Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 PM

145 posts, read 498,849 times

Advertisements

Hi,

What areas in Upstate NY do you think have a large population of artists? We are look for a cute town/city with an artistic pulse....

Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I personally like Ithaca. It's home to Cornell University, Ithaca College, and the resulting "Progressive, Liberal, artsy, fancy-pantsy, political-activist, etc." types of people these two fine institutions breed have helped to transform Ithaca into a shining beacon of culture in Upstate New York. I also hear very good things about Saratoga Springs, Cooperstown, and Skaneateles.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:32 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Buffalo and Rochester have art scenes from what I can tell. I'm hearing about art openings/galleries/artistic neighborhoods in both cities. I'd also say Albany and Ithaca to lesser extents.

Last edited by garmin239; 02-23-2007 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-23-2007, 01:59 PM

417 posts, read 1,890,874 times
A large number of artists who have 'made it' in the NYC scene have places around Bearsville and Woodstock. It's close enough to NYC to keep a part of the scene yet still be able to get away from it. Then again, it became a 'hip' enough area that I guess the scene follows.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:11 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
"Progressive, Liberal, artsy, fancy-pantsy, political-activist, etc." types of people
I'm hoping to find a few of these types of people when we move up to Rochester!! good description LOL

Old 02-23-2007, 03:13 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Most places along the Hudson region are going to be expensive in relation to home prices in the rest of upstate. Skaneateles is also incredibly expensive though there is it's neighbor city Auburn.

The size of the place you want would be important as well as scenery and ammenities. Upstate is much like New England in that there are craftspeople/artists to be found everywhere. If you want scenery and a smaller city there's Canandaigua, Geneva, Watkins Glen, Oswego, the 1000 Islands region, and the Adirondacks as well as those mentioned in posts above.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Most of the towns around Woodstock have small to moderate sized art communities. Phoenicia has one; Saugerties has a larger art community and both towns have art co-ops.

Housing costs in Saugerties is far less than the Woodstock/Phoenicia area. Prices range from $275,000 and up for a 2-bedroom in reasonable move-in condition.

I spent about 6 months contemplating the area and had a great real estate broker show me around. I learned a lot, but decided against a move (much to my chagrin )

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
A large number of artists who have 'made it' in the NYC scene have places around Bearsville and Woodstock. It's close enough to NYC to keep a part of the scene yet still be able to get away from it. Then again, it became a 'hip' enough area that I guess the scene follows.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:09 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,920,896 times
when I moved to my upstate town someone said I hope your not one of those artists... lol Im not btw

Old 02-23-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
when I moved to my upstate town someone said I hope your not one of those artists... lol Im not btw

yeah woodstock, phonecia, etc the 28 and above route. I would suggest looking a little further west of those towns.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
yeah woodstock, phonecia, etc the 28 and above route. I would suggest looking a little further west of those towns.
margaretville, andes perhaps. its rural but pretty = woodstock is a suburb with a nice golf course that makes it look country like. IMO

and there are lots of you artsie fartsie types. lol welcome come on up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York