Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM

92 posts, read 298,463 times

Advertisements

Cigarette tax, soda obesity tax, new licence plate tax, reviving the state sales tax on clothing, more insurance tax and changes in funding of hospitals and health care. People are outraged and want to leave NY for good.

I just visited the WIXT channel 9 Syracuse website and took a look at the story about cigarette tax and people are mad. I never saw so many people post so many comments about how much they hate New York State(except maybe for here on city data).

Oneidas to challenge Paterson’s Indian cigarette tax bill - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Like I keep telling people, Upstate New York is broke and is in desperate need of finding money. The only way they can get it is to raise taxes. If you are thinking about moving to Upstate NY please do your research first to find out what is really happening. If you live there, I know it's hard, but try to get out of Upstate NY before it's too late.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:54 PM

50 posts, read 185,861 times
IMO, people who want to kill themselves with ciggies and soft ("obesity") drinks deserve to be taxed!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over60 View Post
IMO, people who want to kill themselves with ciggies and soft ("obesity") drinks deserve to be taxed!
You took the words right out of my mouth. In 2006 (I think) my hometown of Scranton, PA enacted a renegade public smoking ban ahead of the rest of the state in the interest of promoting better public health. The belly-aching about it was monumental---it captured every local newspaper headline and was the top story for days on the local television news. Unfortunately Scranton has a HIGH percentage of smokers, and also unfortunate is that there are a plethora of bars and restaurants just outside the city limits that are easily-accessible. As one could guess THEIR business exploded while business at establishments inside the Electric City's boundaries tanked. Eventually legal pressures waged by city business owners alleging that the city's ordinance was trumped by a state clause prohibiting any city besides Philadelphia from having such a ban enacted (don't ask me who the idiot was that came up with that) caused the city to repeal the ordinance, but the lasting legacy was that it "woke up" Harrisburg to pass a STATEWIDE public smoking ban earlier this year.

It's so nice to enjoy our city's nightlife, arts, and fine dining now WITHOUT coming out stinking like an ash tray. Let the smokers go OUTSIDE in the sub-freezing temperatures if they want to smoke so badly. Even in partitioned restaurants the smoky smell was STILL evident, and I'd immediately leave such establishments before the ban was enacted. For smokers to say "don't like it? go somewhere else" is incredulous---when you live in a metroplex DOMINATED by smokers, then where on Earth could I have gone pre-ban to enjoy a night out on the town? Myanmar? Walla Walla? Wasilla?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times
here's another place you can find depressing news. i sure am glad we'er moving cause we can't afford the taxes and have no jobs to pay them. it is getting so rediculous here. as far as the obesity tax, it isn't going to stop with soda (stupid) it will go to fast food and on. soda is not the main contributer of obesity. fast food is. one meal at mc d's has got more calories then a bottle of soda. thank god we'er moving out of this taxed to death once beautiful state.

NBC-WKTV News Channel 2

Old 12-16-2008, 01:00 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Mod cut

and btw its spelled RIDICULOUS with an I. Not "rediculous"

Please though...if you want to whine about NYS and go on and on about how horrible it is hear....do it amongst yourselves.

Enjoy NC (Because i gauarentee that's where all of you little sheep are following the herd too) I lived there for 13 years and it was fine...but sooooooooooooo overrated. And the taxes may be lower..but there are more of them (as well as much higher income taxes...aparently all the people moving down there don't care if the government takss a big chunk of your income as long as they take it directly from your paycheck and not in the form of high property taxes). Just PLEASE...don't be a pathetic loser and come on the NY fourm to bash those of us who enjoy living here. Enjoy your new home wherever it is (although my money is still on NC) but don't think you are special or superior or whatever for doing so!

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-16-2008 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Commenting re: other member

Old 12-16-2008, 03:51 PM

172 posts, read 846,897 times
As I recall, 43 states are currently seeing major budget defecits.

43 states in financial trouble - Dec. 10, 2008

The ones that aren't are North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Indiana, West Virginia, Alaska and Texas.

I think with the exception of Texas, none of those states are hot markets. So what are you going to do, whine about one state as 42 others are suffering as well?

Why preach to the choir?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Post Everyone is hurting.....

Patterson is just one of the first people gutsy enough to lay out some proposals.....

