Middletown area - but even then I wouldn't want to live there full time. You didn't mention your price range - let us know and then you would get better feedback.
To add to your comment: just realize there are some really bad areas in Middletown.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 PM

79 posts, read 260,487 times
IMO, you are looking at ( the towns you mentioned) at the second home, resort, retirement area. I think you should consider towns that are not tourist towns. Oneonta is a nice college town not to far from the catskills, Cortland would be another, or some of the towns on the outskirts of Binghamton. I just think you would be better off in an area with a mix of people and famlies that are working, and a nearby college would give you a lot more culture. best of luck

Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 AM

23 posts, read 62,128 times
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Our price range is anything up to 150k. I know that is tight, especially in NY, but it is what it is. I might be willing to go just a tad higher a few grand if I reaaaally had to, but I'm trying to keep it maxed at 150. I have found one property that I thought was nice, that I remember off hand and it was in Grahamsville, and from what I have read on this post, thats pretty far from everything. My question is how far is it from everything(ie. shopping, and such)?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:37 AM

8 posts, read 37,131 times
In my opinion, Grahamsville is far from civilization. There is no cell phone reception either. Here is a map of it... grahamsville ny - Google Maps As you can see, there isn't much around. They may or may not have a grocery store, but I'm not sure. If they do, it's very small. If not, the closest is probably about 20 minutes, give or take a few. (In Liberty) As far as bars go, like I said in my last post, it's a dry town. If you want to go clothes shopping, well the eastern part of Sullivan County is kinda far from the mall. You could travel an hour north to Kingston or an hour South to Middletown. In your first post you said you two were young and enjoy shopping and going out... If thats what you enjoy then moving to Grahamsville would not be an ideal location. But hey that's just my opinion... However, it is a beautiful area. Just google it, and do your research. If you can, take a drive to Sullivan County and talk to some locals. Were all pretty friendly here. ; ) Goodluck!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 PM

701 posts, read 2,009,605 times
Not sure how you picked those locations... But may I suggest the Finger Lakes. Perhaps a town like Trumansburg or Watkins Glen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York