U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2007, 07:31 AM

524 posts, read 1,643,566 times
Hey bripper you local you! Thanks for stopping here and adding your 2 cents You are a very lucky person to have grown up in Andes....you must have found some fun up in those mountains

Good to hear from an "old-timer"
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 06:07 PM

12 posts, read 48,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
andes1:

You are pathetic. What are you about, anyway? I've read nearly all of your previous posts. You add nothing to these forums that better informs people about the characteristics of New York State. This is why people post and read here on City-Data.com. I will optimistically conclude that you are a teenager by your demeanor and poorly-written posts. I can only hope that maturity will be kind to you. Perhaps in a few years you can return to these forums and make helpful posts, instead of the middle-school nonesense that you posted above.
to know Me is to speak of ME ,NOT ABOUT ME

oh yes the more you say about me "DEmeanor I get"

Old 07-20-2007, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,205 times
Default Andes and cell phone service

My family has been coming to Andes for long weekends and summer vacations since the early '70's. We love the town because the locals are so friendly to weekenders. It doesn't take long before you are on a first name basis with everyone.

Granted, cell phone service is generally not available between Phoenecia and Delhi. However, from our house at 2300 ft elevation, with an outside antenna and signal booster I can usually connect to a cell tower in Delhi. Having reliable cell phone service in Andes would be a real benefit to weekenders, who could then avoid the expense of a land line. It seems that a cell tower could discretely be hidden in a church steeple in town, or added to the cluster of communication towers already at the top of the ski center lift on Mt. Pisgah.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:01 AM

While us full-timers understand that cell phones are very important to many, I don't think you are going to get a cell tower in a church steeple in Andes, and I see those towers on Bobcat and agree that one one more may not make a difference, but that is really up to the Schuman Sisters, and they don't always agree

Honestly, my DelhiTel land line is $25 a month, I am sure Margretville Tel. is not much more and may be less. Relative to your property taxes and the gas you spend to get up here what is $25/month really? One of the many many great things about this area is you can SLOW DOWN, get away from the trappings of urban and suburban. How can you hear the birds, watch the sunsets, or enjoy the deer in your yard if you have a phone attached to your ear all the time? I am half joking, but I am also being honest. To many people, not having cell service is one of the quirks that makes this area so special-we have maintained some of the benefits of the old days, while trying to add some modern amenities-Hey Hogans has pizza now, and it is darn good

Anyway, come up here to relax, have a long breakfast at Cassies, mow the lawn, play some horseshoes and have a great BBQ as the sun sets and the stars come out! Enjoy your weekends here, don't worry about a phone-that is what voicemail and answering machines are for. It can always wait til Monday

Old 07-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
845 posts, read 1,987,734 times
Yeah how come my Iphone don't workie in Andes

Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 PM

780 posts, read 1,595,184 times
We had to drive up through there recently on our way to Oneonta. Can anyone refresh my memory(I was just 5-6 at the time), wasn't Suits Us Farm near Andes? My parents took me there for a few summers as a little girl. It's still as pretty a area as it was when I was there years ago-ah, to drive without sirens, trains, horns and airplanes was nice.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:52 PM

Hey Mom, very close-Suits Us is actually Bovina Center. Bovina is off Route 28 between Andes and Delhi. Suits Us is on Route 5, known as Pink Street to most of us due to the sunsets and Route 5 turns into 10.

Hard to find unless you know how to get there, but that suits us Bovinains just fine Oh, and pun indended.

BovinaCow may have more to add because my guess is they live in Bovina, otherwise their screen name is just cow crazy!

Come back up and visit some time-I guarantee it has not changed and from old pictures compared to now it is just as beautiful now as it was then-perhaps more so as Pink Street homes have been maintained, rehabbed very nicely

Old 09-10-2007, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 9,762 times
Default New to Andes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskill-Wholesaler View Post
Andes, NY is a great place to live, if you would like to stay in the fifties.
Cell Phones due not work here and Work is non-exsistant the two major
utilitie's run the area as if it where 1950 ( MTC - NYSEG ) Well me and,
my family moved here Two years ago. and we see no change even being
attempted by the elected officials. and was wondering what other people
thought of Andes, NY.
Well that original posting is old, but I figured I'd respond anyway. Just moved to Andes recently (and when I say "moved" I mean that we're still stuck working in NYC 3 days a week and come home for the other four. The plan is to move permanently as soon as possible) and I couldn't care less about my cell not working, but I DO care that there is a complete telephone monopoly up here. I grew up in the city and remember when there was only one phone company. There's a reason it's not like that anymore, and I wish Andes had more options, communications-wise. The long distance rates are completely outrageous and we STILL haven't figured out a sensible alternative. We've been relying on Skype a great deal, but that means paying the MTC internet connection. There's no avoiding the MTC.

Andes is a quaint town with gorgeous surroundings, friendly people and a big Summer crowd. We haven't lived here long, but is seems clear to us that Andes suffers from a lack of functionality. There are restaurants (good ones!) and one deli/grocery (with very good pizza, but groceries priced for convenience. Imagine doing all your shopping in NYC at your local Korean fruit market and you get the idea), precious boutiques (with decent prices) and art galleries. But it doesn't add up to what a functioning town needs. A town needs a real grocery store (don't get me wrong, I'm a big Hogan's fan but a bigger grocery or food co-op would be great). A wine shop would be a huge bonus. A hardware store. A pharmacy (that may be pushing it).

I realize these are the conveniences of a larger town. But to truly LIVE in Andes without being a slave to the Price Chopper 11 miles away is near impossible (sorry, the A&P in Margaretville just doesn't cut it). From what I understand, Andes was far more bustling back in the day with a bigger population. Had it's own funeral parlor and not just one but two hardware stores, I'm told.