The states that I had looked at as potential new places to live are also hurting, you just won't hear any announcements, but believe me..... crime will begin to rise (a lot!) as police departments are quietly cut and trash pickups will come less often and people will start dumping stuff on the road in some of those states rather than come right out and talk about it.......Drugs/gangs will become even more predominant since less funding is out there busting people and school cuts up here will still give us (NY) decent schools with qualified teachers who have masters degrees, but wow, in certain areas they are already so substantially worse off than we are right now in education, it is going to be brutal for the kids in already barebones school districts.

As far as taxing the sodas, the idea started with the governor of Maine and
actually there is a huge corrolation between sugared sodas and osteoporosis and tooth decay. If you are going to spend money to drink something, at least drink something that the rest of society doesn't have to subsidize for the rest of your life. Also, diabetes comes to mind as I remember my college courses for effects of drinking that crap. Maybe it will make someone (anyone?) actually purchase something healthier........flavored milk, juices, or juice blends, even tea...............I understand about the McDonalds comment however, working in public health makes me see how food stamps and handouts are spent. If we don't take these small steps toward steering people who don't know any better away from things that are bad for them, then we will continue to pay the cost for their hospital problems and increased health issues. Plenty of kids and parents play soccer and baseball, football and go eat a quick meal at McD's. This bill targets those who don't really do that sort of thing. I actually think there should be even stricter rules on food stamps so that we start changing the way uneducated people think about the way diet affects their health.

Haven't you ever seen the guy coughing his lungs out or on oxygen even......just wanting that cigarette as soon as he can get the chance? It's the same thing..........

Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth. In 2006 (I think) my hometown of Scranton, PA enacted a renegade public smoking ban ahead of the rest of the state in the interest of promoting better public health. The belly-aching about it was monumental---it captured every local newspaper headline and was the top story for days on the local television news. Unfortunately Scranton has a HIGH percentage of smokers, and also unfortunate is that there are a plethora of bars and restaurants just outside the city limits that are easily-accessible. As one could guess THEIR business exploded while business at establishments inside the Electric City's boundaries tanked. Eventually legal pressures waged by city business owners alleging that the city's ordinance was trumped by a state clause prohibiting any city besides Philadelphia from having such a ban enacted (don't ask me who the idiot was that came up with that) caused the city to repeal the ordinance, but the lasting legacy was that it "woke up" Harrisburg to pass a STATEWIDE public smoking ban earlier this year.

It's so nice to enjoy our city's nightlife, arts, and fine dining now WITHOUT coming out stinking like an ash tray. Let the smokers go OUTSIDE in the sub-freezing temperatures if they want to smoke so badly. Even in partitioned restaurants the smoky smell was STILL evident, and I'd immediately leave such establishments before the ban was enacted. For smokers to say "don't like it? go somewhere else" is incredulous---when you live in a metroplex DOMINATED by smokers, then where on Earth could I have gone pre-ban to enjoy a night out on the town? Myanmar? Walla Walla? Wasilla?
I agree, I am against smoking also. Banning smoking to help save the people of your state is a great idea. New York is broke and it's love for the people is gone. They can't afford to ban the highly taxable cigarette. It is trying to come up with more taxes to pay it's bills, knowing that it will force more people to move but has no choice at this point.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Mod cut

and btw its spelled RIDICULOUS with an I. Not "rediculous"

Enjoy NC (Because i gauarentee that's where all of you little sheep are following the herd too) I lived there for 13 years and it was fine...but sooooooooooooo overrated. And the taxes may be lower..but there are more of them (as well as much higher income taxes...aparently all the people moving down there don't care if the government takss a big chunk of your income as long as they take it directly from your paycheck and not in the form of high property taxes). Just PLEASE...don't be a pathetic loser and come on the NY fourm to bash those of us who enjoy living here. Enjoy your new home wherever it is (although my money is still on NC) but don't think you are special or superior or whatever for doing so!
Again, when you make up stuff about a state like NC it makes you sound jealous. Like maybe you made a mistake moving away from there.

I'minformed2 said I'm not special because I was smart enough to move out of NY.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post
As I recall, 43 states are currently seeing major budget defecits.

43 states in financial trouble - Dec. 10, 2008

The ones that aren't are North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Indiana, West Virginia, Alaska and Texas.

I think with the exception of Texas, none of those states are hot markets. So what are you going to do, whine about one state as 42 others are suffering as well?

Why preach to the choir?
Because NY and it's rust belt cousins are in a different situation than other states that are in temporary deficits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York