Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,285 times

Advertisements

My son is STILL trying to decide between SUNY Plattsburgh, SUNY Buffalo & SUNY Potsdam. Does anyone have any comparative insight? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM

59 posts, read 287,918 times
Buffalo gets alot of snow, blowing and drifting. Plattsburgh is very close to Canada; does he speak French - lots of French radio, etc. I say Potsdam, very good Criminal Justice program, good education for the cost.

I know not very scientific, but maybe that will help a little.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbean8 View Post
Buffalo gets alot of snow, blowing and drifting. Plattsburgh is very close to Canada; does he speak French - lots of French radio, etc. I say Potsdam, very good Criminal Justice program, good education for the cost.

I know not very scientific, but maybe that will help a little.
It does help, thanks! We are in the Rochester area, so Buffalo would be the closest. Potsdam has three other schools near it so is the quintessential college town. Plattsburgh almost has a New England/Canadian feel. I think he is leaning towards the latter, especially since he wants an accounting degree.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:38 PM

59 posts, read 287,918 times
Any of those schools are really good. I think NY has great State schools; I should have gone, but I went private and still paying back my student loans. I was a Marketing/Management major for three years until I decided I didn't like math, weird huh? I changed to Sociology, no math; but kind of a fun subject.

Whatever school he decides upon, I wish him much luck!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbean8 View Post
Any of those schools are really good. I think NY has great State schools; I should have gone, but I went private and still paying back my student loans. I was a Marketing/Management major for three years until I decided I didn't like math, weird huh? I changed to Sociology, no math; but kind of a fun subject.

Whatever school he decides upon, I wish him much luck!

Thank you very much!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
I'm from Rochester and went to Plattsburgh. I think its important to go to college in a place not close to home. In Buffalo, he would be too close to home. Plattsburgh is good for accounting. Potsdam is also a nice school.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Post Maybe I am biased, but........

I have a college-age daughter and she ended up going to a specialty school in a larger city away from here. Comments I heard from her friends' parents whose children attended other schools around NYS were that Potsdam, St. Lawrence are good schools, but the community there is very small, and the roads to and from are fairly smallish highways that get a lot of blowing snow and bad weather. To me, not optimal driving conditions for kids.......
Buffalo I heard is huge........huge campuses, class sizes, and there is a tendency for kids to get 'lost' as in any huge school. Think Pburgh has a good reputation, good mix of Long Island, Albany, NYC and rural/small town NY kids, plus some Canadian students as well and also has several community/college organizations for learning interaction and responsibility to your neighborhoods and communities.

And, no you don't have to learn French to come to Plattsburgh. I think that was a joke, right? It is fun to go to Montreal, though......and the Canadian studies program is one of the best. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I'm from Rochester and went to Plattsburgh. I think its important to go to college in a place not close to home. In Buffalo, he would be too close to home. Plattsburgh is good for accounting. Potsdam is also a nice school.

That is my thinking exactly. Being several hours away from home makes one a little more self-sufficient.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
I have a college-age daughter and she ended up going to a specialty school in a larger city away from here. Comments I heard from her friends' parents whose children attended other schools around NYS were that Potsdam, St. Lawrence are good schools, but the community there is very small, and the roads to and from are fairly smallish highways that get a lot of blowing snow and bad weather. To me, not optimal driving conditions for kids.......
Buffalo I heard is huge........huge campuses, class sizes, and there is a tendency for kids to get 'lost' as in any huge school. Think Pburgh has a good reputation, good mix of Long Island, Albany, NYC and rural/small town NY kids, plus some Canadian students as well and also has several community/college organizations for learning interaction and responsibility to your neighborhoods and communities.

And, no you don't have to learn French to come to Plattsburgh. I think that was a joke, right? It is fun to go to Montreal, though......and the Canadian studies program is one of the best. Good luck with your search!
We were very impressed with Plattsburgh when we visited there last summer. The campus had almost a New England feel with quite a few people from downstate. College should be about new experiences & Buffalo might be a little too "local." Potsdam might be a little too "rural," although my husband went to Clarkson and loved it. Thanks so much for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York