Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 PM

17 posts, read 49,566 times

Advertisements

We have lived in many of the areas mentioned here. Houston was great (church, schools in Klein isd, preschools, family gyms, weather and inexpensive fabulous houses-u had to watch the crime rate in pockets of Houston). Nashville was okay (colder than Houston and charlotte, good church, private schools are necessary and housing is so-so and a little harder to find the super suburbia lifestyle but low crime). Charlotte is great for super suburbia (church, school, weather, housing is well over $100 sq ft., good preschools and great shopping). There are a lot of N.E. transplants in Charlotte-Mecklenburg (CMS schools), Monroe, Indian Trail, Waxhaw-Union County Public Schools, Mooresville- Iredell-Statesville Schools, Mooresville Graded Schools and so on. God Bless the people born and raised in Charlotte. They put up with a lot of "we did it this way.....in....." transplant frustration. We have a small % of neighbors from here and there are over 900 houses in our development. They are all good neighbors and friends and are from all over the world but mostly via NY NJ PA. The economy just dipped here so while houses may be a good find; the jobs may be harder to come by. We know way too many people who are unemployed right now. www.charlotte.com is our local paper; enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 07:25 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,495 times
Look into SW Missouri. Family friendly area. Lots of transplants coming in from Cali, but few from east coast. Low housing costs, mild weather, more jobs than other areas, beautiful scenery, low crime, good schools. Really am kind of surprised that it hasn't been discovered yet by the east coasters.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 PM

77 posts, read 238,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Look into SW Missouri. Family friendly area. Lots of transplants coming in from Cali, but few from east coast. Low housing costs, mild weather, more jobs than other areas, beautiful scenery, low crime, good schools. Really am kind of surprised that it hasn't been discovered yet by the east coasters.
I am there and boy let me tell you, the NE has such a higher quality of life in everything from culture to education. A perfect example of this is how sports are more important than academics and such a large amount of people identify themselves with the physical activities of others rather than striving for greater understanding or even taking pride in their states academics rather than sport programs.

Last edited by Gallbaro; 01-03-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 01-03-2009, 06:18 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
MO does not have a booming economy in general, and RE values reflect this quite accurately. However, you do have much better scenery compared with the Great Plains states.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:14 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,495 times
We are not MO fans, and will be leaving the area for a number of reasons, but I stand by the statement that the Springfield area IS a family friendly/safe area for raising kids, which is what the OP was looking for. Was not intending to compare it to NY in any aspect. This place is also a magnet for those looking for a slower pace and high caucasian percentage. Which is actually one of the reasons we are leaving, but is the very reason others move here and love it.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 PM

86 posts, read 192,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Google "Find Your Spot". It will give you a quiz to show you places that conincide with your answers.
Found out that you have to provide personal info in order to get "your spots", they put the terms at the end, or did I miss something letting me know in the beginning?....it is late, so I may have missed it. It would have been interesting to find out where they suggested, I just didn't want anymore junk mail or email.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe530 View Post
What ever you do, please research and VISIT the area you want to go to. To many people move here from NY or points up North only to find out they really don't like it. In the summer it is very hot while the winters will be mild at best. Other groups of people find it hard to be away from family/friends and they just cannot adjust to not having this closeness and they move "back home" with regrets of ever having moved here. Whatever you do, please research and think long and hard about it.
P.S. Do not move anywhere without a job lined up.
I ditto everying JOE530 states. Several friends moved from NY/NJ area to NC and SC and can't wait to move back. Take into consideration what the area offers to do along with your other priorities. Climate is an important consideration for you; what about the humidity, bugs and snakes?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:51 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,249 times
Do your research before moving anywhere. NC's unemployment rate was 7.9% in November the second largest year to year increase of all 50 states (see Fortune magazine). Don't believe the hype.
I'd never move to TN after the latest sludge incident.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
I'd never move to TN after the latest sludge incident.
Equivalent statement: "I'd never move to NY after finding out there are PCBs in the Hudson River."

Old 01-30-2009, 06:43 PM

23 posts, read 119,938 times
maryland is a nice state..we have mild winters and warm summers..it really is only super hot end of July and August. I would suggest the Eastern shore of maryland near the Chesapeake Bay. Look at Cambridge up and coming and great house prices, nice ppl too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York