There's a lovely school here that suffers from a lack of students! What would it take to entice families to relocate here and have their kids grow up here in this terrific town?

Jobs.

Upstate NY and this county in particular have dwindling employment opportunities. The lack of development because of the reservoir is a mixed blessing. It's so beautiful here and unspoiled by the strip malls and sprawl that have ravaged other rural counties, but people need jobs! I have a profession that is extremely portable and I will still likely have to go all the way to Kingston to work! I'm willing to do it, though, because of the major quality-of-life improvement over NYC.

Somehow, Andes needs to become less of a town to shop in and more of a town to live in. That kind of transformation takes big vision, big planning and reasonably large amounts of NY State investment. Andes doesn't even have a mayor. I have no idea how this can be accomplished, but I do so hope it does. This is a really nice town with the potential to be a Really Great Town.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 AM

Oh geez, it sounds as if you are very conflicted, sorry to hear that. We too moved up into the area, a neighboring town but we are at hogans and the Andes hotel and cassies pretty often, and while I agree with all your good points, I have to comment on your negatives.

MTC monopoly-totally agree with you, But remember, we are in rural NY, we had the phone guy here recently-different phone company-and he reminded us that the area had party lines 20 years ago! We are more rural than you are, but you get the idea. So, MTC is the only game in town for now, but it is modern phone service!

Now, regarding the shopping and what is in town, I will share something regarding newcomers and locals. The locals get very offended by the new blood coming in and trying to change the area to suit their needs. It is the common fight of locals and downstaters. The advice that is given to all newcomers is change to your surroundings, don't change the surroundings to suit you. In all honesty, I agree. It sounds like you guys did not fully research the area, its amenities, and what exists and what does not. Hey-Andes is bigger than my town, and we too rely on Delhi for shopping. And really-Delhi is a straight shot on Rt. 28, an easy and pretty ride, and Delhi has almost everything you need. Several liquor stores, PC is new and while the produce stinks-eveything else is decent-far better than Domions-which was the only game in town 2 years ago. Curtis lumver and Ace Hardware, together, have what you need. Several restaurants, etc. I hate to say it-but Margaretville and Delhi are you two shopping towns-Walton may help you but that is your decision

Andes is the way it is because of what it does not have. First, where would you put your supermarket, liquor store, hardware store. There is no where in town where that develpment would hold. Second, if such development took place, your taxes would skyrocket-and Andes taxes are low relative to neighboring towns. And last, the "way" up here is to drive to towns for shopping-this is not LI or NYC, it is just the way it is, and trying to change it will only frustrate you and alienate you in the end.

My advise, rethink your move and move closer to a larger town, or furter east towards Kingston, or just strap your boots on, embrace the way of life, and ENJOY what is offered up here. It is nice to not be in a rush, nice to stop and chat with folks, to help each other, hold doors open. It takes a while to re-adjust, certainly from NYC, but you are lucky to live in Andes and Andes will give you what you want if you can compromise and drive to Delhi once a week.

Get ready for winter, it is coming, be sure to have seasoned wood stacked, and try to shop for 2 weeks at a time. Winter is great up here, and the tree lighting at X-mas in Andes is very "back-in-time." Look forward to it and embrace your new way of life!

Cheers, and see you at Cassies!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
845 posts, read 1,987,734 times
I won't even get into the MTC thing you have a Billionaire who lives a few houses down from the Andes Hotel and he tried and fought with them big time as well so if anyone will jazz it up it would be him. Good luck on that he owns one of the largest communication companies in Italy. The fact that they have high speed Internet at all is amazing. And hey when you pick up the phone do you hear dial-tone? However I do believe MTC and Delhitel violate FCC regulation from fair competition. But hey it's their wire they installed it so it will be a long time before you see anything.

Well if it is just shopping that concerns you then you have to be creative and shop for different things at different places. For instance I buy all local beef and chicken, sometimes lamb or pork - the availability varies and you need to get hooked into the local producers. Same with cheese and milk you can find great local cheeses and there is a local milk producer in Roxbury. Veggies well only in summer obviously but there are local markets that try to carry decent produce thought the year. Given your in the city during the week get all the good stuff at Zabars or whatever and stock up! Get a big freezer. That Slow down cafe place has some local meats, cheeses etc. Heaven on Main St in Bovina has many great baked goods and all kinds of stuff. The list goes on and on.

The reality is here in Delaware County is that a 15 dollar an hour job is a HIGH paying job! Also the reality is that we don't want industrialization so the city people can have a starbucks and Ralph lauren store next to Hoggies. You might have missed the fact that 1000's of people had been fighting the battle against 440ft Industrial Wind Turbines being placed in your view shed that would have compromised your property values and way of life and the town of Andes and Bovina would have gone down the toilet. I rarely even hear the city folk complain about shopping.

So what will replace that? Tourism of course, Agri-tainment? Local farmers arent on board yet to create corn mazes and pumpkin picking for the kiddies that think rural is Central Park.

With the Aman resorts moving in

Amanresorts - Luxury resort hotels Bali, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Morocco, Thailand - home

one of the most prestigious names in Luxury travel things might change. But like many areas like the Western Catskills tourism and local small business is the only way to go; albeit slowly - heck you came just in time for what is quite a renaissance for the area. All that 2nd homeowner money is helping everyone and with that services will expand just not overnight. Hey they just fixed the dam drains down in Andes town no need to rip it up for a price chopper in Andes to put ol hoggies out of business. Also I agree the A&P in Margaretville is a dump, but just purchased by a new developer so things is a changin.

So I would say slow down and smell the roses and pass on the price chopper lettuce... Also Andes was a bustling town before NYC flooded Shavertown - and you have a Town Supervisor Martin T. Liddle which is like a Mayor.

Shavertown, NY (defunct)

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 09-10-2007 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York