U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 PM

99 posts, read 273,981 times

Advertisements

After all the time I spend looking at places to live , Im getting reasonably good at determining house prices ,and decent neighborhoods but still no clue regarding property taxes...

I know there are a bunch of similar posts, but also a lot of conflicting data..I used to just look at houses for sale that listed current taxes, but now Im hearing that when you buy a home the numbers that the last guy payed are irelevent ..HELP!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,646,079 times
This can be complicated. When looking at taxes posted in listings you have to make sure that the full amount is stated not including any veterans exemptions or star program (homestead) exemptions.

Assessments are done locally by municipalities on no particular timetable. To be safe you should anticipate paying in tax whatever the local tax rates for (city, county, town, and other special assessments, plus school) times whatever you paid for the house. You may get away for a year paying whatever the previous owners had been paying, possibly longer, or maybe not at all. You'll need to find out the tax rates for each house's particular area and circumstance which a realtor should be able to provide. You also need to question whether there will be any forseeable future assessments as in the case when a new sewer or water line is first put into a neighborhood.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:04 AM

472 posts, read 772,290 times
It depends on the municipality. I purchased my house in April 2008 and my property tax assessment remains unchanged. I'll pay 3% more than the previous owner did last year... but that was the voted upon increase.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:17 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,865,854 times
I laughed so hard when I read the title of this thread. "Property Taxes - Please HELP!!!" is the cry of virtually every New York State resident!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 PM

151 posts, read 635,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I laughed so hard when I read the title of this thread. "Property Taxes - Please HELP!!!" is the cry of virtually every New York State resident!
Exactly. I have lived here all my life and do not want to leave, but seems I am being forced out due to NY counties having the highest property taxes in the nation.

Property Tax on Owner-Occupied Housing, by County, Ranked by Property Taxes as a Percentage of Home Value*, 2005-2007 Average http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/24051.html

Property Tax on Owner-Occupied Housing, by County, Ranked by Property Taxes Paid*, 2005-2007 Average
http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/24052.html

Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,394,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
Exactly. I have lived here all my life and do not want to leave, but seems I am being forced out due to NY counties having the highest property taxes in the nation.

Property Tax on Owner-Occupied Housing, by County, Ranked by Property Taxes as a Percentage of Home Value*, 2005-2007 Average http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/24051.html

Property Tax on Owner-Occupied Housing, by County, Ranked by Property Taxes Paid*, 2005-2007 Average
The Tax Foundation - Property Tax on Owner-Occupied Housing, by County, Ranked by Property Taxes Paid*, 2005-2007 Average
Many western states have strong county governments (and thus taxes lol) but then have limited local government (weak towns and no villages). The New England states have the opposite - strong towns with weak or non existent county governments.

Here in New York --- we have both! Our towns are like New Englands and essentially act like small cities. But we also have strong counties - especially in the more built up areas like Suffolk, Nassau, Westchester, Monroe, Erie etc and they act like Metropolitian districts.

But then there is the ...... schools.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,267,024 times
Northeastcouple, I wish I had encouraging words for you. I love NY state & have lived here for 25+ years.
I do not know if I will be able to stay. Our taxes - it seems () go up at the drop of a political hat.

I have been trying to choose between staying in NY or hiking to greener pastures...now it seems the choice might be made for me. As much as I am no fan of a northeast winter, I could stay if only the taxes weren't such an issue. Assessments arrive in the mail with barely any time to challenge them; and they rarely get much of a reduction when you do.

Sad... such a pretty state, so much to do, great people....all gonna suffer the tax man.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,705,878 times
Just spent a good part of the evening reading a magazine about the best places to retire in the country and not once does a NY town/city or even a NE state appear .. All southern and western cities

And the places that we are interested in have homes that are taxed a 1/3 of what we presently pay in taxes on an average home in upstate

Plan on being out of NY in three years....hope we're not the last ones out

Old 01-20-2009, 05:21 AM

2,515 posts, read 4,267,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Plan on being out of NY in three years....hope we're not the last ones out
Please hold the door for me; I'm right behind ya!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 AM

2,502 posts, read 5,456,818 times
We've been trying to move, but it's a difficult market to sell in...reason...taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York