Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 09:07 PM

160 posts, read 288,413 times

Advertisements

I know this is an Albany forum, but I may be pursuing a position in Lake Placid, and could not locate any forums dedicated to the Lake Placid region.

I am a native Long Islander, now living in Birmingham, Alabama. I have 3 kids between the ages of 5 and 10. I am primarily interested in the best towns to live in around the Lake Placid area that are family friendly, with top notch school systems. Also, any other feedback about living in the Lake Placid area would be very appreciated!

Does anyone have any info to share, or can steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-24-2008 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: moved from the Albany forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:05 PM

518 posts, read 2,007,379 times
Post Lake Placid is muy expensive!

Know there is an excellent private school there...........Northwoods? Not sure if you have to be an athlete in training to attend, but know it is prestigious and very competitive to attend. The real estate market in Lake Placid is in no way in a downturn...............Was there over Columbus Day weekend and traffic was bumper to bumper completely through the town. Talked to a golf pro recently and he said that was the norm now. No down season like it used to be. People who have money still have money. Expensive houses.............No bargains. Maybe if you drive far enough out of the area, but do you have a specific town in mind?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,821,688 times
Actually if you don't mind being outside of town and not having a view, homes are readily available at reasonable prices in Saranac Lake, Ray Brook, Keene, etc.

Yes, waterfront or mountain view property within the Viallage of Lake Placid is outrageous, but surrounding areas, not so much. We recently concluded a search for a second home with those requirements, and decided not to buy in Lake Placid because we couldn't find anything suitable even close to our price range--but we found plenty well below our price range if we were willing to forego the view or live outside of the Village.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
Know there is an excellent private school there...........Northwoods? Not sure if you have to be an athlete in training to attend, but know it is prestigious and very competitive to attend. The real estate market in Lake Placid is in no way in a downturn...............Was there over Columbus Day weekend and traffic was bumper to bumper completely through the town. Talked to a golf pro recently and he said that was the norm now. No down season like it used to be. People who have money still have money. Expensive houses.............No bargains. Maybe if you drive far enough out of the area, but do you have a specific town in mind?
I have just started my research into the area. I attended school at Cortland, and have visited Lake Placid on several occasions, but did not pay attention to the specifics of the area in regards to living there.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:28 PM

Lightbulb There is a new fall/winter guide..........

that was just published by the local area newspapers and the web address for that site is Adirondack Daily Enterprise. I believe that is the newspaper for the entire "tri-lakes" area which includes Lake Placid, Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake. I also found a website for the North Country School which in its ad has the heading learning outside the box and the caption beneath the pic shows a diverse group of kids with crampons on and hiking on snow and ice. The exact quote of the caption says "a standard curriculum taught in an unconventional way. Co-ed boarding and day school for students in grades 4 - 9. I also have seen ads for a Waldorf school in that area as well..................Hopefully these websites will give you more info regarding towns and education. You've probably read this a zillion times if you ever read anything from me regarding this area and schools......but I will say it again. In my city of maybe close to 20,000? people, I have never seen a more wonderful community of educators and teachers who appear not just to have a teaching credential and a teaching "job", but seem to be dedicated with their entire lives to making sure that every child in their care receives the optimum education for their ability. NY, as you know, has the state regents exams for competency and also requires each teacher to have a masters level degree, not the standard bachelors as in most states. I may have paid a bit more in taxes over these years, but I think of that as money I would have paid in private school tuition almost anywhere else in the country. My friends who are all over the US have been amazed at what my children do and learn in school and how thorough their classes are and what the schools here offer children. I have an older child getting a PhD soon and a special needs child who is in a regular classroom with help and teaching assistants, computers, excellent IEPs and mentors as needed. Nothing (sports, music, arts, clubs, whatever) was ever off-limits for either child. If they wanted to do the activity, there were people to assist them. As you can tell, I cannot say enough about the dedication to the young people in this school system and also having year round physical activities is really great. I found that my kids loved doing skiing, skating, and were much more socially active year round than some of my relatives' children in other places or cities/towns. You will find your kids are as busy as they want to be which I feel keeps them positively engaged/not looking around in boredom on the web or whatever..........they are actively engaged in the world around them and have had a marvelous (almost storybook) childhood..... climbing trees, hiking, picking blueberries and sledding, fishing and boating, swimming and making snowmen, etc..........
I wouldn't have changed a thing about their growing up in this area of the country.

