Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM

15 posts, read 225,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

YouTube - NYC Governor Plans Unique New Taxes

Good time to start cutting that spending!

well with all the new taxes he is definetly keeping his word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 06:26 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,652 times
So why are taxes so high in NY? What happened? Is it the city? Too many layers of govt? Complacency?

According to this chart, NY was second in tax burden for 2008:

http://www.retirementliving.com/tax_burden_2008.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-29-2008, 03:07 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,059 times
As a young adult (24), living in NY for my whole life... I can say without a doubt that I won't be staying in the state any longer than absolutely necessary (building work experience). I consistently vote down spending increases, but the morons out there keep saying 'more is better'.

Take our latest vote (in E. Irondequoit - north of Rochester, NY) to vote for a $72.3 million capital project for the school district.
http://www.mpnnow.com/towns/irondequ...apital-project

Of course all of the things addressed in the project are imperative for kids to keep learning... oh wait... NOT EVEN REMOTELY.

New swimming pool. NO!
New stadium field. NO!
Updated kitchen/cafeteria. NO!

All of this NONSENSE after people were told that the state would drastically be cutting funding for schools in the upcoming year(s). I don't understand how people can be this stupid. It just blows my mind.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:13 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
As a young adult (24), living in NY for my whole life... I can say without a doubt that I won't be staying in the state any longer than absolutely necessary (building work experience). I consistently vote down spending increases, but the morons out there keep saying 'more is better'.

Take our latest vote (in E. Irondequoit - north of Rochester, NY) to vote for a $72.3 million capital project for the school district.
East Irondequoit voters approve $72.3 million capital project - Rochester, NY - MPNnow

Of course all of the things addressed in the project are imperative for kids to keep learning... oh wait... NOT EVEN REMOTELY.

New swimming pool. NO!
New stadium field. NO!
Updated kitchen/cafeteria. NO!

All of this NONSENSE after people were told that the state would drastically be cutting funding for schools in the upcoming year(s). I don't understand how people can be this stupid. It just blows my mind.

I also voted no to this BS project, but the education unions have the public brainwashed. They say taxes won't be raised to build the crap. But what about upkeep? What about the state cuts in funding? Irondequoit is using reserve funds to build some of these things which they should save to replace missing state funding.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:32 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
The gov should raise taxes on everyone earning more than 250K, with a higher increase for those earning over 500K and another for those earning over 1M. And he should not cut a penny from education or health. It is an outrage to cut education and health at a time when communities across the state are struggling to survive. And he should stop all of those little taxes that we will all need to pay. People struggling on 50K or 100K a year should not have to pay additional taxes. Although I would support a tax on private and parochial schools, with the money going to the public schools.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:28 PM

151 posts, read 713,745 times
Upstate NY does not have a voice because of NYC. It is time for upstate NY to break away from the tax and spend liberals. Let NYC keep Patterson.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:03 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
Upstate NY does not have a voice because of NYC. It is time for upstate NY to break away from the tax and spend liberals. Let NYC keep Patterson.
"Tax and spend liberal"? What decade are you in? I suppose you prefer a Give It All Away to the Rich Republican? Are you one of those people who earn under 200K whose taxes would have been much much higher under McCain but who voted for him anyway? I never understand the middle-class people who fall for the Republican's populist BS even though all they do is raise taxes on the middle class and cut taxes for the rich. It is unbelievable!!!

The problem with Patterson is that he is acting like a Republican. Not raising income taxes on the wealthy and instead raising and adding across-the-board taxes that hit the middle-class. And he is cutting funding to schools and education, which of course means that our town and county taxes will have to go up to keep things running.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:14 AM

155 posts, read 849,530 times
If I see one more person spell the Governor's name with an extra 't ' I'll scream- it is Paterson, not Patterson. Picky I know, but it's amazing how more people than not throw in the extra t.

Also, maybe it's just me, but why would the OP put quotation marks around "I plan on keeping NY the most taxed state in the union"? Again, being overly schoolmarmish here, but Paterson did not say this, so one should not imply that he did. In fact (being overly technical here perhaps) NY is not the most taxed state in the union (though we are consistently in the top 5 in certain interpretations), and our state income tax rate is not the highest. It's our local property tax that strangles us. Is Albany to blame for this? Yes and No, and it is certainly worthy of debate, but I think you'll see many once booming states begin to experience the same maladies that we've faced for decades as one of America's 'older' industrial states.

Last edited by rug city; 12-31-2008 at 08:43 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 08:38 AM

10 posts, read 22,033 times
I'll be paying city and state tax, and from what I hear most NYC public schools are nowhere near as good as those in the burbs. Of course, property tax in the burbs is high.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 AM

151 posts, read 713,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
"Tax and spend liberal"? What decade are you in? I suppose you prefer a Give It All Away to the Rich Republican? Are you one of those people who earn under 200K whose taxes would have been much much higher under McCain but who voted for him anyway? I never understand the middle-class people who fall for the Republican's populist BS even though all they do is raise taxes on the middle class and cut taxes for the rich. It is unbelievable!!!

The problem with Patterson is that he is acting like a Republican. Not raising income taxes on the wealthy and instead raising and adding across-the-board taxes that hit the middle-class. And he is cutting funding to schools and education, which of course means that our town and county taxes will have to go up to keep things running.
I see we have a two party team playing Kool-Aid drinker that will typically hold to making false assumptions about other posters if they do not support big government through increased taxes and more spending. Your assumptions about me politically are false and your blanket about Republicans is technically inaccurate.

I make under 200k and because of that received a tax break by Bush that Obama and McCain at one time wished eliminate. I also recieved the highest payroll and SSI tax increase in American history under Clinton. I have consistently seen the liberals here in NY raise every type of tax imaginable but continue to propose wreckless spending increases for schools and other projects. Property taxes here in NY in many areas have tripled in the last 8 years. The Democrats have a clear record and are quite vocal about increasing spending and raising taxes which is part of the platform.

McCain was no different from a Democrat in that respect and changed his tune late in the game to appeal to Conservatives. As well as Obama's tax plan up until July 07 was raising my SSI and a significant tax increase for anyone over 90k and all singles over 50k. Obviously he changed his tune by September but I tend to believe Obama and McCain's true beliefs are with their earlier statements. Bush and the neocon Republicans spent like drunken sailors on shore leave which is pretty much in line with policies of the DNC.

The reality is both parties are dominated by big government interventionist globalists that consistently spend and raise taxes. Until people like you wake up to that and elect fiscal conservatives that do not believe in big government I will continue to be raped at all levels of government thanks to people like you.

Because of the worship government attitude I can no longer afford to stay in NY and are in this forum researching areas to relocate to. Which again we can thank the ignorance of the liberal government loving low and middle class here in NY that continues to elect people that will continue to spend and raise their taxes.

Last edited by jpicard; 12-31-2008 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York