Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,143 times

Advertisements

I can tell you from experience that being a conservative in the Ithaca area (including in the outskirts, where I live) is a real challenge and can be an extremely isolating and lonely experience. Unless you are as thick-skinned as a rhinoceros, a remarkably quick-witted debater, and are prepared to vigorously defend even your most mildly conservative beliefs at every utterance, you will find yourself revealing fewer and fewer of your political beliefs as the days go by. Many conservatives here keep their political beliefs secret and rarely discuss politics because they have learned that expressing their conservative ideas is a quick path to losing potential (or even established) friendships. If you move here, one experience you will have to get used to is encountering people who assume that you are a very left-leaning person and that you enjoy hearing conservative cultural and political leaders insulted and debased, often in a very crude manner. That's how you will learn how respected your point of view really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
State College, PA has very pleasant surroundings and is much more politically conservative for a college town. Tax situation for retirees likely much more favorable. But you'll eat out much better in Ithaca and a home game Saturday at Cornell is un-noticeable vs. what one has to deal with around PSU.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:35 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
Just for my own curiosity, define "pretty high property taxes". I know NYS property tax rates are high. But, for a $200-250K house in the Ithaca area, what would I expect for taxes? And is there some kind of reduction for seniors?
Sorry it took so long for me to see this...

In Tompkins county, it can be as high as $40 on $1000, so if your talking a $200K house, it could be as high as $8K. It depends a lot on the location, so make sure you ask if you ever do any house hunting. We live right over the county line in Schuyler, and it's made a huge difference on our taxes. Then there is the STAR exemption, which helps a little, and Schuyler offers a senior discount (don't know about Tompkins).

We were almost scared off by talk of high taxes, but it turned out to be okay for us. We just factored that into our price point when we were house shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York