Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 04:53 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardito View Post
It all depends on the judge in your county in NY as to whether you will be able to carry a concealed weapon and by the way, that is the only way to carry a weapon so as not to be "brandishing" it! I had a CCW from Michigan when I moved to Chenango County, NY and had all my handguns confiscated by the cops! I had to wait a year and a half to get them back and then only to be locked up in a gun safe out of reach! I am a retired corrections officer and trained in weapons use and had carried for a few years already due to the nature of my work with convicts. But the judge said "no way are you going to carry in my county". So much for that, I won't sell my house and move to the neighbor county that grants the permit. Stupid isn't it?
I think your constitution says you have a right to keep & BEAR arms just like the national one. Maybe you should print a copy & show it to the judge. If that doesn't work talk to your legislature, or move. You pay his salary, it wouldn't sit well with me to pay a man to break the law. All these people & policies bank on us being complacent, they couldn't do it if we didn't allow it. He does not own,dictate to, or legislate for the county, he can only enforce the law, not create it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 04:00 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I think your constitution says you have a right to keep & BEAR arms just like the national one. Maybe you should print a copy & show it to the judge. If that doesn't work talk to your legislature, or move. You pay his salary, it wouldn't sit well with me to pay a man to break the law. All these people & policies bank on us being complacent, they couldn't do it if we didn't allow it. He does not own,dictate to, or legislate for the county, he can only enforce the law, not create it.
I'd bet dollars to dimes that the Judge had a CCP.

Move to Vermont, no ccw required, anyone who can legally own a handgun can carry concealed.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
Another gun question, I have a concealed permit from Nevada, we are moving back to Syracuse in the next few months and was wondering how NYS is about transferring concealed permits--what the process actually is
NY recognizes no other permits. No reciprocity.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Why shouldn't the residents of one municipality enjoy the same rights as the rest of the state?

Honestly, from a self defense point of view they need them more.

As for the inner city folks bringing the anti gun attitude with them when they move, from personal experience I know it to be true. 20 years ago CT was very gun friendly. No permit needed to buy or own one only to carry & no real obstructions at all to excercise your rights. As we turned more into a NYC suburb & they realized that we did not have the restrictions they thought necessary things went downhill. Now you need a permit just to buy a gun to keep in your home, we have an assault weapon ban, 14 day waiting period ect ect. The worst part is its all based on ignorance pushed by people with zero firearms experience.

Its my opinion that all states should have restrictions in place preventing municipalities from revoking civil rights, just as the Constitution should be used to restrict states from doing the same.

If people dont like it they should work to ammending the constitution, not draft legislation that obviously violates it.
If we wind up with a Dem. State Senate, it will be more anti-gun laws. We already have a Dem. gov and Assembly.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states.

Taken from: Firearm Laws for New York (http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm - broken link)
This is from a creditable source. You should have cited it: New York State Rifle and Pistol Association.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone can fill me in on NY's gun laws a bit.

Is there still an assault weapons ban? is there still a high cap mag ban?

I hadn't thought NY had either but I'v gotten conflicting info from different sources so if anyone can provide links that would be great too.

Thanks in advance!
Don't you mean a standard capacity mag ban? New York requires reduced capacity mags.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
So how exactly am I supposed to move there without selling my gun--cant transport or hold one until you have a valid license?
You need to have it sent from an FFL to an FFL. I would suggest immediately making friends with 3 people of good character (with pistol permits is the best) if you want one -- they should live in your town. You need 3 references that the State Troopers WILL interview for your character before you get an permit even that is not for carry. Personally, I would leave the gun with a trusted friend and get here and join a gun club asap and then try for the pistol permit. You can get a non-carry permit if you shoot ( target) at a gun club. If you were military, it is fast ( my son-in-law got his in 3 weeks); if not, it takes longer. the longer you know your references, generally the shorter the time it takes. Unless you are a business owner who needs to protect himself -- as in, carries lots of cash -- or works for a security firm and needs a gun on the job, you will have a wait.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
You need to have it sent from an FFL to an FFL. I would suggest immediately making friends with 3 people of good character (with pistol permits is the best) if you want one -- they should live in your town. You need 3 references that the State Troopers WILL interview for your character before you get an permit even that is not for carry. Personally, I would leave the gun with a trusted friend and get here and join a gun club asap and then try for the pistol permit. You can get a non-carry permit if you shoot ( target) at a gun club. If you were military, it is fast ( my son-in-law got his in 3 weeks); if not, it takes longer. the longer you know your references, generally the shorter the time it takes. Unless you are a business owner who needs to protect himself -- as in, carries lots of cash -- or works for a security firm and needs a gun on the job, you will have a wait.
You'd think that ANY citizen, not just a business owner or security guard, should be able to defend and protect themselves and their assets. After all, when seconds count, the cops are minutes away...

I'm an active duty Naval Aviator, from NY, residing in Virginia Beach. I contacted the Orange County government center to ask about getting my NY ccp (I have a current VA and WV ccp). What a run around! The lady told me I would have to be in town for AT LEAST a month, just for paperwork filing, then have to meet with the Sheriff when he has time.

That was just one of the reasons I chose not to come back to NY when I retire this year.

It's not going to be getting better boys! Remember, we're only "free" to do what we're told.

~Mark

Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,776 times
Default Right to carry?

go to [URL="http://www.gunlaws.com"]www.gunlaws.com[/URL] or try the www.NRA.com (http://www.NRA.com - broken link)

I believe the clip limit is 8 in NY

No one can have a gun in NYC except cops and criminals. That's why crime is so high and the cops are so corrupt!

Peace keeper

Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,200 times
Hi
Very informative site. I am seeking info and/or law citings that describe where an unrestricted permit holder can NOT carry. I noted there was some verbage about Rochester about govt buildings, parks, etc. Im in Erie County Buffalo area. Is there any statewide or federal "no carry" zones? Thanks ahead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York