Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 AM

48 posts, read 171,182 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm retiring from the Air Force next year after 24 years, and thinking of becoming a teacher. I'm originally from New York and would like to go back. I'm considering New Paltz because we like the proximity to NYC and have family upstate, Long Island, and PA. I'm wondering what sort of reputation SUNY New Paltz has, and also if there is a demand for teachers in NY. Do they need teachers in NY or is it oversaturated and hard to find teaching jobs? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:43 PM

48 posts, read 131,508 times
I went to SUNY new paltz and loved it. It is a very diverse community, most people would say it is very very hippie. But it is absolutely gorgeous and very very friendly. As far as teaching jobs, i dont know of any. Ive seen a few in the paper for SUNY new paltz(mostly for psych professors and a piano teacher) and also Marist (which is a better school and not to far from np). An older man that i work with has his masters in economics and teaches as an adjunct at marist, he loves it. u can go to the school websites and check it out. www.sunynewpaltz.edu or the local papers there.. google it. What kind of teaching are u looking to do? I'd submit your resume and credentials anyway, even if there arent any current openings. Also, check out www.th-record.com, thats the paper ive seen a few ads in

Old 01-08-2009, 05:36 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmusaf View Post
Hi, I'm retiring from the Air Force next year after 24 years, and thinking of becoming a teacher. I'm originally from New York and would like to go back. I'm considering New Paltz because we like the proximity to NYC and have family upstate, Long Island, and PA. I'm wondering what sort of reputation SUNY New Paltz has, and also if there is a demand for teachers in NY. Do they need teachers in NY or is it oversaturated and hard to find teaching jobs? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated! Thanks!
it is very hippy and not the good kind of enlightened hippy, its the forced multicultural kind where being white male and american isn;t a good thing. 2/3rd of the students are high and half of the staff.
i know a few teachers there,their affirmative action policy pretty much guarantees if you are a white male you won't be getting much call, at least not tenure.
save yourself the trouble and try suny albany or poughkeepsie

Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 8,200 times
Default Dont even think about it

Stay as far away from SUNY New Paltz as you possibly can. This place has been my HELL for the past 4 years and I'm counting the days until I can leave. They're a bunch of sleezy stuck-up rich little momma's kids who couldn't work a day in their life if they tried. They tattoo their faces and then beg for your money on the streets because they can't find nor want a job. Once the students or the staff find out you were in the military you'd instantly be labeled a "Baby Killer" and be taunted just about every waking moment by these wanna-be hippies. They have a sign up outside of the SUB (Student Union Building) counting the "innocent" people that have been killed in the Iraq war and how much money has gone to it. They have absolutely no idea about history or anything even applicable to real life except how to load a bong. The teaching staff is the same way. If you don't fall into their circle you'll be cast out and most likely not even hired or considered.

Good luck my friend, Thank you for your service and I hope my review helps.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,760 times
I'm inclined to agree with SYB. I absolutely love that area of NY & I feel I have a fairly open mind. SUNY-NP is as "hippie" a college as I've ever seen; and I've been to a lot of campuses on business. You would not be greeted w/ the open mind one would expect from a "forward-thinking" school. About a year & a half ago, I was @ SUNY-NP with a friend's daughter to check it out. I was "admonished" for having a yellow magnetic "support our troops" ribbon on my car. Just had to walk on & remind myself his BS rant to me was the free speech our troops defend every day....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York