I am sorry this is much more than I wanted to write, but I agree that it is well worth the time and effort to check out this area of the country for your children. As you can tell, this is somthing I am very passionate about.......

Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
that was just published by the local area newspapers and the web address for that site is Adirondack Daily Enterprise. I believe that is the newspaper for the entire "tri-lakes" area which includes Lake Placid, Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake. I also found a website for the North Country School which in its ad has the heading learning outside the box and the caption beneath the pic shows a diverse group of kids with crampons on and hiking on snow and ice. The exact quote of the caption says "a standard curriculum taught in an unconventional way. Co-ed boarding and day school for students in grades 4 - 9. I also have seen ads for a Waldorf school in that area as well..................Hopefully these websites will give you more info regarding towns and education. You've probably read this a zillion times if you ever read anything from me regarding this area and schools......but I will say it again. In my city of maybe close to 20,000? people, I have never seen a more wonderful community of educators and teachers who appear not just to have a teaching credential and a teaching "job", but seem to be dedicated with their entire lives to making sure that every child in their care receives the optimum education for their ability. NY, as you know, has the state regents exams for competency and also requires each teacher to have a masters level degree, not the standard bachelors as in most states. I may have paid a bit more in taxes over these years, but I think of that as money I would have paid in private school tuition almost anywhere else in the country. My friends who are all over the US have been amazed at what my children do and learn in school and how thorough their classes are and what the schools here offer children. I have an older child getting a PhD soon and a special needs child who is in a regular classroom with help and teaching assistants, computers, excellent IEPs and mentors as needed. Nothing (sports, music, arts, clubs, whatever) was ever off-limits for either child. If they wanted to do the activity, there were people to assist them. As you can tell, I cannot say enough about the dedication to the young people in this school system and also having year round physical activities is really great. I found that my kids loved doing skiing, skating, and were much more socially active year round than some of my relatives' children in other places or cities/towns. You will find your kids are as busy as they want to be which I feel keeps them positively engaged/not looking around in boredom on the web or whatever..........they are actively engaged in the world around them and have had a marvelous (almost storybook) childhood..... climbing trees, hiking, picking blueberries and sledding, fishing and boating, swimming and making snowmen, etc..........
I wouldn't have changed a thing about their growing up in this area of the country.

I am sorry this is much more than I wanted to write, but I agree that it is well worth the time and effort to check out this area of the country for your children. As you can tell, this is somthing I am very passionate about.......
plattsburgher --
Thank you so much for your insight; that was incredibly helpful. How close do you live to Lake Placid? I did not think that Plattsburgh was within commuting distance; is it?

I have to admit, being a native Long Islander, I always considered upstate NY (in my ignorant youth) to be too rural for my liking. However, now that I have experienced life and have a family of my own, I realize the true beauty of the region that I spent my college years. Unfortunately, I remember Lake Placid to be very isolated, hence my concern about the family aspects.

I will check out the websites you mentioned, and please feel free to offer up any other advice or insight you may have!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM

160 posts, read 562,909 times
Saranac Lake is small, but a real community, and close to LP. I love Plattsburgh, but it's probably too far for a daily LP commute.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:43 PM

Smile You have lived in both populous LI

and another fairly large southern city. Just curious if you think you can adapt to smallish town life? Know your kids will adapt, but can you? There is an unbelievable amount of beauty, but not a lot of "outside" entertainment. I do think that for its size, both LP and SL have more small music venues and arts than most places. Creative people seem to be drawn to the beauty and there are some good venues for plays and concerts in the area...........

Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
and another fairly large southern city. Just curious if you think you can adapt to smallish town life? Know your kids will adapt, but can you? There is an unbelievable amount of beauty, but not a lot of "outside" entertainment. I do think that for its size, both LP and SL have more small music venues and arts than most places. Creative people seem to be drawn to the beauty and there are some good venues for plays and concerts in the area...........
The most important thing to me is having my kids adapt well; I could live anywhere and be happy!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:56 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,223,819 times
Plummeting heating oil and gasoline prices are great news for this cold and spread out area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York