Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
The economy may have looked like it increase 18% but it was mostly inflation. I agree that wages for every one have been really bad. No matter what was going to happen taxes are going to be raised so increasing the working class benefits. Which is probably 25 to 30% of the state of ny is not going to change much. Population decline would actually probably be a good think because I believe that we are running a state and local budget that is more than need for the population. They keep taking more from the people that are here instead of adjusting and changing which is wrong.

You were complaining...How many letter have you written to congress, president, senate, and local government. How many town meetings have you gone too? Or do you let the press tell the story. The one thing I agree with you though moving is a very smart idea. That is probably the best move because it is easier to change yourself verse changing government or people *** .
*** Truer than fact....if anyone thinks a few enlightened people trying to speak up against the corrupt government that is NY are going to make a difference, you're not aware of the disease called "staus quo".....change is hard in any aspect of life and when you have the leeches that have made milking taxpayers monies an art form, change is practically impossible.

I'm sure in due order, as the rank and file move out of NY in droves, the bloodsuckers of downstate will look up and wonder what's going on as their hosts (the middle class taxpayers of upstate) disappear...

I hope I'm basking in southern obscurity at that point

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 01-01-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 AM

51 posts, read 171,537 times
I remember when I was younger there was a proposal to split the state into 2 separate states (upstate and downstate). I thought it was a crackpot idea at the time. It's looking more and more appealing...

I'm willing to bet that most of his proposed taxes go through, they're couched in such a way that we "have to do it" now that Wall Street isn't the cash cow for Albany to milk.

If only we could divorce ourselves from downstate. At the very least it's tax! tax! tax! mentality...

Old 01-01-2009, 11:31 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
*** Truer than fact....if you think a few enlightened people trying to speak up against the corrupt government that is NY are going to make a difference, you're not aware of the disease called "staus quo".....change is hard in any aspect of life and when you have the leeches that have made milking taxpayers monies an art form, change is practically impossible.

I'm sure in due order, as the rank and file move out of NY in droves, the bloodsuckers of downstate will look up and wonder what's going on as their hosts (the middle class taxpayers of upstate) disappear...

I hope I'm basking in southern obscurity at that point
Good luck, I will be joining you in leaving this state that used to be great.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Uno View Post
I remember when I was younger there was a proposal to split the state into 2 separate states (upstate and downstate). I thought it was a crackpot idea at the time. It's looking more and more appealing...

I'm willing to bet that most of his proposed taxes go through, they're couched in such a way that we "have to do it" now that Wall Street isn't the cash cow for Albany to milk.

If only we could divorce ourselves from downstate. At the very least it's tax! tax! tax! mentality...
It is a good Idea but it I doubt it ever would happen

Old 01-01-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Good luck, I will be joining you in leaving this state that used to be great.

As I reflect, it's occurred to me that the State New York, with it's claim of being the birthplace of the Big Apple, is now rotting from it's very core as result that the city .....how sadly ironic

As Rome goes, so does NYS

Good Luck to you too and will the last one out, please turn off the lights.....

Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM

161 posts, read 489,172 times
I heard about the "split-state" thing also but I'm not holding my breath.

There are some people that have lived on welfare benefits before 1990 and they are still on it. Some are working under the table. Some aren't working at all--'cuz they don't want to and not being made to.
I forget who proposed it but what happened to the five-year lifetime welfare benefits limit?

I know it's hard. I was a teenage mother on welfare in the mid 80s. In two years time, I went to school (I wasn't on drugs or had more kids), got a degree, got a job, got off welfare and stayed off welfare. I have owned my home for many years since. I know that many people have done this also but it's worth repeating that a person can only do it if he/she wants it bad enough.

I have lived in Rochester all my life. I have wrote letters, gone to meetings, called in to programs but all of that has ran its course now. That saying "stick a fork in me, 'cuz I'm done" applies to me.
The overall quality of life for my family & I will improve will once we leave NYS. I know there are others that feel the same way.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
NY has had high axes for....ever. It only became something that was "forcing people out" over the past 10 years because the south and west got really popular. Moving to the south solve all your problems? Well the property taxes are lower, and the weather is warmer. The job market used to be better but those days are gone. Either way you shouldn't think that your lives will be outstandingly better by moving anywhere. I see that too often. The cost of living is without a doubt....no different if not more expensive in many areas of the south than Rochester. Not too long ago I would have added "the job market is better down there so if you have no job here and a job lined up there it can be an economical move"...but that's not the case anymore. That is something that should REALLY be emphasized and something they try desperately to emphasize on the NC forum because it's a really big and dangerous misconception. Jobs down there in previously promising and resilient job markets are few and far between and becoming even harder to land because people form the midwest, northeast, west coast, and florida all think they can move there with no job and find one easily...NOT. So now the job markets are FLOODED with people who have moved or want to move thinking they will easily find a job. Charlotte is much worse off than the triangle (raleigh durham area). Forbes and money magazines have done a really good job at talking up many of these areas...nashville, raleigh, charlotte, atlanta, virginia, etc...so now way too many people expect too much moving there. I know we did!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 AM

I'minformed certainly has the most personal experience having lived in the south and I have friends who also moved to Myrtle Beach and hated it and are back (pay lower, weather too steamy in the summer, and southern mentality in general got to them). Family in the Triangle tell me it's much costlier to live there than upstate, sans the taxes but for them, jobs and weather win .....

Our decision was cast years ago and have been planning on moving, debt free, kids grown-up, health intact, to a quieter area of VA. (although, it's surely growing faster there than here). I just know the cost of living here will continue to rise and personally, I'm just frankly sick of dealing with winter...I don't like snow, won't miss the snow, and I hate the constant cloudiness....and when one grows "older" , those come to the forefront in the decision of where to spend your later years....

I hope, for my kids, who are happily employeed in NY, that things do turn around but we told them our door will be open if they are looking for any changes of scenery

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 01-02-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 02:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
Right...I'm not saying that nobody should move or anything like that...just that there are too many people who expect too much from a move. If winter weather really gets to you..then yes, Rochester is probably not the place for you. And there isn't a day that goes by where I don't miss only having property taxes of 2k on a $300k house (though that was 7 years ago and the taxes would probably be higher and that house worth closer to 400k now); but its all relative really. For me, property taxes up here aren't "worth it", in the sense that I think they can be justified and that they should be that high...but they are a problem that I can just "Get over" and deal with because I am otherwise happier with the way things are up here. But that's just not the case for some people. Similarly; on the opposite end of the spectrum; many people in the south may not think that the oppressively hot summers or different culture (if they are a transplant) are "enjoyable" ;but just something that they can deal with or get over in light of other things they enjoy about the area.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 PM

161 posts, read 489,172 times
I know a couple of people who moved to "hotlanta" or "atl" a few years back when atlanta was really being hyped up as the place to go, along with the Carolinas. Boy, were they disappointed! They could have avoided the u-turn if they did their own research first rather than relying only on what other people said. I wouldn't move anywhere without having a job & a place squared away first but that's me.

True, there are issues no matter where you go but harsh winters, taxes, housing, jobs, cost of living, state issues etc. has indeed taken its toll on me personally. My husband wanted to move years ago. The decision to move was already made--it was just where & when. Research helps alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York